It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS Membership Registration be closed temporarily?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by StlSteve
I don't believe ATS is a non profit organization. Hits = money

Was there a claim that ATS is not-for-profit? As far as I understood, ATS is part of the above top network, a business. In any case, IMO, there is nothing wrong with making a profit from doing something you work hard at and care about.

and ATS does not charge a membership fee. seems to be a win-win situation.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

yes...

YES...

Its enough...

It was a good post!

Anyway, i do not think that registration should be curtailed even temporarily. The trolls are always here, and just amusing themselves a little more right now. in fact the ne cut and paste response i've seen a number of times today is someting I've seen many times in the past. ATS will obviously always have disgruntled former members, i think we all know of at least a few (whats up with that site too huh?)

Get a chuckle or two while they are here, pat them on the back and hope that the door does hit, very hard, on the way out.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
My only thoughts on the situation are that if these new members were steered here by the MSM and the MSM is using content from ATS we may find ourselves stuck in a feedback loop for a while.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bordon81

In the end, it's good for ATS, more publicity, more hits, more money. Maybe they'll be able to afford a spull checker. I mean, spell checker

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Wow check out all these responses by "new members" Almost all joined 2010 glad they are here to set us straight.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bourbon2nite

I am forced to point out here in response, and no disrespect intended, that just because a registration date falls in 2010, does not make the member new to ATS. I have been reading on ATS for about 5 years now, before I ever signed up as a contributing member. I am sure this is the case for many people.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon2nite
Wow check out all these responses by "new members" Almost all joined 2010 glad they are here to set us straight.

You should be very glad we are here to set you straight. As of your posting 21 different members have responded to the post. 10 of these members joined in 2010. Myself included. That sir, is 47% of responses being made by "new members". 47% does not by any stretch of the imagination equal "almost all". So your welcome. Its always good to check facts before making snide remarks.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by bourbon2nite

I think they're worried about members joining in 2011, but thanks for the thought. Wait NO, it's 2008 they're worried about, YIKES

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
This is number erad3 was number two, encyclopedia dramatica has some prett funny stuff on erad3, worth a read.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I joined in 2010 too, but I lurked around for a few years reading and learning how the site operated..

I'm not a troll and I know of a few others who joined around the same time as me who aren't either.

I don't really care for the politics and stuff, I like the fact that ATS is getting media coverage, just not for the right reasons.. I love being in this place though, just a shame I didn't join sooner

Please don't hate us newbies
we're not all antagonists

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I have to concur with regards to the massive influx of new member registrations over the past couple of days and I'll also admit that there has been quite a significant rise in troll or WUM posts and threads.

Maybe closing registration would be a good idea although I'd hate to think that could potentially prevent genuine members from joining the site; although with that in mind anyone serious (and with good intentions) of joining ATS would surely be willing to wait a couple of days until the dust has blown over before joining.

I've said it a few times before and I'd hazard a guess that the majority of members would agree with me; ATS goes through periods of peaks and troughs and at the minute it seems like the board is going through a negative period.

However, it will pick up and eventually balance itself out again, I'd simply suggest that our existing members keep fighting the good fight and do what they always do with intelligent and useful posts.

Watch your manners, keep adding input and alert the mods to anyone trolling attempts.

We will all be fine

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
And this to shall pass.....

Every major news story brings more traffic to the site. Even school holidays and seasonal breaks generate an influx of new members. And so many of the spike people go on to become fantastic contributing members.

The Mods are there to sort the wheat from the chafe, and I think every other member has a responsibility to report those members that abuse a good community. So keep the gates open, we can do the sorting once everyone is getting settled in.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Hell yeah, I just want ATS to be a fun place to get away from daily life to be honest..

I hope we can get together and some how make a change in society, we're all heading in the same direction.. but towards what is the question

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Open Door Policy

Granted, it's been a bit wild lately, and it's probably going to be like this for a while, but I don't think closing registration is the way to go.

We've seen this phenomenon many times before over the years, and though it can be messy and unpleasant at times, it's really nothing to worry about. So far, each time something like this has happened, we've gained a lot of great new members.

In fact, some of our best members have found their way here during these surges of interest, and more than a few people who come here expecting to have some fun with us "wackos" ending up staying and becoming genuine assets to our community when they realize ATS is quite different from what they assumed it would be.

Meanwhile, us mods get a lot of grief and accusations of being biased, inconsistent, unfair, mean, ruthless, dictatorial, fascist, government agents, NWO lackeys, shapeshifters, reptilians, yadda yadda yadda. But when these same people get a taste of the alternative, moderator appreciation grows suddenly and dramatically.

And that's okay.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I don't think closing the doors is a good idea. After all, Deny Ignorance is the motto, and several of the new members have been rather ignorant. So, they've been denied and sent on their way. As others have pointed out, we may well get several good new members from this sudden activity, I think the good out weighs the bad, the trolls will soon be banned or get bored and leave on their own.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Well v1rtu0s0,
I believe that after seeing the majority of people disagree with you, there won't be any closure...

I guess we'll just have to live with some of the trashy posts.
There has been quite a few recently and I wonder where they get their animosity from?
I've never witnessed any hatred from mods or owners to make ex-users so mad...
But then again, I don't pay attention to most arguementative threads.

Looks like I'll be hovering on chat more than ever...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenofjacob
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

He was a member of the online conspiracy theory message board Above Top Secret, though members of the site did not respond warmly to his posts.[24][26][27][28]

That is the quote from wikipedia....I don't think that made ATS look bad at all. In fact the opposite would be true.
That idea sounds very anti-ATS.

Can you link me to that ???

That would be the second mass murderer to post on ATS that I know of.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

en.wikipedia.org...

It's the link the OP used in his original post to show why ATS should be closed.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Make the Freshman Forum not a place where tips and tricks and F.A.Q's are but make it a for real "Freshman Forum" with a few subcategories...or even have threads in this forum policed by the Mods before publishing. Restrict them there for say, a month or so. This way, the newly appointed thread starters can start threads in what seasoned people will know to be the "Freshman Forum"... Still get ad revenue, still get new topics, and new members can feel as if they are contributing...Is this making any sense?

Actually, I like your suggestion, build "creds" to move up to bigger forums. That is not unlike ATS policy in other matters. I kind of wish the freshman newbie drivel of my early posts were restricted to the kindergarten playground. Those times (not long ago) would have been good for me to have some more immediate supervision just to get the hang of things.

I was not new to online forums when I first came here, to the contrary, I was a respected contributor on other sites where I built my veteran status and was being "courted" by other sites to post on their boards. However, that really did not prepare me to be a good contributer here from the very start. I can see my style maturing here and now apply that to other sites I frequent.

I see nothing wrong with earning your way up. Maybe 20 - 30 posts in the freshman area and 5 threads, something like that, before getting to play with the big boys. I appreciate reading many "newbie" posts, some good talent arrived in the past few days. But some could use a little polishing-up before being turned loose.

Still, there is a good lesson to be learned from skinning your knee a couple time in order to learn how to play the games.

Nice suggestion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join