It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snowball Earth - An Interesting Documentry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Found this a little while ago when bored. Its part of the 'Catastrophe' series that aired on UK TV.

Thought I would share it with you guys, very interesting points about an Ice Age 650 million years ago.

Hope my friends in the US can view it, if not I will try and find an alternative link.

Anyway, Enjoy

www.seesaw.com...

Interested in your thoughts.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Aww. it says u need to be loaceted in the UK to view the video. I know we can find it on another site. Thnx for trying though

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DamaSan

That's the one, thanks. Just finish watching it again myself and was about to find alternative links but you got it here.

If you guys have time I would certainly recommend you watch the entire series which can be found in Dama's link.
edit on 13-1-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
There's a big research project on Snowball Earth at the moment in the Geologic community, one of the grad students at my school is working on it. I don't really know much, but I do know that she presented at the last national geo convention and she had a really big turnout, which is a good indication that the idea is being seriously evaluated. I'll ask her more about it when I see her, she's hard to catch.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
So I got together with the Grad student, not much more to tell, really. There are two large camps in geology at present: Snowball believers and nonbelievers. There is still debate on whether it was a full on snowball (fully ice-encrusted) or a "slushball", with various stages of freezing, as well as on the idea that the effect might have been partial over time, with ice creeping around the globe, thawing behind.

So if anyone was skeptical about the science, or the geologists working on it, it's legit, and well recognized as a viable geologic theory.
According to her, the general hypothesis has been proven, and her and others are researching more detailed evidence now in hopes of answering more specific questions. Her focus is on identifying sedimentary deposits that would have been altered during the glaciation. She's sampling rocks primarily in the Wasatch Range of Utah.

new topics

top topics

join