It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sri Lanka flooding forces more than 300,000 to flee homes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Source

More than 300,000 people have been forced out of their homes by flooding in Sri Lanka, with no sign of a let-up in the torrential rain on the island nation's east coast.

Three more people were killed by mudslides today, bringing the death toll to 21, officials said.

The government's Disaster Management Centre said more than 1 million people had been affected by the rains, with 325,000 made homeless.

Many villages remain cut off from supplies despite a huge relief effort involving tens of thousands of troops, transport helicopters and naval boats.

The deployment is the Sri Lankan military's biggest since the end of the decades-long civil war against Tamil separatist fighters in 2009.

Although senior officers reported that the flow of food to affected areas was going smoothly, senior local military officials reported that nine villages in the Muttur area of the eastern Trincomalee district were still cut off.

These poor people that are experiencing these floods, my heart goes out to them.

All across the world, Australia, Brazil, Sri Lanka etc... are facing hard times ahead.

Again, another story that is not covered by western media and it involves almost half a million people.

People care more about what Brittany Spears does than about the conditions the people are living in. What is so pathetic about that is if something like these happens in America, they think it is the center of the world, and something must be done now. Why do we choose to not give other countries as much media attention?

I'm not too sure...

I had to share this as it is another bad case of flooding going on in the world and people should hear about it.

Any thoughts?

Pred...
edit on 13-1-2011 by predator0187 because: wrong pics

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
First it was multiple bird and fish deaths and now multiple floods, wow. My heart goes out ot all those who are displaced and for all their losses. Grief, Grief, Grief

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
First it was multiple bird and fish deaths and now multiple floods, wow. My heart goes out ot all those who are displaced and for all their losses. Grief, Grief, Grief

Not to be the one but I think the flooding started before the animal die offs. I remember it being briefly talking about on Cnn.com. I don't know if it was actually mentioned on air.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by packinupngoin

There are 3 floods mentioned today, Philippines, this one and Brazil. This is not counting the ones since the New Year. Seems excessive to me. I find it tragic.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
What is it with all the floods ? The three top news stories are floods in Brazil Australia and now Sri Lanka. Is it all due to el nino and completely expected or is something else occurring ?
edit on 13-1-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist

No kidding hey? Seems like it's all at the same time. Everyone is experiencing grief throughout the world. Sad news.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Along with the freak floods the capital city Colombo experienced climate of 18.5 - 24 degrees yesterday. This for a city where the usual temperature is in the 30's ...
Theres possibly more to this weather and whats causing it than what is being revealed.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Both the floods in Sri Lanka and the floods in the Philippines have been ging on since before the New Year.

It just goes to show how financially/politically motivated the MSM really is!!

developing country?? we'll report it when it gets so big we don't have a choice!

new topics

top topics

join