It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN says Lucid Dreaming can be dangerous...?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy

Originally posted by ldyserenity

You do not know if you are dreaming.

The whole precept of lucid dreaming IS KNOWING WHEN YOU ARE DREAMING!!!! SHEESH!

I agree with you... I think people are confusing the difference between normal dreaming and lucid dreaming.

Normal dreaming is when you can't tell the difference between reality and dreaming, and things are just happening uncontrollably.

Lucid dreaming is when you know you are dreaming, and because of that, you can control your dreams with your mind. You can't even begin to lucid dream unless you know you are dreaming. One way to know you are dreaming is to notice something in your dream that is not possible in reality.

So, I can't even begin to see why anyone would think lucid dreaming is dangerous... If anything, lucid dreaming is therapeutic.

haha. Your post reminded me of dream I had recently and made me laugh. Six opossums were chasing me and one started talking. Both the opossums and the talking helped me realize I was dreaming.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Nothing bad here. They even tell you how to lucid dream.

CNN: Can you control your dreams?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Sometimes I think we all need perspective...when we are dreaming it is nice sometimes to know we are dreaming. If we have a nightmare, we can acknowledge it and wake up.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to wake up from the nightmare that is CNN.

There's hundreds of thousands of people without homes and mass flooding in the southern hemisphere. Pakistan has went so crazy with the blasphemy laws that they have guards shooting governors and the whole nation has shifted to fundy right...

And they are running a story about astrology on their homepage as one of the leading stories, in the most prominent position.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
Sometimes I think we all need perspective...when we are dreaming it is nice sometimes to know we are dreaming. If we have a nightmare, we can acknowledge it and wake up.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to wake up from the nightmare that is CNN.

There's hundreds of thousands of people without homes and mass flooding in the southern hemisphere. Pakistan has went so crazy with the blasphemy laws that they have guards shooting governors and the whole nation has shifted to fundy right...

And they are running a story about astrology on their homepage as one of the leading stories, in the most prominent position.

Because more people care about their sign than what's going on in the world. It really sucks to put it bluntly.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
When you are lucid dreaming, you are aware that you are dreaming, otherwise they wouldn't call it "lucid".
When you are dreaming and not aware you are dreaming and walking around, that's called 'sleepwalking'... two completely seperate things.

secondly, I like my dreamworld, I love it!
but that doesn't make me a psychopath

I wonder where cnn gets its info...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

hadn't seen that article before my previous reply

from the article:
"he talks about conscious dreaming and reflects a blurring between waking life and reality -- "Jared Loughner is conscience (sic) dreaming at this moment / Thus, Jared Loughner is asleep," he writes.
Loughner likely was referring to lucid dreaming, experts said"

and there are the 'experts' again, lol

when I interprete the above writing from Jared, IMO he is talking about the illusion of reality, not about lucid dreaming... In Jareds mind, we are all conscious dreamers in an illusional environment.... but that's just my interpretation.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Shoomoo

This is a tough one.. Lucid dreamers versus cars?? I thinkcars kill more people than Lucid dreams.. We should ban them except mine. CNN should stick to the hard news and quit speculation.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Shoomoo

Everyone lives in there own world.

Most people looking for truths are safer than the so called ordinary people. The media cannot stand that.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

I don't think a dream has ever killed one person.

But, you're right about cars. More people were killed by drunk driving in the US during the Vietnam War than were actually killed in the Vietnam War. Crazy but true.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

well I am 100% sure I am awake when I am awake... but only about 50% sure when I am asleep..... but I don't sleep walk during lucid dreams if I did I could see how it would be dangerous!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

true but I have formed a problem when I wake up...that I dream i wake up and I am still sleeping.... it is always at the end of my dream.... oddly I have dreamt I am awake then I realize I am still asleep...I tell myself to wake up...think I am again only to still be asleep! I find it VERY hard to come out of my dreams

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
reply to post by Shoomoo

So CNN is claiming that lucid dreaming is actually not some pseudo scientific BS. oooooooo beware of dreams they may come true. And now isn't that what being a schizophrenic is not being able to distinguish what's the real world and what is the world that you created in your head? so they are linking lucid dreaming to schizophrenia in a roundabout way. Interesting don't you think?

Watch out, pretty soon they will start taxing our dreams. What? you don't have
a license to dream? Off to the pokey for you.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
The point is, that when you first start the “lucid dreaming” stuff, you know that dream world is a figment of your imagination that only exist inside your head.
But…… If you stay in that dream world long enough then that dividing line can be blurred. Your little imaginary friends can slowly whittle away at your belief that they are just figments of your imagination. When you become emotionally attached to them, then you can start doubting yourself, as to which world is real and which isn’t. After a few hits of your preferred drug, and some messed up memories, then the world inside your head is the real world, and this world is just one of your nightmares

It doesn’t happen all at once, it takes a long progression to reach the flipping point. I have heard about other people that have had their dream world become their walking reality, so JL isn’t the first that has had that happen to them.

What on earth is this? What you depict as dreaming and imaginary is but a theory! What you depict as reality is but a theory as well! I think you need to look below the matrix more yourself and explore the nature of reality, which wasn't Jared's problem. The chance of him not being an angent, sleeper or what have you is next to nill.

