It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother leaves newborn in Walmart toilet-Found not guilty-TWICE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This story originally broke in 2007.

April Halkett, 22, is accused of giving birth in a washroom in a Walmart store in the northern Saskatchewan city in May 2007 and abandoning the baby in a toilet bowl.

www.cbc.ca...

A woman who gave birth in a Wal-Mart washroom in Prince Albert, Sask., and left the baby behind has been found not guilty of child abandonment, a judge has ruled.

www.cbc.ca...

The Saskatchewan Court of Appeal has dismissed an appeal by the Crown in a case where a mother left her newborn son in the toilet of a Prince Albert Walmart in May 2007.

www.globalsaskatoon.com...

Although I tend to sway more toward the side of the prosecution in this case, I must agree that there are many cases in which young mothers are completely unaware of the fact that they are pregnant. I wonder, since she was unaware of this pregnancy and had no prenatal bonding with this infant, could that have contributed to her total lack of maternal instinct? I mean, once she saw that there was in fact a baby in the toilet, why wouldn't she have pulled it out then? Was justice done in this case. I don't know. Perhaps we'll have to wait and ask the child when it has grown up enough to know what her "mother" did. What do you think?

edit on 13-1-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: change wording

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I don't believe her, that's crap... But i'll go along with the court and say since she's negligent to a baby she didn't even know and was scared..... I think she doesn't ever need to have a baby ever, and they should do whatever it takes to make her infertile.. Does that sound mean? maybe, but I don't believe her and don't care, if you're that dumb, you should'nt be breading anyway.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
This is absolutely horrifying in every possible sense of the word. I might take it a bit more seriously being that I am a mother.

I have a hard time believing that someone would not know they are pregnant for the entire pregnancy. In the beginning, yes I can understand, but in last trimester, no. No, no, no. Absolutely not. When I was in the third trimester of both of my pregnancies people across the room could see my babies moving. They kick you in the ribs, make your belly lopsided, stretch and put horrible pressure on your bladder. Their movements are very OBVIOUS. I would agree that maybe she was in denial, but she had to have had some idea she was pregnant. Pregnancy drastically changes your body and I cannot believe for a second that she wouldn't have noticed.

She should be in jail. She left her own child for dead. In a toilet. There is no excuse for that.

What is the world coming to?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
How could you leave a baby in a toilet without knowing it surely you would know it is in the toilet that really is sickening.You just have to wonder why she left that baby in the toilet.It is her own child for goodness sake

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I realize that this is a very controversial subject and any mother would be passionate about it, but not all women have the same experiences. Just sit in a hair salon & listen...lol. If you are in doubt that this is a real "affliction", please visit this site & watch!

health.discovery.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
How can someone possibly not know they are pregnant? The only reasonable explanation would be that they are mentally retarded and are unable to understand what is going on.
Can you be so obese as to not notice? Surely after several months you've got to realize that kicking & moving & pressure down there seems to be a little bit excessive even for the most "urgent" bowel movements.
As sad as this is, and as many infants are killed, abandoned, neglected....the only two cures I can think of at the moment are either educating potential mothers (which is hardly effective at all) or some sort of population control, which absolutely no one would like.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

I saw a bunch of those shows back when I had cable, which has been a while ago. I still have a hard time believing that they wouldn't have noticed. Your body changes dramatically. Your waistline expands, your breasts change in size and shape (often causing pain that is hard to ignore), you urinate very frequently due to increased blood volume and your kidneys working overtime to process it, your appetite changes, your skin and hair can change, your hormones are through the roof, your period stops, your baby kicks you repeatedly every day sometimes causing extreme discomfort (IE foot to the ribs), braxton hicks contractions, swelling of the feet and ankles, and towards the end a lot of really gross stuff happens that I will not say because all of the men here will run away screaming

I just find it very hard to believe that all of the changes would go unnoticed. How can they be so out of tune with their bodies? I think in most cases, they are in denial. They know something is happening within their bodies and they just refuse/are too scared to accept/acknowledge/admit it.

new topics

top topics

join