It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Torrent of Star Information [Messier-82 (M82)]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

A new Chandra X-ray Observatory image of Messier 82, or M82, shows the result of star formation on overdrive. M82 is located about 12 million light years from Earth and is the nearest place to us where the conditions are similar to those when the Universe was much younger with lots of stars forming.

M82 is a so-called starburst galaxy, where stars are forming at rates that are tens or even hundreds of times higher than in a normal galaxy. The burst of star birth may be caused by a close encounter or collision with another galaxy, which sends shock waves rushing through the galaxy. In the case of M82, astronomers think that a brush with its neighbor galaxy M81 millions of years ago set off this torrent of star formation.

Source : www.nasa.gov...

Well this is certainly a great find. I love the back story of this galaxy having another hurtle into it and create this stellar boom. It's amazing what we learn about this cosmic playground every single day.

I think that this will be the best, and first place, to look at studying the formation and life of black holes since so many are expected to be created here. I wonder what other discoveries we will find as well, maybe even involving antimatter. I imagine that the power of a mere thunderstorm on earth is so infintely small compared to the storm created by colliding galaxies.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Exquisitely Beautiful. Thank you for the post. Also exciting.

join