It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mammoth 'could be reborn in four years'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Mammoth 'could be reborn in four years'

www.telegraph.co.uk

Previous efforts in the 1990s to recover nuclei in cells from the skin and muscle tissue from mammoths found in the Siberian permafrost failed because they had been too badly damaged by the extreme cold.

But a technique pioneered in 2008 by Dr. Teruhiko Wakayama, of the Riken Centre for Developmental Biology, was successful in cloning a mouse from the cells of another mouse that had been frozen for 16 years.

Now that hurdle has been overcome, Akira Iritani, a professor at Kyoto University, is reactivating his campaign to resurrect the species that died out 5,000 years ago.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.bbc.co.uk...
historiesofthingstocome.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This will be a remarkable advance in the biological sciences. It is suspected that it was human beings that caused the extinction of the mammoth and it is only right that we should reinstate them in their habitats.

Only a few weeks ago, the media reported that the DNA was extracted from a humanoid called a Denisovan. Could we see in future long extinct humanoids like the Neanderthal brought to life?

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-1-2011 by Ilovecatbinlady because: to add video and photo

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
That is exactly what we need another endangered species..
Then when they start dropping dead people will be complaining about how they are almost extinct again

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
So will it be half mammoth half elephant?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by IlovecatbinladyOnly a few weeks ago, the media reported that the DNA was extracted from a humanoid called a Denisovan. Could we see in future long extinct humanoids like the Neanderthal brought to life?
That would be awful. Could you imagine the repercussions of allowing the elite to manufacture brutish, barbaric disposable soldiers? What other purpose would they serve anyway?

I'm all aboard bringing the mammoth back though, although I doubt it would fare well in todays world.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kayzar

hahaha this is a good point. besides why would you introduce a species that was biologically designed for the ice age into a warming climate. kinda dooming them from the start don't ya think?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
... I was wondering what happened to that Mammoth! I would have thought they would have brought it to life ages ago! In my opinion, I think it'll be nice to bring back to life the Mammoth! It's an animal we've never come across!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
! Can you imagine going to the zoo, and seeing the mammoth exhibit? That would be so great. I immediately thought of Jurassic Park after reading this. Maybe we can find other extinct animals to clone? Bring back the dodo bird, that would be cool. I would enjoy seeing some sabre-tooth tigers at the zoo also. Sure, right now we probably cannot do that because the cells are too damaged, but I can definitely envision a day where all it takes is one little sample of the bone to get a copy of the DNA, then the specimen can be cloned in no time. But I can also see a down-side to this, powerful people having countless clones in case of their death, one soldier being cloned to make an army of unstoppable fighters. I'm thinking way to far ahead here.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
So will it be half mammoth half elephant?

Good question but I think they will use an elephant egg with the DNA removed, replaced with the mammoth DNA and allowed to gestate in the elephant. Interestingly enough, there has been several unrelated frozen mammoths discovered in Siberia alone and this number is good enough to start a herd. Every other new discovery could be used as a new genetic infusion every decade or so to prevent problems.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ilovecatbinlady
Only a few weeks ago, the media reported that the DNA was extracted from a humanoid called a Denisovan. Could we see in future long extinct humanoids like the Neanderthal brought to life?

Geico and the bleeding hearts would be so psyched if this happened! Geico could pay the real caveman peanuts compared to the actor playing the caveman in it's commercials. And the bleeding hearts could be in the headlines every time someone used the C-word! ('C' standing for caveman, not that other C-Word.)

Actually, I'm not sure where I stand on this. The Mammoth would be cool, but messing with humanoids? Where would it stop?
edit on 13-1-2011 by withopeneyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ilovecatbinlady

I didn't even know they could seperate the DNA from the egg. I wonder what species could be used to incubate a t-rex...maybe a kimodo?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Great post i remember when this was all in the media the first time around i always wondered what had happened to the idea cheers for the update

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

We have no indication that Neandertals were brutish or barbaric. Sure they were powerfully built, but they also had brains larger than ours.

If anything the archaic humans who probably wiped them out through genocide and forced assimilation, aka rape, were the brutish barbarians.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I have to say that any humanlike being back then, was probably a brutish barbarian....be it sapiens sapiens or older models....
Remember that survival took some doing when faced with mamoths and sabre tooth tigers....The competition was fierce and we still came out on top....which must mean we were pretty damn fierce ourselves.
The possibility exists that these earlier humans were more docile and less warlike.That they succumbed to our onslaughts because they were not into such vicious behavior....keep in mind, they were the elder race and as such may hev been compaitively far more civilised than ourselves.
The idea of creating just one primitive from cloning, is kind of creepy when one thinks of the life of loneliness that we would be giving him/her
The plan for the mamoth too is somewhat flawed if they think to repopulate someplace with mamoths.
Perhaps in a laboratory environment it may work out, but these are very powerful beasts,which may not be compatible with our modern world.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaOtCtKiIcNuGsBIRD

I didn't even know they could seperate the DNA from the egg. I wonder what species could be used to incubate a t-rex...maybe a kimodo?

Maybe an ostrich would be used to grow the Trex egg. The kimodo would be unsuitable because it is a cold blooded reptile.

And you can delete the dna or maybe I mean to say the chromosomes from the egg.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

How many years has it been since Jurasic Park came out? Thats how long I have been hearing that a mamoth or a birdlike dinosaur would be recreated using a chicken or an elephant!!! They're no closer to that today than they were 20 years ago. Current knowledge and understanding about DNA is infantile in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

ahhh true. I was about to argue that trex was coldblooded but I forgot about the whole incubation thing lol.

Idk, im all for the ressurection of extinct species but maybe our resources would be put to better use if we dedicated them to the preservation of the species that are in trouble now. The mammoths died out long before we started effecting the climate and became extinct bc of a natural temp shift. Maybe it was just their time

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Doesn't seem like a good idea.

Mankind spent many years and many lives were lost fighting the Mammoths. Coupled with their brute strength, speed, voracious appetite for human flesh, and the various plagues and viruses it harbored, it could have been man that went extinct.

Nah, I made all that up. But you have to think about these things. Let dead dogs lie.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The curious scientist in me says I can't wait to see how it turns out. However, the practical side of me says this might not be so wise. I agree with others that it might not be such a good idea to bring something back to life in a world it's never known. It didn't live in a world like ours is now. It might be better for it to not come back.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
In the pure interest of science I would welcome the cloning of a Mammoth. Think of all we could learn from it. I don't see the harm of bringing a cloned living mammoth into the world at all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join