It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christ's promise for eternal life.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 09:02 AM
link   
2 Contradictions-

"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

Solution- Accept Jesus as your Savior and you will inherit internal life. It is your only way.

Luke 10
25. On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
26. "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
27. He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind' ; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' "
28. "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

Solution- Love God with your heart and be a good person.

Conclusions-

#1, Jesus Christ is your only way. Accept that he died for you or rot in hell.
#2, True Love for God is your only way.
#3, Both ways are correct. (contradiction)
#4, The first way is correct, because my priest tells me so.
#5, I don't care what Jesus taught in Luke 10. Accepting him dying for my sins is the only way, although I have no clue on why I believe that when he taught both.

Then we have #6, "The bible has been corrupted throughout history."

Keep in mind that not every religion can lead to God, as they contradict each other.

Please discuss.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Sometimes the best arguments have the least number of replies.

I have yet to see the Bible tell me that accepting Christ dying for sins is your only way. "No one comes through to the Father except through me." Does this phrase really mean accepting him dying for your sins is your ONLY way to heaven?

I think not. The phrase explains that the people who communicate with God only through him directly because he had a connection with him. It is written for that time.

"I am the Truth." etc. does not really say anything.

I'm asking someone to please show me a place (or many) in the bible, where it is said that accepting that Jesus Christ died for the sins of humanity, is your one and only way to God.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Romans Chapter 5

8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

[Edited on 19-3-2003 by U.S. Patriot]

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You obviously haven't read my question. What you have posted is what I knew but it does not answer my question.

I'm asking for a place in the bible where Christians claim this:

Accepting Jesus Christ died for the sins of humanity is your ONE AND ONLY way to Paradise.

"One and Only" being the key phrase.

Also please explain my original post, I would love to discuss it.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You should define your personal views of God. For one thing "the Lord" refers to Jesus. For a second, Jesus is considered an extention of God (part of the trinity).

Another problem comes with how much literal truth you draw from the Bible. After 5 major translations, the first not being published for hundreds of years after Christ lived, how accurate do you think it is? Just because someone told you it is literal truth does not mean that they were lying or stupid.

More problems? You betcha. There are many words in other languages that have no direct translation into English. Jesus spoke in Aramaic (sp?). I don't know a single person that reads Aramaic, let alone anyone who has a manuscript of the actual speeches from anywhere near the time he was alive.

#1, Jesus Christ is your only way. Accept that he died for you or rot in hell.
#2, True Love for God is your only way.
#3, Both ways are correct. (contradiction)
#4, The first way is correct, because my priest tells me so.
#5, I don't care what Jesus taught in Luke 10. Accepting him dying for my sins is the only way, although I have no clue on why I believe that when he taught both.

Then we have #6, "The bible has been corrupted throughout history."

Keep in mind that not every religion can lead to God, as they contradict each other.

#1: depends if you believe in hell, depends if you believe the bible, depends how "deep" that explanation goes, and depends how you define Jesus.
#2: yes, but again, how "deep" does this go?
#3: if you believe in the trinity, this is not contradictory, or if you are part Taoist (like me) you actually believe this is the truth.
#4: did God give your priest a button that says, "I'm always right!" and have you questioned him over these things (w/o allowing him the answer "that's just the way things are.")?
#5: this is the passive point of view... neither bad nor good and takes a back seat to faith and knowledge.
#6: yes it has. Truth, in the end, however, may only have one form. Use the leaky buckets analogy. If I have 10 bad arguments, equal to leaky buckets (a bucket filled with water and has holes), then I put each bucket inside one another, the end result will be that I have a bucket that holds a lot of water, but still leaks a tad. My end result in this searching yields a truer result because this method weeds out parts of bad arguments.

On the last comment, I also disagree. All religions combined will probably lead to God. It is the merely a fact of finding a single religion that has the least number of holes in it. Remember that all information can be deceiving at first glance. In mathematics, infinity raised to the infinity power is zero (using L'Hopital's Rule). You may assume that it is infinity, but mathematical understanding dictates otherwise.

Search for answers and you will find them... whether you like those answers or not.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 04:53 PM
link   
So in other words you can't find it in the bible, lol.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
No, the other words are this: You are wanting to play juvenile word games thinking you are proving a contradiction. You prove only your lack of understanding. I've heard better debates by stoned teenagers.

I don't mean to sound overly short or mean, but these "brilliant" ideas are posted here every week or so as if the teen posting it is the first in the world to misunderstand a verse and triumphantly proclaim it as "The Gospel", pardon the pun.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
No, the other words are this: You are wanting to play juvenile word games thinking you are proving a contradiction. You prove only your lack of understanding.

