It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Sustains Patriot Act By One Vote

page: 1

join
share:
df1

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It is outrageous that congress has done nothing to inspect incoming sea and air cargo and nothing to improve the defense of nuclear sites, but it wants to crack on citizens by allowing the FBI to investigate what americans are reading. What a bunch of criminal low lifes.

www.truthout.org
Washington - An effort to bar the government from demanding records from libraries and booksellers in some terrorism investigations fell one vote short of passage in the House on Thursday after a late burst of lobbying prompted nine Republicans to switch their votes.

The vote, a 210 to 210 deadlock, amounted to a referendum on the antiterrorism law known as the USA Patriot Act and reflected deep divisions in Congress over whether the law undercuts civil liberties. Under House rules, the tie vote meant the measure was defeated.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This is a sad day, when will this madness end?

The outcome led to angry recriminations from House Democrats, who accused Republicans of "vote-rigging" by holding the vote open for an extra 23 minutes to get enough colleagues to switch votes. Frustrated Democrats shouted "Shame, shame!" and "Democracy!" as the voting continued, but Republicans defended their right as the majority party to keep the vote open to "educate members" about the dangers of scaling back government counterterrorism powers.

They still think this is about democrats and republicans..

"The timing was well within the rules of the House floor," said Burson Taylor, a spokeswoman for Representative Roy Blunt, the majority whip. "Sometimes that plays to our advantage, sometimes it plays to the Democrats' advantage."

When will these people understand? This is something that effects everyone and should not be decided on the basis of democrats and republicans.

I think this is the greatest reason this should not be allowed:

"People are waking up to the fact that the government can walk into their libraries, without probable cause, without any particular information that someone was associated with terrorism, and monitor their reading habits," Representative Bernie Sanders, the Vermont independent who sponsored the measure, said in an interview.

I thought republicans were for a less-strong Fed Gov. I guess I was wrong, they are just so paranoid...

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Does anyone know one of the MAJOR reason we went to war with Iraq? Look above. What a better diversionary tactic than to throw the country into a bloody war and at the same time take away the rights of the citizens at a time their thoughts are elsewhere. The Patriot Act...brought to you by the Iraq War.

new topics

join