It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do the ATS Staff get stalked?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
More and more, is this kind of idea coming to my attention. With the recent shooting, I am now questioning the craziness of my fellow ATS'rs.

I remember, years back on the board, someone was taking pictures of Simon's house with the address information they received from the WhoIs database.

Have any other incidents such as this happened to any other staff AboveTopSecret.com?

-Baked

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by baked

I've marked a white van down the street for about a week now. Thanks for reminding me.

No events that I can recall, But I just wrote to tell you I like your avatar! Awesome show!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
It might be a good time for anyone who's known to own, administrate, or work for this site, to be very careful.
After reading Skeptic's new thread about civility and manners, well, let's just say there's some anger out there.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I kinda asks this on another thread but it got lost in all the posts.

How does ATS handle requests for info - either civil or criminal? I would assume it had to happen at least once but maybe I'm wrong.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It happens. I had a member try to track me down at work and his promises were less than benevolent. It goes with the territory. Let's just say:

...if he ever gets close.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATSmediaPRO
reply to post by baked

I've marked a white van down the street for about a week now. Thanks for reminding me.

Ah that ... I have one of those too.

edit on 13 Jan 2011 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
People feel more comfortable presenting certain information on ATS than they do elsewhere.

In the sense of what information is contained on ATS, it is freely available. Surveillance and/or stalking is not necessary.

In the case ATS members were to be under surveillance or were to be "stalked", there are a few possibilities that come to mind..

1) The ATS member is either being stalked or is under surveillance for reasons that may or may not have anything to do with ATS.

2) Someone or some organisation is afraid of what information an ATS member MIGHT have.

In theory, of coarse.

-ChriS

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I've gotten some threatening messages off-site due to my position here.

I enjoy interacting with members so I've made myself available on MSN, Skype, etc for folks to message me. Usually it's a positive experience, but once in a while someone will be upset about something and react by messaging me in a not-so-pleasant manner.

The positive outweighs the negative though. I enjoy the interactions and am not going to put myself in a bubble...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

How do you get messages off-site, about your position here? Unless the off-site people know what you do, and how would they know that?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
To the member who asked if we would turn over info requested by the authorities, not without a court order but the only info we have are the posts, a user name, the email used to sign ip (usually a shell email for the purpose of signing up) and an ip address. The first two are public, the third is, usually, useless. The last is the only thing that might be of use and they'd need the court order to obtain it, or the email.

Stalked? Here and, once, in real life by an ex. Totally unrelated to ats or the Internet.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Really, you were stalked here. Any details?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

username (yea right)
email (not hard to get)
ipaddress (interesting, but come on, you know as well as I do that providers recycle ip's)

So....what can ATS say about anyone, nothing.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by StlSteve

Well, usually it was former members.

My MSN and Skype usernames are pretty much public knowledge. My MSN name was in my signature for a long time, and I've given my Skype name out to many people. Again, primarily because I love the interaction.

Sometimes instead of submitting a complaint in response to a staff action one disagrees with... some chose to send rather hateful messages instead. I don't know. I suppose it's a way for them to vent?

Admittedly the first few times it was a bit disturbing, but you have to have thick skin for this.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by StlSteve
reply to post by Crakeur

(interesting, but come on, you know as well as I do that providers recycle ip's)

Shhh. Obama will hear you.

-B

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

Understood. Were you worried at all? I don't get to talk with a mod that often

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by baked

There was a crazy incident (true story) a while back when I lived in the Buffalo area, and worked from home on ATS.

As you can imagine, my in-home wireless network is as secure as I can make it, including being alerted by the router for new log-in attempts. While I was on the phone with Mark (Springer), the router lit up like Times Square with a series of log-in attempts -- and sure enough, a "white van" was a couple houses away. I turned off wireless access, and 5 minutes later, the van left.

I've never had any other log-in attempts since I changed the name of our wireless network to "NSA-SUBNODE-019."

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

hehehe mine's NSA monitoring HUB

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Huh, funny. Tonight when I went into town I was driving behind a grey van that had a very beat up back door going about 35 mph on the back roads. When I was driving home, lo and behold, there was the exact grey van with the dented in back door going about 20 mph in front of me. I kept my distance when I saw it, held way, way back. I thought this is weird stuff! I was even coming up with scenarios in my mind that if it stopped what would I do? That is why I kept an extremely s-l-o-w distance behind. It was snowy and the roads weren't great but they certainly didn't warrant that speed. It turned off but didn't signal prior to its turn; I hustled on home from there, which wasn't far at all. I'm just saying; weird indeed. Probably just a neighbor but I'll keep my eye out for it.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

If you posted that (without the site owner stuff) people would eat you alive

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATSmediaPRO

hehehe mine's NSA monitoring HUB

[renaming router name as we speak -- CIA Surveilance wireless -- ok done]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>