It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM Makes Major Advance in Artificial Intelligence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Getting there....

Our robot overlord isn’t named HAL or SkyNET -- it’s Watson.

After four years of development, IBM on Thursday publicly unveiled a computing system that specializes in analyzing natural human language and answering complex questions. In other words, it’s really good at Jeopardy!.

To test its acumen, the machine was pitted in an exhibition match against the most celebrated human contestants, Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, to stunning effect. Watson quickly cleared out the entire first category without the humans getting even a buzz in.

Named after IBM founder Thomas J. Watson, the project is a defining breakthrough in artificial intelligence technology, said John E. Kelly III, senior vice president and director of IBM Research.

“We’ve created a system that can interact in a very special way,” he said at the demonstration. “People spend their lifetime trying to advance [the field of artificial intelligence] by inches. What Watson does has demonstrated the ability to advance the field of artificial intelligence by miles.”

IBM's Watson Computer Wallops 'Jeopardy!' Champs in Trial Run

It's not perfect.... yet.

What do others think about AI and where it's going?

At this rate, we will have computers that are smarter than us in our iPhones in a few years. Just wait until your phone or computer literally makes you feel stupid.

~Namaste
edit on 13-1-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
AI will advance until able to replace humans. The elite will kill the majority of humans while maintaining AI slaves. AI slaves will destroy remaining humans. That will be the next age of Earth.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This sounds like the first big step into the world of "Broad A.I."

"Narrow A.I." are systems that do one thing really well, better than humans, but it can only do that one thing. For example, anti-lock breaking systems, GPS navigation systems, or playing chess.

"Broad A.I." are systems that can do many things better than humans. Language is a big obstacle to be overcome before AI can begin to become better than humans, and hence, "broad". And it looks like they just got the first foot over it.

The next step is to begin building on this new found "super-ability".

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

S&F! Nice find! Lead me to this youtube video which goes more in-depth on the challenges IBM faced when attempting to make a "Jeopardy bot"; or an AI sufficient enough to understand a question posed, formulate an answer, buzz in if it thinks it's right, then go for it!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I thought you were going to tell us BB wired a ratbrain to a chessboard

Meatbots are an order of magnitude of complexity ahead of rockbots.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
S&F
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Here a video of Watson.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
There are two common theories involving the end result of AI Advancement.

Scenario One is the complete surpassing, overtaking and eradication of all human life on earth.

Scenario Two is the melding of man and machine, to create a new bio-mechanical life form that can traverse the stars.

Pick your poison. The truth is, what do you call an android? We already use extra-biological 'addon's'.

Glasses
Night Vision
Prosthetic Limbs
Hearing Aids

The next step is to take a concept like glasses and improve on the norm.

Here's a good documentary from the scientists' mouths themselves about what they call Transhumanism/Posthumanism.

Google Video Link

Google Video Link

The singularity is the point at which the next generation of AI is created by the AI itself. At this point, evolution of the AI is measured at light speed, because that is the speed that computers process at.

Crazy stuff. S+F to OP.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
this is scary

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

Surely Watson will make failing the Turing Test much easier for people

Love the people celebrating in that video on beating the computer
get it in while you can; machines are truly on the rise!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

I have this gut feeling, whenever I seriously contemplate this topic, that once the Singularity is reached, something completely unexpected will happen.

Something absolutely amazing, wonderful, and in the end, almost incomprehensible.

edit on 13-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Yeah, I saw that guy on Prophets of Doom, on the History channel. The idea of the "singularity" in regards to AI is quite frightening.

Like he posed in the History channel episode: What if the machines decide ti eliminate all the Oxygen because it's corrosive to their circuitry? What would we do then?

Boggles the mind ;P

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
A little humor here...

I was just thinking that if I said something to Watson that it already knows, would it respond with "No s##t Sherlock!"

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

You are precisely right.

A lot of people don't understand how much "narrow" AI is around them everywhere. It is much different than what is presented in the story.

To elaborate, the more narrow scope AI is something like a telephone system that reads patterns in your voice and matches them to pre-defined inputs that have similar patterns, such as a recorded voice or a phonetics file. Very much the same systems that you get when you call and big business nowadays.

