It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ophiuchus, the 13th Zodiac Sign

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
this is lame because I am no longer a scorpio and I have a huge scorpio sign tattoo on my back so now if im not a scorpio then its just another stupid tattoo that doesn't even stand for anything so I think that I will stay a scorpio especiallly since my horiscope has never been wrong about me or the way I am

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by belowabovetopsecret

don't worry...

according to the Ptolemy fixed astrology of the past 2000 years, you are in fact still a scorpio

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere
[mor well ive always wondered why the taurus horoscope seemed to match me better than gemini did, I guess this is why then. but i will still always claim gemini since it was what i was raised as.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by kalisdad
reply to post by Sly1one

the fact that Ophiuchus is present in Stellarium and many astrological maps is proof that its been around many many years

and the tracking of the sunrise in Stellarium shows its been a birthsign for just as long

it was removed for many reasons (even number signs per months per seasons, unlucky number, etc..)

I'm still trying to figure out why they are making a big deal about it though... anyone who truely understands astrology knows that what most people believe is their birthsign based on static dates is not true.

I have little interest in astrology, and I have been aware of Ophiuchus for years. why is this mainstream news??

I stated early on that I also have no astrological inclination. But to your questions why this and why now? My guess is that shuffling the cards on superstitious sheeple makes somebody some cash. We've got economic hard times and people are wanting to be led. They look to religion, politics and the media for answers and so there are some that will look to the stars. And.... there are those that will prey on those in search of guidance. I don't think there's any great mystery, just timing. Like releasing the next iPhone.

If this breaks out into a big bucks marketing, don't be surprised if in a short time someone adds new constellations into the mix. More variety, more individuality, what's to stop it? Designer constellations.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
The greater question here is, is our planet now traveling in a whole new sky? What happened? I did read some channeled materials before and they were saying that our scientists are baffled at what is happening in our sky because what they see in the sky is different now. This is the confirmation of those channeled materials that we are indeed traveling in a whole new sky now.

The times of change is indeed upon us.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

Yes, an unfortunate wording was the case, but it was a good opportunity for a brief etymological analysis. By the way, it is interesting to note that the Rod of Asclepius does have a serpent going upwards around it hence the connection between Asclepius (god of medicine) and the designation "ophiuchus".

Fortunately, I still remain a Virgo. I was born at the end of the sign (18th of September) and now I am at the beginning of it.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Is Ophiuchus the 13th sign?
No. It’s just a constellation. Even the founding text for Astrology (Tetrabiblos by Claudius Ptolemy written 170 AD only mentions 12 signs.) A few astrologers who practice the controversial sidereal (consellation-based) zodiac use it as the 13th zodiacal sign – and by a few we mean about 1 percent.

Do not worry about the "NEW" zodiac sign.
It only applies to you if you follow Eastern Astrology, Sidereal Astrology
People forget there are various branches of astrology. Most people in Western Culture follow the Zodiac astrology which follows the constellation of the sun and moon. Sidereal astrology follows the constellation of the stars

“Ophiuchus has nothing to do with Astrology,” said expert astrologer Rick Levine. “It’s not an Astrology issue. It has to do with the stars -- it’s not a sign, it’s a constellation.”

www.dailyhoroscope.com...

It's been said that technically Ophiuchus the #13sign has been there all along. I've read that astrologers just don't use it because A) It'll mess up the triplicities and quadrupil...it.ties... (the elements: fire, air, water, earth; and the qualities: cardinal, fixed and mutable). B) It only lasts for 19 days, C) A thirteenth sign would mean there would have to be 13 houses in the Birth Chart, and D) We're already accustomed to the "original" 12 zodiac signs.

zodiacfacts.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Dammit, i've gone from capricorn to Ophiuchus... And it's quite funny my girlfriend is now an Ophiuchus (was sagittarius). Good job I don't believe in astrology...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaskade
You realize this only affects people born AFTER 2009...
read...

There is no reason that this should of ever not been in affect.

The whole 2009 thing has no basis what so ever.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hemisphere

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
reply to post by Allred5923

I explained how this blunder occurred about 2000 years ago when man 'fixed' the wheel and made a 'wheel' that did not truly represent the observable sky.

I have been working for a couple years now to bring back...the practice of how the ancient people did use the sky. They used what could really be observed. If the Moon was in Leo...they surely did not say it was in Virgo due to a old position or fixed wheel. They observed and then used that observation for reflection with astrological understanding.

LV, is it possible that the signs were reduced for "standardization" at some point? 12 months, 12 signs, 4 seasons and such? (Mythos' post touched on this.) All relating to the 365 day calendar. And of course that needs correction beyond the leap year at times. What I'm asking was this for simplicity sake or was there something sinister behind dropping the 13th sign?

Secondly, would you indulge me and the other posters. December 5, 1957. This is my birth date. I was a Sagittarius and am now Ophiuchus. What has changed for me? Keep in mind I'm not into astrology, I did not know what attributes a Sagittarius would have as opposed to another sign. Perhaps that is for the best as I would have had incorrect expectations for myself. What can you tell us?

As another poster commented on it strange that it seems to being 'pushed now'....I too find ironic.

