It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girls, engagement rings, do you care about the size?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Girls, as to engagement rings, do you care about the size? I think the size is not an issue, as long as it fits your finger, right? But my gf don't think so. The other day, I bought this pair of rings for her. Who knows, she said it not big enough. And she even implied the size is sort of matters.. If I don't get a good ring- then what does that say for the rest of the relationship or marriage... It predicts bad things! I'm so confused now. So, what's your opinion?
edit on 1/14/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: spam link removed

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
my opinion is...she should like the damn thing if you spent all the money on it. its not the size that counts...its the motion in the, oh wrong topic, it should be the fact that you did it for her. you know, a "its the thought that counts" type of thing. i'm not a girl but still. it should be the thought that counts. you did for her what you could.
edit on 14-1-2011 by zak89 because: left out statements to make point

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kimkim3074

I've been married for 20 years and still don't have a diamond. Talk about a conspiracy and a rip off. What I do have is the most goregous pale aquamarine that is more beautiful than any diamond and 1/30th the price.

You can also buy White Zircon (a natural stone),that looks like a diamond for a fraction of the price. There are so many gorgous stones, that are equally beautiful, but more unique. Why are women so caught up in this? Buy any setting your girlfriend wants....platinum, from Tiffanys....whatever....and put a quality CZ (cubic zirconia) in it. No one but a jeweler will ever know. Take the money and do something you will never forget together. Congrats.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

RUN, run as fast as you can.
If she is so shallow that she is basing your love for her on an artificially price inflated piece of carbon the future doesn't look good.

I'm stunned that she would even mention the size of the diamond other than to say "I love you so much".

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
My opinion, you both go shopping for the ring. If she is only a girl friend don’t spend too much. It’s not an engagement ring for god’s sake. Unless it is of course an engagement ring then you could decide on your budget first. But take her to choose it, she is the one who has to wear it after all.
I personally chose all of my engagement, wedding and eternity rings. Why? Because I know about shiny things.

my fav shop Michael Hill

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
ANY woman who complains about the ring and it's size or anything is ungrateful.

I worked in a jewelry store and it amazed me at how ungrateful a lot of women were when it came to rings or gifts involving jewelry period.

It is the GESTURE that counts and what it means not the damn ring size.

My man could have given me a gumball machine ring and I would have been happy.

It's the meaning not the ring that should matter.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Exactly, shallowness or what.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
What a ring that is.. what a ring. Good choice,.. good choice.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimkim3074
If I don't get a good ring- then what does that say for the rest of the relationship or marriage... It predicts bad things! I'm so confused now. So, what's your opinion?

I agree with you there. My first engagement ring was a tiny little speck of a diamond and I LOVED it, because it came from the man I adored! I was over the moon that he wanted to marry me. That's how it should be. He was in basic training and I knew he couldn't afford a lot. Sounds like your gf has other priorities, sadly...

My second engagement ring was a sapphire earring.
We each wore one of the set. Now, that's sexy!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I had picked out a few rings and then took my wife to see them, she loved them all
but once she saw the price tag, said "no way". I had picked out some very nice $2-3k rings.

She absolutely would not let me do it.

She picked out a very beautiful ring and we didn't spend over $500.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

size totally matters if she knows you can afford better, if she knows you cant, then she is ungrateful and run!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

While, I personally, wouldn't want to hurt my partner's feelings in the way you describe, there are many factors to consider when it comes to engagement ring selection.

I will admit that I am an *anomaly* in that I am taller than the average female (5'9"+ if I'm not slouching) and my hands are *very* long with skinny fingers, etc. (I can span an octave on the piano with ease and "palm" a basketball!
) So, no matter the cost, I personally like *big* rings just so that they don't get lost on these long fingers.

If this is *not* the case with your girlfriend, she is not being appreciative...and I would, personally, question her motives and/or loyalty.

90+% of the time, I am happily married for over ten years!

My engagement present was not a ring initially...although I have been blessed with other jewelry since.

Practically speaking, at the time that my man proposed to me, I was in need of a new car. Imagine my surprise when I looked out the window of my house after he called me asking me: Be My WIFE? A brand new BMW with a bow wrapped around it sitting in my driveway!

Now granted, that sounds materialistic in itself, but he was simply replacing the car (a necessity) I was accustomed to, with a love of his (cars), and I find that VERY romantic. Ten years later, I still remember that day, and all of the other similar creative, genuine gestures he's come up with on anniversaries, birthdays, etc. It keeps the flame burning, so to speak....

I guess my point is, have you explored that a *ring* is really what she wants? What feeds her needs/passions? It need not be high-cost at all....this is where creativity, romanticism, and realism all intertwine....

Maybe it is not a ring after all....and until you explore this with her, you can't really judge her based on the info. gained from your OP.

Best of luck to you and her....if this is what you both want

edit on 14-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Here is my answer.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Always the bigger the better! Woman folk dont' want no pipsqueek diamond-- they always wanna show of a big rock and says "Look at me and my new fancy jewelry!'

Dont' try and trick hers with a fake diamond-- if she finds out you'll be sleepin on the picnic table for two years like I hads to

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
So we have gathered here in this thread to understand one thing, only materialistic rubbish pleases females, lol.

I am so glad i never got involved.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by inchworm
"Look at me and my new fancy jewelry!'

Rather than "look at me and my new fianceé"...kinda says it all really.

Dont' try and trick hers with a fake diamond-- if she finds out you'll be sleepin on the picnic table for two years like I hads to

2 years....lol Was it wood or just fake wood?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Y'all (andy and inchworm) must skim posts fast....

Please read into the deeper context of meaning, guys (and/or girls?!?!)

It's not about size nor material; it's about romanticism, realism, and KNOWING YOUR LOVER!!!!
edit on 14-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

I read the whole darn thread-- I still say all ladies is lookin for a big ring so they can impress all they friends, understand.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

My parents got married at 18, my dad bought my mom a $300 ring, I think on sale. They are still married. Size of the ring matters, if your girlfriend is materialistic enough for it to matter to her... Time for a frank discussion about personal beliefs and values and the future, I would say.

edit on 14-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

RUN, run as fast as you can.
If she is so shallow that she is basing your love for her on an artificially price inflated piece of carbon the future doesn't look good.

I'm stunned that she would even mention the size of the diamond other than to say "I love you so much".

I concur completely - and I'm a woman.

My husband presented me with a beautiful hand crafted silver ring he picked up from a street vendor for $12.

I'm still wearing it, and wouldn't DREAM of upgrading to anything else.

Everything about her response just seems off to me - I know this sounds harsh, but a ring, in and of itself is a symbolic gesture of eternal union - and if she's already looking at it as if "how much she can get out of you", I shudder for the future you may have together.

I know that's harsh - but please, don't let yourself become a divorce statistic!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join