It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for the veteran ATS members regarding current trend.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Remember search is your friend as is researching what you want to know.. Search the date say 2005 and read away. Your answer is there.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

I will take the source (veterans of ATS) over re search any day.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Is this something I can prepare for, and if so, what would I do?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Kind of goes with the program, I think. "Something big!" keeps people ramped up and excited. WE (if you will accept the term for people who are drawn here) like mysteries and secrets, We like to think there is more to the world than the mundane we are daily faced with. If sasquatch do exist, if there are aliens, if there is a secret society manipulating events in the darkness, it creates a sense of wanting to no more and also gives us something to live for.

If there are no mysteries, if the atheists and rationalists are correct, and if we don't like watching football, then life can get pretty boring. But here at ATS we can indulge our fantasies and pretend we know what is going on. Insofar as he can express himself, the kid in Mom's basement is equal to a PhD professor at a place where literally anything goes and "Reptilian Gods willl eat your soul" is given equal billing to "Roswell, what really happened?"

Whether you see it as indulgence, wishful thinking, escapism, entertainment, or a place to seek enlightenment and truth, it all amounts to the same thing. ATS is really not going to change the world, and neither are we. Otherwise, we'd be out doing it.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofjacob

been on here since inception and signed on in 04. lost email address and hence re-registered after consulting admin.
i will say this site is perfect for reading between the lines. to me it was the same then as it is now. understandably there are more members now and i sometimes get the feeling some members laud their membership status (i hope i'm not guilty of this!) over newer members and i must admit that when i see a new member post, there is always apprehension with regards to validities. on the whole the threads i have and do read are insightful and occasionally a hoax or an insidious member turns up. however, in my opinion posts that have validity tend to survive whereas dubious claims wither.
regards f

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

What differences do you see now?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

What needs to be done, has already happen - I don't think this is something we can alter or change. Plus, for the record, I DON'T think we are about to witness mass slaughter of the human race by some global political vanguard that marches us off the camps.

It is impossible for us to prepare.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

What needs to be done, has already happen - I don't think this is something we can alter or change. Plus, for the record, I DON'T think we are about to witness mass slaughter of the human race by some global political vanguard that marches us off the camps.

It is impossible for us to prepare.

Do you mainly see this as global political/economic happening? Do you think something is happening environmentally?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Countless events, which will translate into a scenario as the whole planet is out of control - once "chaos" has reigned for a while, a solution will be given to all our problems.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Would you mind giving a time line??? next year? 5 years? How did you prepare yourself mentally?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofjacob

What differences do you see now?

I was thinking about your question. And the one issue that predominantly kept popping up in my mind, is the ATS chatter about all the continuing mass bird fish and wildlife deaths. This, couple with the documentable amping-up of volcanic and earthquake activity, compounds upon mass shooting tragedies. It seems that a LOT of emergency stuff has been coinciding out there in the real world, lately. I will soon turn 52, and in my previous 51 years of being alive, I do not recall the likes of the environmental and political current goings on. Everything appears--------to me, unprecedented. Is that due to instant global full access communication though? Sometimes, all I know, for CERTAIN, is that I love my 2 cats.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I've only been here since 2007, but was lurking for about 18 months prior, so just about fit the 5 year mark. A few years back the hysteria was more on the FEMA camps, the trains, and martial law. People were really freaked that bush was the antichrist, and that the world was going to end soon. As other posters have stated, this is pretty normal for humanity. I think a lot of people here on ATS are going through some sort of crisis, and project their feeling of insecurity.

All the same, something big is coming. Nobody knows when, or exactly what it will be
but we all feel it. The way I think of it now is mostly the same as how I did a decade ago, without the irrational fears of America turning into Nazi Germany!! Basically, the social, financial, and political systems in place no longer work for humanity. There are too many layers which make the system inefficient. Our leaders don't represent us, we don't have enough energy sources to sustain our numbers in the long run based on current available technology, etc etc..

I think what we're experiencing right now is the very beginning of the collapse of modern industrial civilization as we've known it. This doesn't mean we'll descend into anarchy, but chaotic transitional periods are likely to occur as the years roll on. It's certainly not all doom and gloom. We've been through this and much worse in the past! So just do what you can to stay strong and help out your local community is all.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Yours is a very commonsensical post. I agree with it. Well thought out and conveyed.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'm pretty new to ATS but I feel like I was born into something strange, for lack of a better explanation. When I was a kid I supposedly had an imaginary friend that I made my parents look for, for days, after he went away - I don't remember anything about it at all other than what they tell me. I used to have all kinds of really random strange dreams that would wind up happening, but they were never about things going on with the rest of the world, only things that happened to me and my family. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. I swear the house I grew up in as a kid was haunted, I had an experience of my own in my bedroom, and woke up another night to my sister screaming.. only to discover a "poltergeist" in her room. Because of this stuff going on around me, I was always fascinated with the paranormal and unexplained. Back in the 80's when I was a kid in Christian School - my parents made me and my sister go because we were always getting into all kinds of trouble.. I remember sitting together with a group of friends at lunch in our own little "club" and always talking about ghost stories, aliens, and all kinds of other stuff - now that it's over 20 years later I don't even know where half of these people are anymore. (I switched schools 2 times, left Christian School when I moved in 5th grade) I have no clue what the name of them is anymore, but there used to be this entire collection of black books, covering pretty much any strange topic you could think of - growing up I'd go to the library downtown, and check out 5 or more of them at a time, then read them all.

