It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Lowers Amount of Acetaminophen Allowed in Prescription Painkillers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Small world! My oldest daughter has a form of autism and her cocktail of natural junk we give her includes that! She's a high functioner with a high IQ.. I swear to you the combo with this stuff allowed her processing issues to be better controlled. SHe has the intelligence and then some.. but couldnt access it or apply it when she was younger. A few yrs ago we hooked up with a naturopath since I didnt want her on Concerta for the rest of her life and it was a miracle.

Encephalitis is horrible.. you sound like youve been through the wringer
One of my aunts went through encephalitis and wound up "slow".. this was years ago and it simply wasnt treated as aggressively and we didnt have the research. The doctors convinced her parents that she should be sterilized in case she decided to get a boyfriend, had a baby, and couldnt take care of it. People dont realize eugenics was alive and well in the 60's.

Thank God we have moved a little bit out of the dark ages medically speaking!

This is why I love ATS.. such a great exchange of information. Several of us here have people close to us with things on the autism spectrum.. and medical issues. We're so isolated because we only have our physicians to tell us whats best.. I figure we do well in sharing things like this so others have a few more guns in the arsenal when dealing with the medical community.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

oh how interesting! well there's a chance it may help you as well. you can get pill form and not have to take it intravenously. i take one 1000 mcg a day, currently (i rarely get the same brand name when a bottle runs out so the dosage varies), but they say the best is 5000 mcg every third day. something to do with the uptake of methylcobalamin and how the body uses it, concentration levels and so on. i just let the tablet dissolve in my mouth, over time, like a cough drop.

the reason i mention this is, i've got a theory that we currently have an epidemic of mycoplasmic infections in the usa, which is surfacing as anything from LYMES disease to gulf war syndrome, and those have offshoots like chronic fatigue, major organ malfunctions, neurologia of various kinds, depressions and so on, possibly all related to the mycoplasms.

this is based on the description of mycoplasmic infections, in which the mycoplasm, that has no cell wall, infiltrates the cells of the nerves of the body and reprograms them to malfunction (i'm not sure if they simply cease creating the appropriate proteins or amino acids or what). the infected nerve self destructs in this fashion. this seems to have the accumulative effect of causing organs which require nerve response for the continued creation of hormones, enzymes and so forth, to break down, and in turn, causes the various organs to function incorrectly or ineffectively.

so the idea is to replace the dead or dying nerves, with new nerves provided by the increased methylcobalamin. it's possible the mycoplasmic infection also slows or stops the creation of the enzyme necessary for the creation of methylcobalamin, which would explain alot of the symptoms of gulf war syndrome patients and for certain explains diabetic neuropathy and autsim (as far as lacking the enyzme to create methyl b-12 from normal b-12).

edit on 14-1-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I have neurosarcoidosis and due to them putting acetaminophen in Vicodin i have to take ibuprofen when i don't want to take vicodin first. (doctors never give people enough Vicodin in most cases for severe pain)

I take 800 mg ibuprofen and if that does not work i can still take Vicodin for breakthrough pain

The VA doctors are always telling me to use acetaminophen but if i take it and it does not work i am stuck in pain till the acetaminophen wears off and i can take a Vicodin.

This is the problem as there are a number of people that likely take acetaminophen and have Vicodin for breakthrough pain. they are likely to take the Vicodin anyway if the pain is bad enough.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
see what you think of this article on the subject of mycoplasmic infections:

Mycoplasma has no cell wall and is the smallest free-living bacteria, being 1/5 to 1/25 the size of other bacteria. It is strictly anaerobic and has a special characteristic of metabolizing glucose. Like the virus, it is very dependent upon its host for survival. It was originally classified as a virus due to its small size and as a pleuro-pneumoniae organism because it was first found to be related to pneumonia.

There are many different species of Mycoplasma. Mycoplasma pneumonia as well as at least 7 other mycoplasma species have been linked as a direct cause or significant co-factor to many chronic diseases. These include Mycoplasma pneumonia, incognitos, penetrans, pirum, genitalium, fermentans, salivarium, hominis and Ureaplasma urealyticum. Scientists have been studying the relationship between Mycoplasma and different diseases for several decades. A list of such conditions includes cancer, auto-immune diseases (arthritis, lupus, scleroderma, multiple sclerosis) ALS, chronic fatigue syndrome and candidiasis. Mycoplasma are found to infect females 4 times more often than males, which just happens to be similar to the incidence rate in rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and other related disorders.

