It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brokaw: "I Would Be Nervous Going Into A Bar" In Arizona

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Brokaw: "I Would Be Nervous Going Into A Bar" In Arizona

www.realclearpolitics.com

Gun control is too simple a phrase to define all the complications and nuances of it, frankly. In Arizona they have a wide open system. I would be nervous about going into a bar or restaurant in Arizona on a Saturday night where people can carry concealed without permits," Tom Brokaw said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." (via Noel at Newsbusters)

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.drudgereport.com

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Another Talking Head That Knows Nothing Of The Laws In Arizona.
Here is our Law on carrying handguns in bars and other establishments.

4-229. Licenses; handguns; posting of notice

A. A person with a permit issued pursuant to section 13-3112 may carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises. The sign shall conform to the following requirements:

1. Be posted in a conspicuous location accessible to the general public and immediately adjacent to the liquor license posted on the licensed premises.

2. Contain a pictogram that shows a firearm within a red circle and a diagonal red line across the firearm.

3. Contain the words, "no firearms allowed pursuant to A.R.S. section 4-229".

B. A person shall not carry a firearm on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer if the licensee has posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section.

C. It is an affirmative defense to a violation of subsection B of this section if:

1. The person was not informed of the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section before the violation.

2. Any one or more of the following apply:

(a) At the time of the violation the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section had fallen down.

(b) At the time of the violation the person was not a resident of this state.

(c) The licensee had posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section not more than thirty days before the violation.

D. The department of liquor licenses and control shall prepare the signs required by this section and make them available at no cost to licensees.

E. The signs required by this section shall be composed of block, capital letters printed in black on white laminated paper at a minimum weight of one hundred ten pound index. The lettering and pictogram shall consume a space at least six inches by nine inches. The letters comprising the words "no firearms allowed" shall be at least three-fourths of a vertical inch and all other letters shall be at least one-half of a vertical inch.

F. This section does not prohibit a person who possesses a handgun from entering the licensed premises for a limited time for the specific purpose of either:

1. Seeking emergency aid.

2. Determining whether a sign has been posted pursuant to subsection A of this section.
Tom Brokaw, it must be Sad to be so Stupid and With Out A Clue About Which You Talk!
I'm sure all your Liberal friends shook your hand and told you how smart and just fantastic you must be for speaking out against the Lawless State of Arizona.

Brokaw, You make me sick!

www.realclearpolitics.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Brokaw would be nervous going into ANY bar that is not called the "Nineteenth Hole".
Of course he doesn't know the law, he lives a sheltered life. He has no hair on his butt.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stewie
Brokaw would be nervous going into ANY bar that is not called the "Nineteenth Hole".
Of course he doesn't know the law, he lives a sheltered life. He has no hair on his butt.

They know our laws. They know our American spirit.

They just want to squash it. They want new laws that allow pure fascism to reign.

They can't stand America. They would rather this be Nazi Germany or the USSR.

That's not an overstatement. They actually want checkpoints on the highways. They actually want due process and citizens rights revoked. They want more prisons and taxation.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what is going on here.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stewie

I was gonna say that Brokaw would only be comfortable going into bars with names like "The Manhole" or "Swinging Richards".

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Yeah, well, Brokaw wears his shorts backwards.

Saves time.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Sigh - ya know what Tom. Here's a fact for you. Arizona (as of the 09 census) has a population of a little over 6.5 million people. So, I'd wager its a safe bet that millions of people go to a bar or restaurant in Arizona every day without any problem what so ever.

But fear mongering makes for way better TV.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
Sigh - ya know what Tom. Here's a fact for you. Arizona (as of the 09 census) has a population of a little over 6.5 million people. So, I'd wager its a safe bet that millions of people go to a bar or restaurant in Arizona every day without any problem what so ever.

But fear mongering makes for way better TV.

Frogs, A truer statement as not been made today

My husband carries canceled every place we go, Yes, he's a retired Fed. LEO. I know for a fact our banks knows he carries and so does the Chinese market we shop at, he was stopped once 5 years ago at Wal-Mart, but that didn't last long, he still carried and still does.
Brokaw is a worried about his man-hood, he just fails to understand, his man-hood has been in question by most Americans for a number of years. He needs to move to Palm Springs California and be with all his friends

edit on 13-1-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-1-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

2nd amendment, thank you!

and i bet the crime rate in pheonix is lower than most cities.

3rd line

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

They just want to squash it. They want new laws that allow pure fascism to reign.

That's not an overstatement. They actually want checkpoints on the highways. They actually want due process and citizens rights revoked. They want more prisons and taxation.

I agree with you that there are people like this, and they frighten the living daylights out of me.

Even so...not to split hairs, but I doubt Brokaw would fall into the truly malevolent category. He's just "relatively clueless due to a sheltered, pampered bicostal existence." I'm guessing he just kind of basks in a certain millieu where such thoughts are unconsciously accepted as part of the background noise...you know the drill: "educated nice people don't want dirty, dangerous guns or the scruffy scary people "out there" packing heat somewhere." Pathetic indeed, but perhaps not as consciously evil as the scenario you describe.

edit on 1/13/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Hey Muzzleflash! How ya doin'!
You know, I agree with you to a point. But consider this for a moment.
Our country is WIDE OPEN. It is not totally lawless, yet, but to be Nazi means that we have a group (Nazi, or whatever else) that is in control.
NO GROUP IS IN CONTROL.
The media, Brokaw and his panty wearing group, are losing control. It was nice while it lasted, and they will miss it, but it is GONE. I really don't think they know it yet. They are desperately trying to connect.
It is way too late. We Americans are splintered so badly, led so badly by false leaders that we are in absolute chaos.
Chaos "rules" apply.
You can take that to the bank Muzzleflash!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Lots and lots of truth here in these words. Some may say it's too much truth.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

I imagine the little elitist is safe because he would not be in a neighborhood bar rubbing elbows with the local riff raff anywhere in the world. Poor Arizona. The stereotyping limo liberals have latched onto them now.