I feel like I'm already going way off topic and turning this into a really long boring story, but after all of this I went thru brain surgery at 17, then went off to college. For a while I pretty much thought I was going to die young from cancer so I "partied my brains out" and stopped spending my time worrying about the paranormal.

Then 9/11 came in 2001, and I stopped caring about college completely... I remember sitting there glued to the TV all day long; when the planes hit the buildings, everyone was just getting up and ready to go off to class. One of my room mates at the time was in the military and Flight 93 pretty much crashed in his back yard. As soon as saw where that plane came down he took off like a bat out of hell and drove nonstop all the way to his house as fast as he could. When he finally got back to the college, we found him out in the living room sitting on the couch by himself crying like crazy - after we got him calmed down enough he told us how he just spent days picking "body parts out of the trees" in his backyard.

Shortly after this I was completely done with college, I spent the next couple years doing nothing but enjoying life. But then reality started to kick in. I soon found myself working all kinds of jobs - some that I liked a lot but didn't take serious, and some that I hated waking up for. Needless to say I didn't spend my time at any one place very long... this led to me getting back into the paranormal. I used to get home from work then stay up all night just so I could watch X-files and The Twilight Zone, whenever I saw something interesting that I never heard of or thought of before I immediately jumped online and read everything I could find about it. This pretty much went on until I got fired from my last job- which I actually took seriously and thought was going to be my career. The place I was at knew it was getting shut down and started firing people one by one for any reason they could; for me, I was hit by a drunk driver one day on my way to work which led to me swearing at a supervisor for writing me up after not being in to work on time... no joke. But none of that even matters anymore, as far as I know the building no longer even exists. From there the only work I could find was temporary jobs thru employment agencies set up by the local government. After doing these for a while, and getting laid off on average every 3 months, I got sick of it.

Now I'm almost 30 years old and stuck living with my crazy parents.. and have no idea where I'll be 10 years from now, and the normal person will just use this against me - but deep down I really do believe the entire world is in for a lot of suprises soon.

The "normal" everyday 30 year old is focused on paying their bills and their families - almost everyone I graduated highschool with is married w/ kids.. but they also don't worry about, realize, or even care that the United States is in debt by over a TRILLION dollars, or that the CEO of whatever company they work for is putting hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars into their pocket every year. That is, of course, assuming they're employed. You'd think with all of the economic problems going on today people would stop pulling out their credit cards every chance they get... but no, they just keep doing it and making the problems that are here bigger. Eventually, the current system will not be able to fix itself anymore; and I don't think it's going to collapse 100 years from now...

I apologize for my long boring post, I hope I didn't go too far off topic.. but hopefully there's at least one other person out there reading this that feels the way I do.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

First, the abstract systems will collapse. Next, will be environmental systems.

Those who have been on ATS for a while realize that giving timelines isn't the best idea. Very few people can accurately give a basic assessment.

So I'm going to be a fool and give you my basic timeline, but do your own homework and see what seems right for you.

Collapse of Dollar, Collapse of US empire: now-2016 or so

Collapse of ecosystems and ability to provide vital necessities for the 2nd and 1st world countries: 5-20 years off

The latter may be prevented IF, people rise up against the abstract social, political, and financial systems in place which don't serve us well. If we come together and allow our brightest minds the chance to offer solutions to our energy & pollution problems, we may not have too much troubles throughout this century.

edit on 13-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
One of the benefits of being familiar with this site for a long time is that you
can find a few canaries in this coal mine of a world we live in on this site.

I wish I had the time to run down some names for you, and in what topic field, and even the ones that cover it all.
I just recognize the names when I see them these days.

...but one name always sticks in my head, and that is "Phage"....if you ever see him panic or believe something, "unusual"....take notice.

You know....maybe I will take the time later and throw you some names that I have come to trust over the years...some of them even have responded to your thread here....I think I remember Benevolent M...something..(I forgot already and don't want to have to rewrite this post going back to check the name...but she has the pretty dog avatar...hmmm? I don't know why I think she is a she and not a he....it has been awhile....good people though, I remember that.

I would not suggest starting a thread about who are, and who aren't the trusted names on this site....it is just a matter of opinion anyway and it will just confuse people and get them into feelings.