Due to the small size and the lack of a cell wall, this microorganism is capable of infecting a great number of cells in any part of the body and live as a parasite on the surface of the cells. Mycoplasmas can become a parasite in plants, insects, animals, and humans, and can trigger different diseases. Once the Mycoplasma becomes a parasite in the cell, morphologic and physiologic changes are developed and it takes on the appearance of various diseases such as pneumonia, urethritis, pyelonephritis, as well as arthritis, lupus and other immune diseases. In cancer, the tumor cells infected by Mycoplasma are more susceptible to spreading which contributes to metastases in different parts of the body. This is also true with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (especially when the symptoms are severe), Multiple Sclerosis, and ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis).

A list of conditions which may be caused or influenced by Mycoplasma or for which Mycoplasma becomes an opportunistic infection include:
* AIDS/HIV * ALS * arthritis * asthma * bronchitis * Cancer * chronic fatigue syndrome * chronic nongonococcal urethritis * chronic pelvic inflammatory disease * Crohn's * diabetes * endocrine disorders * eye and ear disorders and infections * Fibromyalgia * gingivitis and periodontal disease * heart disease * infertility * irritable bowel syndrome * leukemia * lupus * multiple sclerosis * pneumonia * psoriasis * scleroderma * TMJ disorders * urinary tract infections

www.digitalnaturopath.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
Have you tried Zipsor?? Its an NSAID ( I hate em), but it really works. I recently had an issue that prevented me from getting out of bed for several weeks.. and thats something I can not really do. I was given vicodin... 90 a month and they were 10's.. but didnt help and I dont like to be constipated up to my eyebrows if I can help it
They put me on Neurontin and Zipsor for a severe nerve and musco-skeletal issue.. voila. I was on it, did the physical therapy with NO problems and Im weaning off now. There was absolutely no way for me to heal myself without it and no way I could ever have done the physical therapy to aid in healing myself at all.

The best help would be how to approach a doctor that flat out tells you that there is no treatment, diagnoses you with fibromyalgia instead, and says that surgery is too costly with statistically small chance of benefit. I have a torn rotator cuff, severely damaged labrum, type 3 acromion, and general instability in the shoulder. I have grade 2 spondylolithesis, and darkened/compressed disks. I have Traumatic Brain Injury which gives me severe headaches starting near the temples but moving back to the rear of my head which is incredibly debilitating. It's made worse by wearing any kind of headgear, even a loose hooded sweater. I also have an inflammed liver to boot, and they're saying they aren't sure why. Finally, as far as the major issues go, I have sleep apnea, and I'm always tired and cranky from it. Couple that with only being able to sleep on my right side due to shoulder and back, and it's just a recipe for a miserable existence.

I've been to physical therapy for five three week bouts with the shoulder, and one three week bout for the back. The VA only sends you once for the back. They haven't touched TBI or sleep apnea yet with treatment, but judging from their previous bouts, I'm not getting my hopes up.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Sad to hear your story, but knowing human nature as I am one of them, people will just take more pills to get the "fix" they need.

In my case I rely in homeopathy approach for my bodily pain relief.

edit on 14-1-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I have been taking nortriptyline for my back pain/ nerve pain. ( 3 slip disks and a cyst in my spine) it helps alot and takes the edge off. plus its a non narcotic. I only take vicodin for Breakthrough pain now. Im glad there going to us a lower Acetaminophen count. my doc was watching my live lately because of my ALT came out to 93. Its only sopose to be like 30

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The FDA forced Purdue Pharma to reformulate Oxycontin because supposedly "4 million americans were illegally obtaining it and chopping it up and snorting it".

Instead of dealing with how 4 million people illegally obtained controlled substances....they FORCED Purdue Pharma to reformulate Oxycontin. The new formulation hit America in the 4th Quarter of 2010. The new pills have their medicine covered in a wax material so if someone chops it up and snorts it, no effect.

Problem is....all the people with cancer and back/spine injuries who were taking it noticed....our bodies can no longer absorb the narcotics.

The FDA is never acting in our interest. Be careful with Tramadol. Toxicity causes "imminent doom syndrome". You will feel like every millisecond is your last second on Earth, hyper sensitivity.

The FDA MANDATED high levels of acetaminophen in drugs to prevent abuse. They considered the risk of destroying your livers and didn't care if they did destroy your liver.

Cyclobenzaprine/Flexiril was only approved by the FDA for a maximum of 2 weeks use on humans. Why? Read their FDA Drugfacts approval letter. Any use longer than 2 weeks KILLED ALL THE RATS. Liver toxicity.

I wrote the FDA and asked WHY they let doctors prescribe Flexiril for YEARS to patients, knowing it will destroy peoples livers....their response?

Doctors can prescribe what they want, to WHO they want. Even if they know it will kill them.

How's THAT for the "Best healthcare in the world"??????

new topics

<< 1   >>

join