It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
although i am new hear, just a few days before all this attention. i appreciate the reminder. its good that while searching for truths and expressing our thoughts and ideas, we dont take things too personal if someone else doesnt agree, cant see reason
or just isnt very socailly graceful. thanks for the heads up!!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This is for the greatest good

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I came to ATS specifically from another alternative news site for this very reason. It was nothing more than name calling and ranting.

Not that I can't handle it, heck I’ve been to war and seen a lot of things way worse but discussion can be done without having to call each other names.

Want to ask a legitimate question though; even if there are members some as young as 13 - I guess I don't understand the reason for the "Avoiding the language Filter" warning.

I got one warning already for using %&^%& in place of a curse word. Its no different IMO than Yosimite Sam saying his razimn fraking whatsih stogic (or however he does his little rant) - that Warner Bros kids cartoons, the audiance; kids way younger than 13 know its in place of him cursing.

That is a device used in the Sunday funny papers even as far back as I can remember reading them - which is about 40 years. Even in a Family Circus toon, this is about as tame as they get.

I could see if I spelled the word with say an extra space that made it obvious what the word was or something but heck more strict than the funny pages? Seems a little harsh for a "Deny Ignorance Site".

Also, some advice please then on how to quote someone from their work that is acceptable in place of a curse word. Would all **** be ok or what?

I just want to not get warnings; I want to comply just thought $%&^%&$ would be ok.

Any help here would be appreciated - like the place, think I can contribute some good stuff so want to remain credible and in within tolerance limits.

Golf66 - Out!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I ask one question and one question only, why does it say we all joined on the same date: 09/30/10?...
That is a conspiracy in itself. However, for the rest of the new members....welcome.
We are very intelligent people and act with civility and decor.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by antmax21

I ask one question and one question only, why does it say we all joined on the same date: 09/30/10?...
That is a conspiracy in itself. However, for the rest of the new members....welcome.
We are very intelligent people and act with civility and decor.

What?? Your profile reads,

Mood: Thinking
Member was on ATS

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
Obviously a ploy by ATS to bring in more censorship..
Next it will be "pat downs" to login..

BTW, I hope humour is still permitted.

I hope they wash their hands first lolol

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Sentiment acknowledged. I've not been here very long myself, (as an actual member anyway) but have really enjoyed some of the threads on some very controversial topics. At least until they deteriorate into personal assaults, and name calling. There's a lot of hostility, and juvenile behavior here on the internet, and it's not hard to find. What's harder to find is civil, reasoned dialogue on controversial topics. Overall, I've found ATS to be a great example of a well laid out, well moderated site of the highest integrity. Please keep up the good work.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

All the better....

Thanks for the Update.

Wildmanimal

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

hey BH...glad to see you post on this thread, and once again i agree with what you say..i must say though that the majority of this poisonous rhetoric is originating from one side of the political spectrum. and i believe you have read enough posts to come to that same conclusion.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Also remember civility is a two way street.
Along with nasty replies comes the "leading OP".
Yes, I can sometimes be baited to reply "spiritedly" when I don't fancy being led by the nose in a contrary, and often insulting direction.

Sometimes it is difficult in the first few replies to a post to actually determine if the OP is serious, passionate, or just off/or needing serious help and/or medication.

But I do try.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
it is said manners are the grease of society, when manners go so does society.

this is a growing problem, and not just on ATS, not just online, and not just the U.S

the World is stressing. The near future will be interesting to say the least, from bus fights in Lincoln NE. to the toppling in Tunisia..

The past 5 days ATS is getting "focus" so you "feel" it more.

but it's not isolated, it's everywhere.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
could you please correct the message error. everytime i load a page, i get a noticification to read this thread, and it's the same one i got when you first sent out the message and i've read it. dunno why but it just keeps popping up.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Proving A Point

Originally posted by [davinci]
6 people banned in this very thread?

Threads like these are classic troll-bait.

Which, ironically enough, makes our job easier.

you took the words right out of my mouth! looks like half the work has been done by this thread alone

I have been known to break T&C more than once & have had a few warnings, but things have changed alot since then & what I used to see as a 'bit nit picky' I've grown to really appreciate about this place & I'm pretty keen to see this site at its best again

thanks for all your work creating & maintaining the unique pleasure that is ATS

It is appreciated

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Ah, Skeptic. I see that you have once again posted about manners and decorum. However, instead of instructing members of the merits of behaving on a higher moral plane (as you repeatedly have in the past), you have finally resulted to issuing a simple and stern warning to the members. You say that it is because of “Recent events”, yet you do not attempt to explain them. Perhaps you are referring to who can at least be called perhaps “The ATS Shooter”.

I see that you are finally coming to the realization of the sad truth that I have been trying to explain to you these many times. That truth being that if you decide to openly include the masses of the entire population without regard to any standards of truth and critical review then you will be inundated with the rantings of the mentally insane. It has been this way for some time now, but it is only recently that it is beginning to widely be known that ATS harbors some of the most ridiculous and insane groupings of individuals in the world. This has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt “in light of recent events” as you have said. Yet, if I rightly call an insane poster, insane, on this forum for their rantings and illogical statements I, and not they, are seen as the antagonist who is “not being kind to others”. So, the person who leaves, or rarely posts, is the logical critical thinker, while the mentally insane continue to rant and rave about meaningless fancy without any critical review or response.