Weak.

Word games? Not at all. If you showed me a place in the bible where it says accepting Jesus Christ died for the sins of humanity is your only way to Paradise, then I would have something to play words with.

But you have not shown me it.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 08:42 PM
link   
What are you hoping to find? Are you a disbeliever hoping to find truth? Or a disbeliever hoping to change a believers mind? I mean, what is your main goal of this post? If yee are seeking the truth, yee shall find it...meaning that you are reading and quoting the bible and looking for someones opinion or arguement, but only YOU can find the truth..noone can give it to you. You need to remember we all read the bible differently and find our own meanings from it....sometimes I can read the same verse 3 times and come up with a different meaning each time. If God wants you to understand the bible and know the true meaning..He will grant that to you. But if you are reading the bible with intentions of not "believing" then you will never see it for what it is. Do not underestimate the power of God here, for this is His Holy doctrine. Not a mere book to be shredded apart by those who read it and then dispute it

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Jesus did not have, nor need a Bible. I follow His example in not doing so, either. People who use logic don't need word games. If you want hidden, puzzling meaning, look up the Bible Code (probably a lie). If you want hear-say, listen to others. If you want knowledge, go out and find it. I choose knowledge.

Honestly, I'm still stuck on the first paragraph of the Bible. Modern science is starting to have theories very similar to the opening statement... but you probably don't know that... yet.

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Are you referring to what I wrote? Understandable if so..but I was only trying to write this so that MSimpson would understand what I was trying to say. You need to remember how hard it is to get your point across over the net without sounding or seeming a certain way.
But I notice there's no reply, so my point must have been acheived

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 05:23 AM
link   
You seem confused whether you should believe in Christ. It is your decision. You want others to make your mind up for you. YOU Simpson are lost. It comes from within....................

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 05:54 AM
link   
That's exactly what I was trying to say, but got a little long and drawn out on...(lol) as I have a tendency to do at times.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I used to try and and do that, Simpson, but I found that most of the time it was a waeste of time. Quarrelsome people have no desire to learn, they just want to argue. Arguing the Bible with a non-believer accomplishes nothing. It's like wrestling a pig, you both get dirty but the pig enjoys it.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Please excuse me for not understanding who..or what post you are referring to? I seriously read your last post about 4 times and it thouroughly confused me

(course, lol, it doesn't take much)
Your reply is greatly appreciated...

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 02:24 PM
link   
hello everyone.

here is a verse john 3:16 for god so loved the world that he gave his one and only son and whosoever believes in him shall not parish but have everlasting life.
when he says he gave his only son that means he came and died on the cross and when he says whosoever believes in him is saying that you have to believe that he died for you. when you shall not perish that means you shall not perish from believing that he died for your sins and you shall have everlasting life. that is it the only way to heaven. god also talks to a man named nichodemus who asked how to get to heaven and he told him to believe in his son dying. thats the only way okay? the reason that u dont understand this is because you obviously arent saved. people that arent saved dont understand the bible. thats it.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Beautifully said you nut!

Now before people start asking SAVED? Saved means you have accepted Jesus as your personal savior and you believe in John 3:16. That he (Jesus) died for all the sins of the world that if you believe this you shall be saved.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by supernut89
that is it the only way to heaven.

Luke 10
25. On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
26. "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
27. He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind' ; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' "
28. "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

Obviously not. You have yet to show me where it says "Only way to Heaven." Look at Luke 10:25-28 for example.

"That he (Jesus) died for all the sins of the world that if you believe this you shall be saved."

Read my starting post again lol. The ONLY WAY is the key word here. It is no where in the bible, and if you read Luke 10:25-28 for example, you will understand.

"It is the only way to heaven." is a statement based on your parents pushing it into your head every single day since you were a baby.

Again please read my starting post and do not post a verse that I have read a thousand times and claim it is the only way without having something to back it up with.

posted on Mar, 20 2003 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by supernut89
thats the only way okay?

Your statement is based on nothing.

Read the bible for yourself and don't listen to your parents. Please read my previous post as well.

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Also try to think of it this way;

If you had no idea about Christianity or any other religion but just believed in God and you came across the bible, read it by yourself.

What would your opinion be on how to enter Paradise or avoid hell? You never heard "jesus is your only way" and you have never heard "father son holy ghost" etc etc.

What would you think? Honestly.

How to enter Paradise and avoid going to hell.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join