It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil flood deaths rise to 388

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Source

Rescue workers dug desperately for survivors on Thursday and struggled to reach areas cut off by raging floods and landslides that have killed at least 388 people in one of Brazil's worst natural disasters in decades.

Torrents of mud and water set off by heavy rains left a trail of destruction through the mountainous Serrana region near the city of Rio de Janeiro, toppling houses, buckling roads and burying entire families as they slept.

"It's like an earthquake struck some areas," said Jorge Mario, the mayor of the Teresopolis municipal area, where at least 168 people died.

"There are three or four neighborhoods that were totally destroyed in rural areas. There are hardly any houses standing there and all the roads and bridges are destroyed."

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6b789cc7df35.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fe62ef853436.jpg[/atsimg]

Wow, there is some crazy things going on in the world right now. I realize that all these things have happened before in history but they seem to ALL be happening at the same time now.

Had to share this because, well, we do not really hear about this a lot on our media and these things have to be covered. Katrina was a huge deal here and it seems as if the world is having huge problems like this all over the place, yet our media could care less.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this. I realized there's not much attention given to South America here, or maybe it's just me (I'm new).

I saw it on the Brazilian channel yesterday (I'm from Brazil) and this little boy they interviewed said "It looks like the world is ending."

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I've noticed in my short time here on ATS that there is not a tremendous amount of reference to scripture as we look at these types of things, but my mind always seems to revert to the Book upon such revelation. This is, of course, Biblical. Even if you don't prescribe to the words of the Bible, don't believe in its precepts, still, the words do detail these very happenings.

I would love to hear some thoughts on this from both believers and non-believers. Peace...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Thank you for this post. Heartbreaking. I think part of why we are all geting spooked is we live in the information age and all these disasters are bing reported on, at least in here. There was a thread earlier about severe flooding in the Philippines as well.

I know I would not know of half these disasters if not for ATS.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I caught this on the television at the doctors, and it just broke my heart. Thanks for this thread, hopefully people will notice and send prayers and love and help those in need. Its heartbreaking, and with Australia's plight this keeps me thinking, this extreme weather is related to the Gulf Stream maybe, for sure the birds and fish, and even thought the announcer said this happens every year in Brazil, it said online this was the most severe in over 4 decades I believe.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

And that's it, it happens, yes, but not on this sort of scale. It seems this year, in the little it has been has been breaking non stop records. The amount of wildlife that's died off and the amount of floods. The severity seems to be something new.

Maybe people are causing it, everyone can feel the strange feeling in the air, maybe the collective subconscious is making all the negative happen. I don't know, just a thought.

Pred...

top topics

join