Some of the matrix things you need to look at is the nature of reality? Is there anything solid in our world? Is this a Hologram? One could perceive of reality in this Quantum Holographic School as a dvd player with infinite channels. Dreamtime can be many things, some of it is replaying computer programs in your head, some of it can be changing channels.

Lucid means more mental awareness, as you're awake in the dream.

edit on 13-2-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Shoomoo

I saw that! I don't totally disagree with it. I have been lucid dreaming for 47+ years and I was in a goood lucid dream during a real life earth quake and refused to wake up out of it...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
My first response was whoa they're suggesting lucid dreaming was a contributing factor to Loughner's mental state? Try all the stuff he was reading and no one around to hold him back or help him interpret what he was feeding his mind. That guy had a lot of anger in him and everything he read was fuel for that fire which grew until it had consumed him and he did what he did.

My second response is that there is indeed some danger in lucid dreaming, as these experiences can be very powerful and can be difficult to understand especially without the aid of advanced lucid dreamers, which seem to be in shortage with no prospect of something that will change that so there's a bunch of people doing something potentially dangerous left unchecked, just like the people claiming they are astral travelling/projecting. There's just no control in place for these people, no organised religion or anything that could keep people in check compared to the established religions, which can take care of those religious folks who have visions. The danger is having dreams that would isolate individuals from others, causing suffering but dreams in itself don't kill.

So I can see why some people look to the oddities of Loughners life, this person lived just like I did, so can I go nuts like that too? Oh wait no, I don't do lucid dreaming, that must have been the cause! But it isn't, there have been so many people lucid dreaming throughout the centuries and they didn't go nuts. In fact, there was this guy once who dreamed he was riding a beam of light and made the scientific world happy with that.

More: www.luciddreamlessons.com...

It isn't the dream, it's the dreamer. Someone insane will be even more insane while dreaming, someone sane will just have sane dreams.
edit on 13/2/2011 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Well CNN have just given a massive advert for Lucid dreaming. all those people out there who'd never heard of it will be googling it and doing it themselves. The media is a strange beast

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

Loads of people have alot of anger in them, and most people in society are insane. These are not the two reasons that made him do it. Loads of people are like that and they do nothing.

Media tells people all the time, oh no a man alone is dangerous, how is this, and why? Males have always been able to be alone. There is always going to be a minority who cannot control themselves. How many sex mad jock type males commit violent crimes, loads i would say.

Amazing the stereotype of the male who is a loner. Loads of males are loners, and loads of people are angry, thats life.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

I notice that when I am seeing into the other world, the experience is so shocking that my mind instantly "patches up the holes"...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well if I can levitate, have massive super powers and am able to create and destroy whole star systems and all life on this planet with a mere thought, I may confuse reality with lucid dreaming. In one lucid dream I got stuck so I created this universe and made myself human because I was really bored. I experimented a few times and decided I would let this Earth decide it's own fate because I screwed things up too much. It's not any fun if everyone does whatever you want them to and you already know the outcome to everything in every reality. Someone saying lucid dreaming is dangerous is a fool in my opinion. If I could alter reality via my lucid dreaming, then how do you know that in reality, I created this universe and that all of you are creations in my lucid dream?

If I start flying around in my dreams with super powers, I sometimes will pick up on the fact that I am dreaming. Sometimes I don't until something threatens me. I do not believe I will confuse reality with dreaming since I have yet to fly around with super powers in reality. Therefore if I create and destroy the Earth and everyone on it several times or go on some other fantasy campaign in a lucid dream, then I do not believe that will harm anyone here. If someone believes lucid dreaming affects reality, they better run and hide because they may be living in someone else's lucid dream.

I suppose there is a possibility someone mistakenly stated lucid dreaming was dangerous for those who have trouble telling reality apart from fantasy. I would say such a person has mental problems. I wouldn't be worried about them sleeping but when they are awake if they are mentally ill.

Maybe I should add a disclaimer. I knew I was dreaming when I intervened in an alien war between two species in deep space in several star systems. I was a bit ticked off one species actually attacked me so I went back in time and wiped out the species out of existence. It was all a dream but instead of having the one species celebrating me since I blew up all of the alien fleet in all star systems before I time traveled, they were not even aware of me after I changed time. I knew it was all a dream though. It was like I learned that altering time can be less satisfying sometimes. Instead of two war like species in conflict, the surviving species was much more gentle never having undergone all the conflicts. Maybe the dream was trying to tell me something else but I don't understand dreams that well.

I'll add if someone thinks lucid dreaming by itself is dangerous, I think they lost touch with reality. As already stated lucid dreaming is knowing you are dreaming or having some control over your dream. If people can't fantasize anymore, they stand a better chance to go crazy. I've killed off, or altered all life on this planet several times in my lucid dreams. However I also recreated it several times and decided I like things as they are with all the mess. Now if someone is fantasizing about killing others in cold blood and enjoying every moment, they had best not confuse reality with fantasy.

I was lucid dreaming before I knew what lucid dreaming was. It's not something everyone can do immediately just because they decide they want to. At least that is my opinion.
edit on 13-2-2011 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Not really a surpise considering how much stuff in general is condemned and warned about from the media. Anything that would like promote a lot of free thinking and exploration is no doubt going to have someone warning about the horrible horrible things that could result.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join