It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wildfire Danger 'Extreme' in Northeast Florida; 2011 to Be Active Year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
www.firstcoastnews.com...

Northeast Florida is experiencing "extreme" drought conditions, and cold, windy weather only adds to the danger of wildfires.

The Keetch-Byrum Drought Index (KBDI) is used to measure the dryness of the soil.

According to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (DOACS), the index normally measures between 241 and 420 for this time of year.

This year, however, the same factors that prevented a major hurricane strike are contributing to a much more severe drought. The KBDI is 548 for Duval County today, which qualifies as "extreme" fire danger. In neighboring Clay County, the number is even higher: 631.

This is an article from my local news station. While there are horrible floods in Panama, Australia, and Sri Lanka along with the heavy snow and ice which pummeled the Southeastern and Northeastern United States the past few days us here in Northeast Florida are dangerously dry.

Being a lifelong resident of this area I can honestly say that the last time I had seen anything as horrible was this was probably 4 years ago when the Bugaboo fire, largest in Florida history, was burning here in Northeast Florida. Even then I do not believe the weather was as dry as it is now. We could be rivaling even the year of 1998 when the smoke in Jacksonville was so bad people were wearing surgical face masks.

We had a little rain from the cold front which dropped snow across the Deep South a few days ago but it couldn’t have been more than a half-inch. I would have to say that we have not had any considerable rainfall since probably August or September. In December we had only 2 days of rain and it was not very heavy at all. November was not much different with only 2 or 3 days of light rainfall.

I am starting to worry about March when the weather warms up and the fires start throughout the region since I live in a heavily wooded area with miles upon miles of woods in all directions.

To most this may not seem very important but to us here in NE Florida it is. Also it just adds to the strangeness of our global weather these past months, this month especially.

Please just send us some rain!
edit on 1/13/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
This is not good news, with all the disasters happening around the world and in America it is frightening. I hope the fire danger doesn't come to pass in Florida, with Hurricanes in the past this beautiful state has suffered enough.

Will not only be praying for Florida but for every where in the world.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Ya it's not good all. All you can do is Rent a dozer and clear your of brush at least 1000 ft back from your house.
I saw a farmer on the AG Chanel from northern Florida who had never seen a drought like this in 33 years.
Between the bitter cold and lack of rain, he was hoping for a miracle to come next fall.

He was standing in front of 800 acres of dirt, or his failed crop.

new topics

join