It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to get a flouride filter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This is the one i've been looking at: cart.berkeyfilters.com...

You get the filtration system + a free filter of your choice (which I would select the PF-2 flouride filter) at 200 bucks with free shipping. Does anyone know of any more effective devices that would cost less or is better in your opinion? Let me know..thanks.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The berkey filter seems like a good one. I just purchased a reverse osmosis system, but have yet to get it installed. I would only recommend a high quality filter like the one you mentioned, which specifically states it takes out chlorine, fluoride, heavy metals, and PCB's. RO is generally a good way to go. The only thing I don't like is that it wastes a bit of water processing it through.
edit on 13-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
You can get a reverse osmosis system for under the sink for about that.

That way your filtering is just about automatic. You dont have to dump buckets into it like the berkey and take from it likes it a office water cooler.

Are you sure you have fluoride in your water?

I was about to invest in an under the sink reverse osmosis system myself then I checked the public works and where I moved to doesnt add fluoride to the water.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This Berkeley unit not for everyday use, too slow since it processes by gravity instead of using the online water pressure. Flow rate reduces over time to natural clogging.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Is there such a thing as a Fluoride filter? I'm not sure about my local water supply (Edinburgh, Scotland) but I have this sneeking suspicion that even if they say that there is no Fluoride in the water, they have also lied about many things like expense claims etc so it's not beyond their realm of thought. Does anyone know how to test the water ourselves for Fluoride?

Reverse Osmosis I have been told by an Engineer in the Royal Navy is way too expensive for a long term solution, we need to start looking for a natural or chemical nemesis of Fluoride to see if it will sort of 'cancel' it out.

Any suggestions?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
H I am also investigating a reverse osmosis system. I thought I was doing my children justice by boiling the water until I learned that I am just concentrating fluoride. They all look the same to me, how do I know which one is right? It is the same overwhelmed feeling I get when I attempt to buy cold medicine. Can anyone recommend one they have purchased? What is the output? How often does the filter need to be replaced? What contaminants does it syphon out? How long is the warranty? Like I said too many questions, too may choices. Any suggestions?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Socio

I just purchased one and made sure it specifically stated to filter out fluoride. Basically, the true RO is pretty much the same with most systems. It's just that there are 3 or 4 or 5 stage systems. This just refers to the amount of filters in place. The filter replacement times depend on the size of the cartridges and how many gallons you go through in a given period of time. It doesn't seem to be too much more than brita, overall. Maybe you need to purchase $90 worth of cartridges a year instead of $40. The only other factor I'm aware of is the storage tank. There is a limit to how much can be filtered per day based on the size of tank. Just make sure the tank you get can supply your household with enough fresh water. I think the system I got was around $260 for a 4 stage kit.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that. After I get it installed soon I may be able to tell you more about the specifics. I kind of feel like I might not understand the physics of the unit 100% just yet, so forgive me if I said something incorrect.
edit on 13-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

SM2

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reverse osmosis is not all that expensive. The long term costs depend on the unit and the supply water quality.
I have a 6 stage system that I purchased specifically for a reef aquarium, and while I was at it, I added a 6th stage and a drinking water kit which included a faucet and a storage tank. The system will produce 75 gallons per day and has a 4 gallon storage tank connected to an air gap faucet so I always have water on demand. The entire system was around $250. You can get one cheaper as I went with one with a de ionizer for my reef tank. The filter replacement costs really depend on your supply water quality. All of the stages with the exception of the actual RO membrane are cheap. A kit to replace all of my filter is about $60 (for 2 sediment filters, a membrane, de ionizer resin , and 2 carbon blocks) Most of the ones you get from big box stores or other outlets (unless you go whole home systems) have a significantly lower gallon per day rating, typically around 25. If you are on city water and rates are high, it could get expensive as you process 3-5 gallons to achieve 1 gallon of filtered. The slower the gallon per day rating, generally the more waste water.

The one I have removes pharmaceuticals, pesticides, heavy metals, etc. Not all of them will remove pharmaceuticals and pesticides, another reason I went with one designed for a reef aquarium, higher quality membranes. I used a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter on my city water, it read 190 ppm after the RO it read 2 ppm, after the De Ionizer, it read 0. However, you can not drink or cook with de ionized water as it will leech the minerals from your body and cause some serious bad stuff to happen, unless you re mineralize it.

The system took me about 30 minutes to install and has an automatic turn off valve on it as well. That way, if i grab a glass of water, the unit will fill the tank back up then turn itself off. The entire system is under my sink and leaves plenty of room in the cabinet for other things that normally live under a sink
edit on 13-1-2011 by SM2 because: edit to add info

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Thank you this is all helpful information. Yeah my city adds a lot of lead and other harmful agents to our water. So this is worth the money. Thanks again.

new topics

top topics

join