I will tell you that I am a 44yr old attorney and lurk way more often than post, and when I post I sometimes flip a coin on which side of an issue I will debate....I did however post this because I too, in the beginning, thought "the next big thing must be coming because so many people were thinking the sky was falling" it has been like this since I have been on this site.

It does take awhile to find some trusted names here.....if you are interested...I probably only have a handful of names, but I will U2U them to you if you want.....and remember...it is just one person's opinion...mine.

((hey..it says I have been a member since 2008!.....I have been around longer than that.)))
edit on 13-1-2011 by Res Ipsa because: I can't believe I have only been a member since 2008....would have guessed 2006

Benevolent Heretic...that was the name.
edit on 13-1-2011 by Res Ipsa because: went back to find BH's name

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Yeah, I lost count of how many times I changed my username and account. Not dramatically, just variations of the same, so thats why I might look extremely bran new too. I had been on and off and on here, and some of my old disclosures, like in 'Below...' I don't want to be affiliated with. As they say in the media, "Thats too much information!" After 4 hours, ya know, you can't edit or delete anymore.
edit on 13-1-2011 by simone50m because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Time2Think

I would like you to consider something that might be hard for you to hear. After 8 years away in th US Air Force, I came back to my parents home, to that same little bedroom I was in, looking out that little window and anticipating the limit of the sky and the adventures that awaited me. I turned 30 yrs old and was like a little dependent who never got myself a boyfriend and husband either. For the next 10 years following, I job hopped and apartment hopped. Then I went homeless and listed as 'missing' for another 5 years after that. I told someone that I had made specific plans to 'take' myself 'out' and allocate the disposition of my remaining effects (belongings). But this person made an ambulance take me to the VA Hospital. A professional psychiatrist medical Doctor diagnosed me, and learned that I have Autism Asperger Syndrome and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. (While I was in the service, I befell a long term situation where, for months, I thought I was going to be executed.)
If your life continues to be the same, no matter how hard you try, consider getting diagnosed, you MIGHT be disabled and eligable for disability retirement.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I have come more and more to the notion that, after all is said and done, there is no "big thing" coming...that my own personal vigil for the next "big thing" is little more than a outcry against my own insignificance.

To expand, the vast majority of us (me included) live lives that are truly "quietly desperate." It's not that we do not have "good" lives, families that care for us, friends that think well of us, etc., it is the somewhat nihilistic notion that we will never be on the cutting edge of a grand disclosure or discovery, that we will most probably never be superman or the next multimillionaire rock star, or the jet pilot, or the astronaut, or the war hero, or the Cassanova (or Cassanovette) that we once, in our youthful narcissism, believed we could be.

To share a few quotes the greatest realist/nihilist of Generation X, Tyler Durden:

“You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake, you are the same organic decaying matter as everything else”

“We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives.”

"We are the middle children of history, raised by television to believe that someday we'll be millionaires and movie stars and rock stars, but we won't. And we're just learning this fact."

Underneath it all, and I really struggle to admit this sometimes, there really is no next big thing. There is no grand conspiracy that we will discover or disclose. There will be no wondrous heavenly disclosure that we will witness. It won't happen.

What will happen is that we will grow older, have fun, be sad, cry, laugh, observe the constant drip of man's hatred (and love) for each other, and then we will die. But maybe that's enough.

End of story.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2

I have come more and more to the notion that, after all is said and done, there is no "big thing" coming...that my own personal vigil for the next "big thing" is little more than a outcry against my own insignificance.

To expand, the vast majority of us (me included) live lives that are truly "quietly desperate." It's not that we do not have "good" lives, families that care for us, friends that think well of us, etc., it is the somewhat nihilistic notion that we will never be on the cutting edge of a grand disclosure or discovery, that we will most probably never be superman or the next multimillionaire rock star, or the jet pilot, or the astronaut, or the war hero, or the Cassanova (or Cassanovette) that we once, in our youthful narcissism, believed we could be.

To share a few quotes the greatest realist/nihilist of Generation X, Tyler Durden:

“You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake, you are the same organic decaying matter as everything else”

“We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives.”

"We are the middle children of history, raised by television to believe that someday we'll be millionaires and movie stars and rock stars, but we won't. And we're just learning this fact."

Underneath it all, and I really struggle to admit this sometimes, there really is no next big thing. There is no grand conspiracy that we will discover or disclose. There will be no wondrous heavenly disclosure that we will witness. It won't happen.

What will happen is that we will grow older, have fun, be sad, cry, laugh, observe the constant drip of man's hatred (and love) for each other, and then we will die. But maybe that's enough.

End of story.

That was really well written. thank you for sharing. But, doesn't part of your spirit/soul say something different? or want or know something else? Is that enough for you? And if it truly is doesn't that tiny tiny bit of hope persist that it isn't so? It's just so sad.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join