I personally started pushing this whole idea myself, because I find 'truth' to be nice.

The Sun was defiantly in Ophiuchus at your birth. I call this sign the sign of choice. Live more for the animal side or the man side. Control the animal or release it and cause chaos. But its a deeper path to seek what it means for you, within you.

What I like about Sagittarius and Ophiuchus...is they both, if you stood facing them in the night sky...you stand facing the direction of the galactic center.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Someone may have mentioned this already, but if the Sun travels through the sign of Ophiuchus in 19 days rather than a full calendar month then it would comprise only those 19 days and not shove Sagittarius forward or Scorpio backward. That would be like trying to stretch out the year to accommodate rather than shorten what actually is Shorter!

There are several things that are going on.

First, Ophiuchus does fill up some days that otherwise were being dedicated to another sign.

But second....over time the Earth wobbles...so the Sun does not always represent the same sign at the same time of year.

Example of this is Im born on August 30 1975. If I was born 2000 years ago, the Sun would of sat in Virgo (hence, with the fixed wheel, astrology tells me Im a Virgo). But as the wobble of the Earth allows the Sun to seem to move 1 degree through the elliptic path every 72 years....the positions change from Earths perspective over time.....SO....in 1975, on Aug. 30...the Sun did not sit in Virgo as it once did but it sat in Leo.

Third...all the constellations do not share the same space as astrology has led them to do. Example, we see the Sun is only in Scorpio for about a week. But some signs really take up several weeks with the Sun.

Over time...the dates for the Sun within signs will change again. This is how we 'change the ages'

On the Spring Equinox, the Sun sits in Pisces right now. Its moving slowly out of Pisces though for this date. IN about 600 years...on March 21...the Sun will rise in Aquarius and then we can literally say that we are in a new age.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaythai92
You guys unless you were born this year your still your sign. The moment you were born the sun and moon were in a certain spot this new constellation doesn't affect our past it only affects the present.

I really can not stress enough or get this out there enough.....there is absolutely no reason that this should just now take effect. This is just a way to cover their arses.

Anyone can download a astronomy program like Stellarium and look for their self.

There is no reason at all that this does not effect everyones birth day. 80% of peoples signs are not what they think...the other 20% will be a 'true sign' according to astronomy and astrology.

The dates for the Sun in signs has changed 80%. This is nothing new and nothing that should just now take effect.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by wavemaker
The greater question here is, is our planet now traveling in a whole new sky? What happened? I did read some channeled materials before and they were saying that our scientists are baffled at what is happening in our sky because what they see in the sky is different now. This is the confirmation of those channeled materials that we are indeed traveling in a whole new sky now.

The times of change is indeed upon us.

Not really...its all predictable.

We wobble...we change north stars throughout a 'great year' (26,000 years). As we wobble, the Sun seems to move 1 degree every 72 years through the signs...causing new dates for the sun in the signs.

Its not a new sky....its just Earth has been in a new perspective to the sky for a long time now and man is just catching up to that.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vinniejster
Is Ophiuchus the 13th sign?
No. It’s just a constellation. Even the founding text for Astrology (Tetrabiblos by Claudius Ptolemy written 170 AD only mentions 12 signs.) A few astrologers who practice the controversial sidereal (consellation-based) zodiac use it as the 13th zodiacal sign – and by a few we mean about 1 percent.

Do not worry about the "NEW" zodiac sign.
It only applies to you if you follow Eastern Astrology, Sidereal Astrology
People forget there are various branches of astrology. Most people in Western Culture follow the Zodiac astrology which follows the constellation of the sun and moon. Sidereal astrology follows the constellation of the stars

“Ophiuchus has nothing to do with Astrology,” said expert astrologer Rick Levine. “It’s not an Astrology issue. It has to do with the stars -- it’s not a sign, it’s a constellation.”

www.dailyhoroscope.com...

It's been said that technically Ophiuchus the #13sign has been there all along. I've read that astrologers just don't use it because A) It'll mess up the triplicities and quadrupil...it.ties... (the elements: fire, air, water, earth; and the qualities: cardinal, fixed and mutable). B) It only lasts for 19 days, C) A thirteenth sign would mean there would have to be 13 houses in the Birth Chart, and D) We're already accustomed to the "original" 12 zodiac signs.

zodiacfacts.blogspot.com...

Eastern astrology is much more accurate then western astrology.

Man can choose to acknowledge things change...or will stay in their comfort zones.

Western Astrology has many failures.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

The Sun was defiantly in Ophiuchus at your birth. I call this sign the sign of choice. Live more for the animal side or the man side. Control the animal or release it and cause chaos. But its a deeper path to seek what it means for you, within you.

What I like about Sagittarius and Ophiuchus...is they both, if you stood facing them in the night sky...you stand facing the direction of the galactic center.

It would seem the best of all possible celestial positions. And so if I interpret correctly, I will be forever in a personal tug of war between intellect and instinct. Is keeping both in check the ultimate goal of the "healer"? This seems the battle for all of humanity, intellect vs instinct.

