It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
These ad hominems, insults and name calling are getting out of hand again on some threads. It is now nigh on impassible to have a reasonable discussion on some topics without being subjected to this. The chemtrail threads are one such example.

Thanks mods for what you do.

It's also up to each member to do their bit and report this kind of thing.. imo

edit on 29-5-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

ya i've noticed it's been getting kind of bad lately...I've been refraining from posting as much as I want to lately largely in part to this so I can just avoid it altogether...

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile

ya i've noticed it's been getting kind of bad lately...I've been refraining from posting as much as I want to lately largely in part to this so I can just avoid it altogether...

Yes, me too, and I know others, have stopped discussing certain topics because of it.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Certain topics attract drama-seekers, it's true.

I can only repeat that the best way to stop this behavior is to alert the staff
Contacting Staff: Alerts, Suggestions, Complaints

I can't guarantee that everything you alert is material that will get removed, but T&C violations are removed.

We need members to let us know when things are going bad.
Rather than engaging the potential problem poster, alert us....please.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Certain topics attract drama-seekers, it's true.

I can only repeat that the best way to stop this behavior is to alert the staff

I can't guarantee that everything you alert is material that will get removed, but T&C violations are removed.

We need members to let us know when things are going bad.
Rather than engaging the potential problem poster, alert us....please.

Thanks for that post, DontTreadOnMe. It's good to have that confirmed.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by ThousandIslandSunny

That would certainly be bad manners.

We do not encourage, actually the T&C Forbids ANY form of name calling towards other members. Productive debate can and will be done with civility and politness on ats

~Keeper

Thank you! I didn`t want to be oversensitive about being accused.

Tis

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

DTOM, you say don't respond to the trolls, and to report them. Well, what does one do if nothing is done to stop the trolls, even though alerts have been sent to the mods?

There is a group of obvious trolls systematically derailing each and every thread on chemtrails. They aren't interested in the topic, simply in disrupting and derailing. They're rude, scathing, insulting, repetitive and descend together on every single chemtrail thread. Some of them post uniqiuely on chemtrail threads - at least one has never made a post on any other topic.

I'm not alone in observing this. I personally know of about 4 people who have said they won't participate in the discussions because of these trolls. Or is internet bullying now considered ok?

I don't understand why the mods are allowing this to continue. Does it have to reach the point where things get nasty before mods will intervene to stop trolls, like it did on 9/11 threads.

I appreciate that mods may not believe the chemtrail theory, but nevertheless, surely a reasonable discussion should be allowed to take place for those who wish.

I would really appreciate your comments on this, thanks.
edit on 1-6-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Members are free to post their "theories" and others are free to refute them. Having someone participate and not be in agreement doesn't make them a troll.

It also seems that if you feel strongly about something you might be apt to consider anyone on the other side of your beliefs as wrong, rude, ill-mannered and such.

Please continue to alert. We need to see specifics to know whether or not members are intentionally derailing and disrupting.
We do see them and act on the ones that violate the rules. A few may slip through the cracks, be I think the staff has a pretty good track record of acting on alerts.
One thing for sure, if you don't alert on a post, and we don't see it, it will stay.

The Chemtrails forum is like many of the forums on ATS.
The participants have strong feelings, which is great for debate as long as things remain civil.

Also, the staff is just about as impartial as we can possibly be. We do not moderate in threads in which we participate. We recuse ourselves from topics where we feel we cannot be fair.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Also, the staff is just about as impartial as we can possibly be. We do not moderate in threads in which we participate. We recuse ourselves from topics where we feel we cannot be fair.

Well there goes my chances of being a Mod, I seem to have an opinion in every forum.

But what the other posters are saying is true..
The same groups of posters turn up in certain topics and post en mass which does derail a thread..
IMO the ONLY way to stop a lot of it would be to act more strictly on the "off topic" rule.
At least then the thread would have a chance of discussing the particular incident or theory..
Obviously both sides need to do the same..

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Members are free to post their "theories" and others are free to refute them. Having someone participate and not be in agreement doesn't make them a troll.

Of course, but I'm referring specifically to trolls.

It also seems that if you feel strongly about something you might be apt to consider anyone on the other side of your beliefs as wrong, rude, ill-mannered and such.

That is a possibility, but that's not what I'm referring to. I am referring to trolls, who won't allow any reasonable debate between members without hijacking the discussion using obvious troll tactics.

