It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family charged 'death tax' for baby who lived one hour

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Family charged 'death tax' for baby who lived one hour

www.king5.com

SEATTLE -- Olivia Clark lived for only one hour. Doctors didn't even expect her to survive birth. Now her family has a hard time understanding why the King County Medical Examiner has to review her death and charge $50.

Although her parents were from Yakima, they came to the University of Washington Medical Center for her delivery. As a result, Olivia died in King county. Her family soon learned the impact that would have when they received the funeral bill.

"There was a little line on there near the bottom of the bill that said 'King county death tax: $50.' And we looked at that, a
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.king5.com
www.drudgereport.com

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Death Tax Of $50. You are mailed a bill after you've morned and buried your Loved One, now is that not Heartless?
I would like to know, exactly, To What and Where is that money going? Is there some Welfare program that needs funding from charging the morning families of the dead?

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid. The baby lived an hour, an Hour Longer Than The Doctors Thought She Would.
This was not a mysterious death or a murder, this was a families little newborn, Now they have this absurd bill to pay!

That is another State I would never move to.

www.king5.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Wait did they request an autopsy? Because as poorly worded as that fee is, that might be what it refers to.

King County now requires a review of every death.

I read that and I thought it might be some kind of investigation fee.

edit on 13-1-2011 by antonia because: clarification

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Funny.
I would have just replied with Olivia's forwarding address.
Heartless SOBS.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by guohua

Wait did they request an autopsy? Because as poorly worded as that fee is, that might be what it refers to.

King County now requires a review of every death.

I read that and I thought it might be some kind of investigation fee.

edit on 13-1-2011 by antonia because: clarification

No according to the article, the family was very surprised when they received their bill and had the Death Tax as an Added Expense.
From The Article: King County now requires a review of every death. The medical examiner instituted the $50 fee for cremations three years ago. This year, it included the fee for burials as well.

"The reason we do that is to make sure no one goes to the crematorium or to their grave without society and the family knowing exactly how their loved one died," says Gareth Johnson, King County Prevention Division Manager.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

An autopsy is thousands of dollars, $50 was just a tax/fee to collect for record keeping.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

So they require a review of every death therefore giving them the privilege of charging a death tax. Heartless if you ask me - can't they find a better way to make their $50 instead of impending this on grieving families.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
That is stupid that they would charge them that, but compared to medical bills and funeral processions, 50 bucks is really not going to put a dent in their wallet. But it's the principle of the thing, not the actual monetary value that matters

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

I don't agree with it, but i was just wondering. The article could be a bit more detailed.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This is your liberal / "progressive" Seattle government at work.

It reminds me a lot of Saddam Hussein billing the family of the people he had executed for the bullets it took to kill them.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I have to think about what county I am in if I ever go to California.
I got a parking ticket for parking in a community parking lot for
parking with the front of the car facing out, instead of in.
(no signs saying not to, and never heard of such a law)
I never went back there so I may have a warrant
edit on 13-1-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
I have to think about what county I am in if I ever go to California.
I got a parking ticket for parking in a community parking lot for
parking with the front of the car facing out, instead of in.
(no signs saying not to, and never heard of such a law)
I never went back there so I may have a warrant
edit on 13-1-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

You do know of-course some California Liberal just read your post and believes it is your fault some Illegal is going hungry tonight because you, Did not pay your ticket.
YES, It's your fault the state of California is Bankrupt!

By the way, this story is out of the other Progressive Liberal State of Washington. I'm sure they have people on welfare that needs these monies very badly.

edit on 13-1-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
All deaths in King county Washington now require the payment of the $50 death tax. It is supposed to help pay for those deaths that require a review for possible wrongful death

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rlrsar
All deaths in King county Washington now require the payment of the $50 death tax. It is supposed to help pay for those deaths that require a review for possible wrongful death

rlrsar, So what about those death that are clearly not Possible Wrongful? Is appears to be part of the Natural Liberal Mind Set to have other people pay for some thing that does not apply to them.
If you have a Possible Wrongful Death, then charge the party or parties involved.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Only in America.

Use the receipt to claim it as a dependent for income tax time.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
It's pretty tactless and unfortunate, but really 50.00 isn't all that much and perhaps health insurance would cover that? LOL- not. It's sickening to be sure and heartless. We all pay for ridiculous taxes don't we?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Wow...
And the hits keep coming for the family.

edit on 13-1-2011 by thegoodearth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Um - it's generally the Fascists who want to do everything "by the book" as well as create lots of paperwork.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whiffer Nippets
reply to post by MMPI2

Um - it's generally the Fascists who want to do everything "by the book" as well as create lots of paperwork.

Yeah. Exactly like the bureaucrats in Seattle that sent a bill to the family for the death of their child.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Wow, did he really do that? That sounds like a joke it's so messed up. Talk about adding insult to injury
That scrub deserved to be hanged. But this 'death tax' is not nearly as severe as that. Maybe if the doctors gave her an abortion against her will and billed her for that, then I'd see a correlation between the two events
edit on 13-1-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join