It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Schools to put Electronic Tags on Students

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Could electronic tags be the new safety measure in Japan? Two Japanese schools in Wakayama Prefecture will coordinate to monitor the students through electronic tags similar to those used on merchandise. Gates will be set up at the school and around dangerous premises to monitor the students' travel to the schools.

Source Yahoo! Asia:

The bureau is planning to request the participation of all students after explaining the initiative to their parents as well as addressing privacy issues.

An official of the Kinki bureau said, "We hope to build a system that helps enhance safety for pupils, when interest (on such an issue) is growing."

While I can see they have a good intent, I disagree with the method in which they are carrying out this initiative. Setting up gates that monitor electronic tags throughout the city can be abused for monitoring the activities of those outside the school. How long do we have to wait until this becomes a landmark program that will be implemented throughout the world? Then used on parolees and in other high-crime areas under the guise of reducing crime. This should be an interesting topic to see how it pans out in other uses.

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Wow. That is lame. I hope that stays in Japan, but I really don't think that type of thing would fly in the U.S. I would hate to be a student who has to wear one of them things. It would be so hard to cut class.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Haha, yea, I was thinkin about that too. The parents also receive real-time tracking. Looks like the days of skipping school are over in that province...

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
The tags are only on the belongings tho
so just ditch the stuff.
but in the flesh would be another thing entirely....

Sh*t cant ditch school!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Ah, just like home-arrest, except not at home and not technically punishment. Yet anoter depressing bit of news in an already bleak world. Makes me glad I'm through with HS and soon to be done with college, the last thing I would want is a tag to keep tabs on me while at school.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I can see why they are getting tagged in Japan of all places. There are so many people there, It would be IMPOSSIBLE to find someone who went missing, or created some sort of problem.

let us wait and see.........

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!! RIP THE SYSTEM!!

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Thankfully im in Canada and don't have to worry about being, "taged". If we had them here I wouldn't be able to do the launch time thing with my girl friends and that would be completely horrid... Amen to Canada!

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Well, businesses already use access control systems like proximity cards to track the movement inside the building.

The place I work even has a lock on the bathrooms to make sure that the men can't go into the women's bathroom... but I have a feeling they also use the data to see when you go to the bathroom and for how long (you have to card out before you leave or you can't get back in).

It's disturbing.

new topics

top topics

join