Please continue to alert. We need to see specifics to know whether or not members are intentionally derailing and disrupting.
We do see them and act on the ones that violate the rules. A few may slip through the cracks, be I think the staff has a pretty good track record of acting on alerts.
One thing for sure, if you don't alert on a post, and we don't see it, it will stay.

The Chemtrails forum is like many of the forums on ATS.
The participants have strong feelings, which is great for debate as long as things remain civil.

Debate is being stifled. I know of several members who avoid the threads, even though they would otherwise participate, because of trolling.

That's good practice and good to hear.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

reply to post by backinblack

Members that come to ATS for the sole purpose of trolling and disrupting should be aware that change is in the air.

Currently, we are making an effort to stem the tide of trollery and disruption.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just because we have singled out 3 forums at the present time, members should be aware that derailing and off topic posts are not allowed anywhere.

If you as a member are avoiding certain forums, send a note to a mod you know, or use the other methods to contact staff.

I cannot guarantee you will see threads such as the above in your favorite forums next week or next month, but the more we are aware of issues, the better we are able to get back to intelligent debate.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Does a mod keep bumping this or something? I keep seeing it reach the top of my list, but no new posts. Or is myATS malfunctioning on me?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, we bump certain threads to keep them visible.

Which reminds me: I should bump a few threads myself.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I have been around ATS for a little while. All the reasons I joined ATS I have watched erode, until ATS looks very much like some of the other less monitored and uncivilized forums about the internet.

One reason I believe this is so is because too many people come to the forums with their own agendas and instead of creating their own thread to discuss their issues they wander about the boards creating posts with no other purpose but to create malcontent.

You can tell immediately who these people are because they usually have not taken the time to read the original post and only respond to the replies that match their own mindset. They latch onto one key word or thought and all reason or attempts of civil conversation goes out the window.

ATS is going to lose a lot of good members that have interesting, mature and intellectual content to share. Too many of the threads are hijacked and ultimately derailed by this behavior and many members have chosen to spend their time and attention elsewhere.

I don't know if ATS can pull back now. I hope you can salvage it but it is not looking very promising.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I have been around ATS for a little while. All the reasons I joined ATS I have watched erode, until ATS looks very much like some of the other less monitored and uncivilized forums about the internet.

Wow
all I ever see are continual complaints that ATS is over moderated and the staff suck and don't we have anything better to do

Damnd if we do. Damned if we dont.
edit on July 4th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
well
post your position
display your references...
readers aren't totally whacked

there is such a thing as discernment
if readers don't have that
you can't help them

PS

this is the best staff on the internet

edit on 4-7-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Wow all I ever see are continual complaints that ATS is over moderated and the staff suck and don't we have anything better to do

Damnd if we do. Damned if we dont.

No, IMO ATS mods do a fantastic job but there is absolutely nothing you can do to curtail well organized trolls..

They are becoming more apparent and are easy to see with their posting history showing they concentrate on certain forums..

They stay within T&C and merely derail a thread with multiple posts and borderline attacks..

I've been baited and silly enough to respond which draws deserved Mod action on me..

My response has been to post less and I'm sure others have the same view..

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

there's nothing to fear from ELENIN. someone wants you to be afraid. its not causing earthquakes. its NOT causing anything but, LIES. The only thing we need to be afraid of is mass panic because of all the lies.

ELENIN IS THE START OF SOMETHING BETTER THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE!

LOOK AT ITS CLEAN BURNING IONIC TAIL AND TRY NOT TO TELL ME ITS JUST A COMET!

ELENIN IS GOOD STUFF PEOPLE!

THIS MAY BE THE START OF THE WORLD #! I CANT WAIT!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I am sorry sory sorry and sorry again, I made a thread in the chem area. I decided I would try to let it die and not respond, but today, I return to look at it, and Oh My God, it's just awfull. Someone went to the trouble of injecting into it, that I was dropped on my head as an infant. Apparently, this person was with my mother and father and the hospital staff back in the late 1950's, (Otherwise, how would they know such a thing?) But seriously, those kinds of personal attacks, just because I feel a video makes me question the behaviour of the Authorities in the video. Apparently, it is illegal and unpatriotic to do so.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

They stay within T&C and merely derail a thread with multiple posts and borderline attacks..
I've been baited and silly enough to respond which draws deserved Mod action on me..
My response has been to post less and I'm sure others have the same view..

Me too. I will never again make a thread or comment there. The quashers won, because there are more of them than me, here. I don't like being ganged up on. Who does?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join