Watson on the other hand, is detecting natural speech and making patterns without pre-defined inputs. This system could technically be put on the other end of a chat window and answer your questions, and you'd probably never know that it wasn't human. THAT, is a MAJOR, and I mean MAJOR advancement.

I've worked in the computer business for many years and have done AI development. It is the HARDEST area of computer science to work in because it deals with what is known as fuzzy logic. Designing these systems requires incredible foresight.

The next step is incorporating feedback systems into Watson so that it can learn from it's mistakes and the mistakes of others. Build that system so it can record all of it's actions, and just like a child that grows up, it will soon be able to "think" on it's own.

I don't see apocalyptic things with AI because as humans who design these systems, we will ALWAYS keep self-preservation in mind, and so I see these systems being used to answer and help solve the world's problems, the ones that seem too big for us to do.

Either way, it's right around the corner now.

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by igigi

Great find!

Start for you on that one....

I admire these guys for constantly pushing the envelope, I just wish it wasn't always for profit.

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Well to be honest, I'm surprised they're still putting any money into R&D. Then again they probably offshored this too, and it's probably a DoD-related contract (and money) that keeps this project going. It's bound to be weaponized, that is if that wasn't the intent to begin with. Hope this greedy, almost traitorous anti-American, anti-worker scumbag corporation doesn't make much money from it.. The real "artificial" intelligence lies with the crooked CEOs of this and other companies and their short-sighted beancounters..

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
There's a big difference between "intelligence" and a program that can extrapolate a database query out of an orally presented question.

I'm really not all that impressed. It's Dragon Naturally Speaking combined with Ask Jeeves.

I'm actually insulted by the concept of this being considered "AI" - as it demonstrates what people qualify as intelligence.

Come back when I can tell my computer to self-debug programs, and successfully complete an incomplete instruction - IE: to tell my computer: "go get me a banana" and my computer, without a myriad of pre-programmed subroutines, searches for a banana and acquires one to return it to me. Or, when told to "change the lightbulb," it stacks objects or retrieves a ladder to reach its objective without specific programming.

It's one thing to program a computer with causal links and preconceptions. It's another to program a computer to actually think for itself and develop its own plan of action.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Give a couple of the videos a try, it's MUCH more than just Dragon Naturally Speaking and Ask Jeeves combined.
IBM explains how questions and answers aren't simply a prompt-answer format, some questions are worded confusingly, or in the case of Jeopardy!, organized to deliberately fool you. To throw you off the right answer trail.

With that in mind, you can begin to see how a very complex set of algorithms would need to be developed, just to understand what the computer is being asked! Beyond that point it's even more complex to chalk up a response adequate enough for the question posed.

You'll see in the videos that Watson gets things wrong, and my even be prone to "infinite loops" of wrong answers. But I'm sure IBM has the bugs out, right? God help us if Isaac Asimov's laws are broken in the process!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

I don't disagree with you, but AI has to happen in stages and this is the next stage.

Before the computer or robot can "do" anything for you, it first has to be able to process your requests through speech.

Oh, and sorry, but you need to be corrected on this....

Dragon does simple dictation and speech recognition, it is not able to carry a conversation or tell the difference between a statement and a question like Watson does. It also does not recognize when you are trying to be funny or witty or sarcastic, but Watson does. This is what "natural speech" means.

Also, there is not a database with a bunch of questions and answers that it looks up, that would be ridiculous to call such a thing AI at all, and that is not what Watson does. It is meant to be a more "human" version of the chess playing Big Blue.

Thanks for the comments though!

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by igigi

You beat me by two minutes!

Good post!

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

No problem man! Like minds I tell ya..

Today’s practice run was just a glimpse of what's to come, in other words. IBM announced the contest in December. The official first-ever man vs. machine Jeopardy competition will take place Friday, and will air on February 14, 15, and 16. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Looks like we've got a while before we get to see yet *another* machine romp all over mankind in a trivial game

top topics

<<   2 >>

join