It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are living in a dishonest society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Today I was struck with the realization that we are living in a dishonest society. The people that lie succeed, while the people that tell the truth get punished. I see it everyday, and it really makes me ponder what people's ethics and morals are all about. When you were growing up, if you ever came home from a friends house/party drunk/high, what's the first thing you do when you get home? You lied. "Hey son, where were you at tonight?", "Oh, I just went to see a movie Mom and Dad". Why risk getting in trouble, when you could just tell one little lie and be off the hook?

My friend told me a story today that made my blood boil. He recently got into some trouble with the law (Marijuana possession), and he completely understands that he has to face the consequences for his illegal actions, and he is OK with that. So he went in for his evaluation today to determine what the punishment would be, and he was asked a load of questions. He was completely honest about every question, and he told me that he has never done any other drugs besides alcohol and marijuana. His "evaluator" claimed that he was a very troubled person with an addictive personality, and he is way more "extreme" than any other 18 year old. That means one of two things: That either most 18 year olds nowadays are perfect little angels that follow all the rules, or that most 18 year olds nowadays lie profusely. I'm thinking it's the latter. Where did his honesty land him? On Option IV probation, Option VI being the most extreme. I cannot believe that the majority of people walk in there are lie about almost if not all of the questions, and they get off with a simple Option I or Option II diversion at the most extreme.

You're at a job interview, and your boss asks you if you have ever smoked cannabis, even once. There is no way for him to get inside your head and read your memories, so how will he know what you have done in your past? Why risk not getting a job by telling the truth, when you could just tell one little lie, and you'll be off scott free?

What does that tell you about our society? Lie and you will succeed. Sure, some will find flaws in this logic, and rebut that it is totally acceptable to lie in certain situations. Tell your wife she looks good in her new blouse, we all remember telling the disabled kid in gym class that he was doing a great job, when in reality he has missed every basket (No offense whatsoever meant), that's understandable. But a line needs to be drawn. Lying has become a normal thing in society, in fact, the people that do not lie ever are an extreme minority. True, the pathological liar that claims he is friends with Bill Gates and a Harvard graduate will be called out pretty fast for lying, but the occasional lie to keep you out of trouble is no big deal, right? We might as well start teaching our kids how to lie without being caught. Instead of teaching Johnny to ride a bike or woo a lady, why not teach him how to lie to people's faces? He'll most likely use that skill more than most things you do teach him in life.

What do you guys think? Am I just hyper-reactive to certain instances where lying will be better off than telling the truth, or are there even more situations than I can imagine where lying will be best? Feel free to post examples and discuss whether or not you agree with me and why.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

yes i agree with your post and i enjoyed the read
i feel like society has lost its conscience.
or maybe just the angle feel off..

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I agree with you.

But I still have hope for humanity.

Ill tell ya something

Last friday I lost my wallet. I knew where I lost it but it was not there when I went back. I freaked out because my life was in that wallet. My social security card, 64 dollars, all of my qualification cards and license. Well I lost hope in getting it back. I went and got a new license. I knew that someone took it and took the money out and left it somewehere or threw it away...but my worst fear was that someone took my ss and used it for anything.

Few days later I get a letter from the police station saying that my wallet was found by someone. All my money was in it, all of my cards too.

I have a little hope for society after that fiasco.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JayXBraun

Totally. I mean, who can honestly say that they have never told a lie in their life? Very few people, but to those that can, I applaud you. It's weird to think that we are taught while growing up that lying is a bad thing, but the sad reality is that it's just the norm to lie.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by capgirl

Yeah, I actually had an experience just like that. I had a debit card in my hoodie pocket, and while walking out of a CVS I guess it slipped out in the lobby. 15 minutes must have passed after I lost it, and I sped back to the store in a fit of anger, because ALL of the money was on that debit card. It would have been so easy for somebody to steal it and use it. But what happened when I returned to the store? The clerk told me that some lady found it up front and brought it to her. I almost passed out, I was so overwhelmed that there are actually good people that would do something like that. It filled my heart with hope for humanity
, however fruity that may sound

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Not fruity at all lol.

It is good to know there are still a few honest ones out there.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

This is why i only wanted a rubbish job as an adult, i did not want an office job of two faced creeps.

Truth is something people laugh at, but maybe thats why alot of us are here on this board, we want truths not garbage.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I hear you! It's the liars and cheats that finish first nowadays!

In my area, when I get pulled over EVERY SINGLE TIME the cop asks me if there is marijuana in the car and every time I say no and they decide it necessary to search the car. Now this is EVERY TIME. It's insane. Because I'm 23 you feel the need to search my stuff and destroy it in the process? Because I might have a little pot? There are meth labs and crack heads and rapists out there and you are worried about pot????? And to top it off they say if you tell me the truth the punishment wont be so bad but in all honesty it'll be far worse!

Haha the last time my boyfriend and I got pulled over we where bringing a new car home. We traded one Civic for another one that was in better shape, same color but it was newer and had 2 doors rather than 4. So anyway it's like 3 in the morning and low and behold we get pulled over. Now I'm freaking because the car is not insured or registered, we just have the insurance and reg from the other civic. The cop was so concerned about pot that he didn't even realize!!! We got home safe and sound because he was so concerned about arresting us for pot and didn't pay attention to other details.

It's a crazy world we live in, we get punished for telling the truth and awarded for being a liar.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
You are spot on!

I was given the nickname "Honest Abe" by a good friend because I wouldn't lie about something that would have saved us a grand total of about $25. I tried to explain that my personal integrity was more valuable but I guess that concept is one that not all can grasp.

If you look at the current society from the "top" down, you must realize a highly likely reason for living in a dishonest society. Our country is run by politicians and lawyers - both of which are notorious liars for gaining what works best for them. If their lips are moving, they're telling a lie.

You can't expect an honest society when those "running" it are for the most part absolute liars.

I could go into the fact that parents lie to their kids for years about santa, the tooth fairy, easter bunny....but I catch all kinds of hell since I'm the bad parent for never telling a lie about these. Then again, one day my children will realize there is one person who didn't lie about all of that.

A man is only as good as his word.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
id believe you, but im getting used to a dishonest society. i believe the whole post btw

no good deed goes unpunished, wise words to remember.

doesnt that mean its much harder to follow the path of "open palm" (good) than it would be to follow the path of "closed fist

life for you. ppl take the easy way for about everything, lying IS the easy way.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Wow I didn't even think about the Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy example. I guess that one might fall under the "acceptable" category, because it's more a lie about tradition. Still, why can't the tradition be telling the kids that if they stay out of trouble and get good grades, their parents will buy them gifts or candy? Why does it have to be some mystical old man that goes to every child's house in the world in one night and eats all their milk and cookies while delivering gifts?

top topics

join