Now, instead of being a site administrator, you have sunken to the level of a scolding parent bringing out the switch upon his uncontrollable, degenerate children. My, have far things have been allowed to fall eh? I warned you of where this site was headed a long time ago. You have allowed the insane to post here without critical review and now the site will begin to be know as “The Asylum” by the various law enforcement authorities of the world. Your desire for continued viewership at all costs has brought you, and us, to this stage.

For how much longer did you expect the atheists, the lizard alien accusers, and now the Lucid Dreamers, to continue to post without their due critical responses before it began to affect the membership and the entire image of the site? Did you honestly think that this could continue unabated for infinity without some sort of massive degradation of advertising income and viewership? Do you have any idea where it is that this site is headed? Well I will give you a clue.

The intelligent will continue to leave, the insane will continue to thrive here, and in the end, the site will be excluded by advertisers and the general public alike. New sites will be born that punish the insane and delete their posts instead of those of their detractors. This site, despite its name, will live on a lingering death until not even the insane visit anymore for their insatiable need for attention at any cost will not be met by the limited viewership. Is that where you want ATS to go, because that is where it has been going full steam for some time now, and its finally rearing its ugly head in many very public ways?

There is only one answer to this, as I have informed you, and that is to allow for critical review of posters. Stop allowing the insane to have their run of your site and it will again be what you want it to be. Allow your moderators to demand logical review and proof of wild claims and the insane will leave here in droves. You are the one who allows them to rant and take over the forum unchecked. You are the one who has let your web site be taken over by the needy, the mentally challenged, and the criminally minded. It is not the members that need to be scolded and switched it is you that needs this. You are the one who has allowed this, and still you only rant about decorum and manners to those who firtsly have none, and secondly come here for your protection from logic and sanity.

Clean up the nut house of “The Asylum” and then, and only then, will you have manners and decorum.
edit on 16-1-2011 by Hot_Wings because: spelling

edit on 16-1-2011 by Hot_Wings because: ligibility

edit on 16-1-2011 by Hot_Wings because: more grammer errors

edit on 16-1-2011 by Hot_Wings because: grammer

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hot_Wings
Clean up the nut house of “The Asylum” and then, and only then, will you have manners and decorum.

I disagree..
The insane can be intelligent, they can be accurate and insightful in their postings and can occupy the same statistical demographics the rest of society. Further, who determines who is insane and who is simply imaginative, naive, or trolling?

We have Moderators who enforce the Ts & Cs to keep things polite and on track...no need to practice virtual eugenics on this site the way you are suggesting. As to the intelligent leaving...we all have the choice of posting or not posting, visiting or not visiting.

I encourage those who feel themselves above the tumult that is ATS to exercise their options in whichever manner they consider appropriate. And not to let the door slam them...well, you know.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hot_Wings

Your argument is flawed on a very basic level.

Namely the following: What may be insane to you, may not be so insane to someone else.

Take for instance Erad3's writings. I stated it in the other thread, at first glance they look like disjointed and a little out there, but when you go back and look at them, they have almost a musical, lyrical sound to them if you read them aloud, now, is it insanity talking, maybe, but it's still worth reading and trying to understand.

If you start labeling people as insane, you run the risk of the site admins becoming gods that decide who's ideas are valid and who's aren't based upon their writing style, and not what they are really trying to say... And that is more dangerous than some insane ramblings any day.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

when i first read his posts, he sounded like he was trying to write in the same vein as the ancient texts of akkad. i forget what that style is called, but here's an example:

In those days, in the days when heaven and earth were created; in those nights, in the nights when heaven and earth were created; in those years, in the years when the fates were determined

www-etcsl.orient.ox.ac.uk...

could be he was trying to write a limerick embedded with code, such as this book which was a story written as a fairly tale, peppered with rhymes, and embedded with a code (it's an old book contest, that offered the prize of a golden hare if you could figure out the riddles in it. it's been solved).

bunnyears.net...
edit on 16-1-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

if that were true, wouldn't COAST TO COAST AM, with George Noory (and Art Bell) have been cancelled a long time ago? or say, books and movies about the assassination of JFK, all of which have a slightly to extremely different approach to the topic?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

...You are the one who allows them to rant and take over the forum unchecked. You are the one who has let your web site be taken over by the needy, the mentally challenged, and the criminally minded. It is not the members that need to be scolded and switched it is you that needs this. You are the one who has allowed this, and still you only rant about decorum and manners to those who firtsly have none, and secondly come here for your protection from logic and sanity.

Clean up the nut house of “The Asylum” and then, and only then, will you have manners and decorum. ...

I find the tone of your post to be specious, spurious and possessed of a vitriolic undercurrent.

As a 7-year member - intelligent, reasonably well-educated and possessed of great decorum and good manners - I find myself personally insulted by your allegations against SO.

If you're serious about your concerns, check out your options here: Best of the Web Hosts.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join