Thanks for the indulgence LV!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

We've also seen depictions of St. Patrick and his staff chasing the snakes out of Ireland. Is this also a parallel to Moses and Ophiuchus?

Snakes are always assumed to be "the bad guys" and sometimes they are. But in the case of St. Patrick, this is a story of domination by might...convert or die...quell the opposition. Who were the snakes? It is supposed that the snakes represent the Pelagians. And why did the Catholic church find the Pelagian "heresy" such a threat?

It is the belief that original sin did not taint human nature and that mortal will is still capable of choosing good or evil without special Divine aid. ... Pelagius taught that moral perfection was attainable in this life without the assistance of divine grace through human free will.
en.wikipedia.org...

If people could not be convinced to believe that they needed the instruction and absolution of the church, there would be no big business for the "divine pageantry".

We also see the "snake" as an opposing force to any dominant power today in similar LOGOS. Sometimes it is a matter of those who "call good evil and call evil good". Could it be that good has been vilified in the serpent persona? In this image, once again we see a bloodthirsty ultimatum to outsiders--- to conform or be killed. In other words...do it voluntarily or you will be forced to do it anyway!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Greensage

Someone may have mentioned this already, but if the Sun travels through the sign of Ophiuchus in 19 days rather than a full calendar month then it would comprise only those 19 days and not shove Sagittarius forward or Scorpio backward. That would be like trying to stretch out the year to accommodate rather than shorten what actually is Shorter!

There are several things that are going on.

First, Ophiuchus does fill up some days that otherwise were being dedicated to another sign.

But second....over time the Earth wobbles...so the Sun does not always represent the same sign at the same time of year.

Example of this is Im born on August 30 1975. If I was born 2000 years ago, the Sun would of sat in Virgo (hence, with the fixed wheel, astrology tells me Im a Virgo). But as the wobble of the Earth allows the Sun to seem to move 1 degree through the elliptic path every 72 years....the positions change from Earths perspective over time.....SO....in 1975, on Aug. 30...the Sun did not sit in Virgo as it once did but it sat in Leo.

Third...all the constellations do not share the same space as astrology has led them to do. Example, we see the Sun is only in Scorpio for about a week. But some signs really take up several weeks with the Sun.

Over time...the dates for the Sun within signs will change again. This is how we 'change the ages'

On the Spring Equinox, the Sun sits in Pisces right now. Its moving slowly out of Pisces though for this date. IN about 600 years...on March 21...the Sun will rise in Aquarius and then we can literally say that we are in a new age.

LeoVrigo, your Sun is at about 13 and a half degrees Sidereal Cancer.

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SeaWind

Sidereal has its own mistakes....

The Sun would of been seen in Leo at my birth...going by true observation, true solar positions.

And just looked into what you said...I dont think that is right even on sidereal. I dont see tropical Virgo over lapping into Cancer at all.

But thanks for the thought!
LV

edit on 15-1-2011 by LeoVirgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

It would seem the best of all possible celestial positions. And so if I interpret correctly, I will be forever in a personal tug of war between intellect and instinct. Is keeping both in check the ultimate goal of the "healer"? This seems the battle for all of humanity, intellect vs instinct.

Thanks for the indulgence LV!

You bring up a very deep point that I would like to further on.

'All of humanity'.

We are all of all the signs. We can take leaps in life...by going through them and seeing and facing what we need to work on. I know people like to keep to one sign....but we should not limit ourselves when on the deeper less traveled path. If people thing they are ready for leaps...look through all the signs...find what you need to work on and be honest about it within your self. Honesty within, is very important when wanting to 'leap' instead of just step by step.

Some need step by step though.

I find it no happenstance that the world (western world especially) had been led with the modern tropical zodiac...and that now, it comes forth with 'new information' so to say. This information can offer catalysts for many people! Those wishing to stay in a comfort zone will...those ready to consider this is all meant to be, finding out right now about this is meant to be....for a reason. Catalysts offer us opportunities. There may be things we have refused to face or work on our whole life...but if your honest and you really look at it all, something is waiting in that mirror for you to look into.

Those ready, will explore.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I have been hearing this a lot recently. who made this decision? I was unaware of a ruling council of astrologers. or do they have committees like the ones who told us not to think of pluto as a planet anymore?

I am not much of an astrologer, I admit, but i have studied what info I could find in the past. It seems to me that the people in the past who first noticed these things and wrote them down used what was in their sky at the time. some even seemed to know that with time the time keeper they were using would be off. others used different star clusters as time keepers but they all wrote basically the same thing.

so i could see how if you think the sun actually rising in a cluster of stars shines some kind of magical energy down how this might be an issue, but I believe its more of an earth based thing and the ancients used the stars to mark their times. Today we use their writings. i think you could double the number or signs and write a bunch of new books to sell, but the basic info would be exactly the same.

Has anyone found how this was supposed to be news yet? every article i read or blurb on the evening news mentions it, but doesn't actually say anything. almost like they are trying to say "if you believe in this stuff look how wrong you are." can astrologers now be sued for not using the new updated zodiac as issued by the fed or something? or is someone just trying to sell a new book? there have been books and articles out before tho without completly taking over the media.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join