First they had the nerve to want to enforce immigration laws and complain about the drug cartels coming over the border. Then they had a crazy man with a gun shoot someone, and in the minds of limo-liberals Palin made him do it. Then we had the less than dignified rah rah "memorial" service at AU. Arizona is giving the South a break this month as the snobs' punching bag. Thanks Arizona. When they all you white trash and red necks, wear it as a badge of honor because that means you aren't like the snobs are and that is a good thing.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I don't think that it's the guns themselves that Brokaw should really worry about, it's the nutjobs carrying the guns that might be the problem.

Guns are fine in the hands of the responsible and sane, it's the insane and irresponsible that you have to watch out for.

See, the problem with even mentioning gun control is there is a large group of people who go absolutely rabid if anyone even mentions the words. No one can have a serious actual debate on the issue because they will be verbally pummeled by these people.

I don't think that guns should be outlawed, or banned, I just think that maybe, just maybe, criminals, and the insane shouldn't have guns. I know it's a absurd idea.
edit on 1/13/2011 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Every time I walk into a restaurant or bar the first thing that crosses my mind is how afraid I am of chairs, they can be used for violence and should be banned. Don't be fooled, chairs are dangerous, don't let yourself be a victim of these or any other inanimate objects. Please beg for the government to take them away.

This is what chairs can do to you if you aren't careful:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
tommy is canadian isn't he?

well, that explains it.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I don't think that guns should be outlawed, or banned, I just think that maybe, just maybe, criminals, and the insane shouldn't have guns. I know it's a absurd idea.
edit on 1/13/2011 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

Federal laws allready address that. If you are a convicted felon, and your record hasn't been cleared, no gun for you. If you have been convicted of domestic abuse, no gun for you. If you have been adjudicated mentally defective, no gun for you. In NC you can be denied a permit if you were arrested for a misdemeanor punishable by two years in prison. I don't mean convicted, just arrested.

In state after state the stats show that a licensed CCH/CCW permit holder is about eight times less likely to be arrested than the geneal population.

ETA:
Here are the steps to getting a concealed carry permit in NC.

1. Take a course that must be eight hours long and includes no less than two hours watching a state prepared video on the use of force. here is also a set amount of timethat must be dedicated to the safe handling of firearms. The course also includes a book that covers th laws, safe handling, and proper shooting techniques. The courses start at $75 and go up to nearly $200.

1a. You must shoot a prescribed number of shots at 3, 5, and 7 yards to demonstrate that you can accurately shoot a handgun. Your target is signed by you and kept by th instructor or institute of instruction for verification.

2. You fill out an extensive permit aplication, get it notarized in multiple places, and turn it in to the local sheriff's office. You then pay them $80 for a back ground check and $10 to finger print you.

3. The sheriff's office does a check of your mental and physical health records. (You have to pay a seperate fee for these.) They also check your criminal back ground at the county, state, and federal level. If you mentioned living outside of that sheriff's jurisdiction in the last ten years they may check those towns, counties, and or states.

4. If you pass the check, the sheriff's office sends their findings and recomendation to a state agency. If the state agency feels that everything was done correctly they send the permit to the sheriff's office. Then you must come down and retrieve permit.

It tends to weed out those that are less than comitted.

In the county where I live you need three character references by residents of the county, that are not related to you, just to get a pistol puchase permit. Even then you go through a criminal history check and are run against a state list of people that have been ajudicated mental defective.
edit on 13-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Well, that's not what the gun lobby wants, the gun lobby wants to act like Oprah on one of her shows.

"You get a gun! You get a gun! EVERYBODY GETS A GUN!"

The gun lobby in this country has cowed any real debate on this subject. And if you even mention the dirty words "Gun Control" holy hell do they flip out making crackheads look calm and reasonable by comparison.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

That is the lie that people would like you to believe. The NRA - the biggest single gun lobby - actually helped get legislation passed to "modernize" the NICS instant back ground check. They helped to pass the National Firearms Act of 1934 and the Gun Control act of 1968.

The NRA even came out in 2002 and said,

"In the name of safety, any person who carries or is exempted from having a CCW permit should be required to have some form of firearm training."

So, the big bad NRA is far from the merchants of death people claim. They were very proud to stand up and tell people they supported the "gun free zone" laws that many places passed. They were even proud to supprt the McCarthy/Leahy Gun Control Bill of 2007. The so called "NICS Modernization Act" that I mentioned above.

The results of the bill that the NRA helped to pass:
•As many as a quarter to a third of returning Iraq veterans could be prohibited from owning firearms -- based solely on a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder;
•Your ailing grandfather could have his entire gun collection seized, based only on a diagnosis of Alzheimer's (and there goes the family inheritance);
•Your kid could be permanently banned from owning a gun, based on a diagnosis under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.

In 2007 the head of the Brady Campaign had this to say about the NRA.

“They’re taking the right position here, which is that not everybody should get a gun.”

Don't buy the hype that the gun lobby is a pack of blood thirsty conservatives fighting to get guns in to the hands of psychos, criminals, and children. The largest gunn lobby in the world has routinely sided with the anit-gun crowd decade after decade for the last 80 years.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Why are people all over so ignorant of gun laws?

It's like all of this is suddenly new to them.

Nobody cared last week because nobody knew. These paranoids are surrounded by people with guns virtually everywhere they go and they werent "uncomfortable" before. Suddenly they are?

Oh noes guns in bars is bad!! We'll there have been guns in that bar for over a hundred years either legal or otherwise. Why are just freaking out now?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join