It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My take on the President's Speech in Tucson last night

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron

Originally posted by beezzer
I honestly think that he is out of his league with this job. It's like putting a three year old in charge of an underwater demolition team. He just doesn't know what to do. It's all about gain, personal and governmental with him. He sees people, regular people as an annoyance, an affront to what he wants to do.

That is a BOLD statement considering which President he replaced.

Who are you talking about again?

Khar

You are free to disagree, but that is my take on Obama. Want to start a bash-Bush thread, feel free.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

He speaks well. What he speaks is another matter altogether.

And what he speaks, well, for the subject matter of this thread...I ask again, why are you here? This thread is about, as the title suggests, a take on last nights speech in Tuscon.

See, there was a tragedy a few days back...some gunman went in and shot up a place. Last night, a nearby university held an event where many speakers and representatives came to deliver a ...oh hell, nevermind.

Point being, this thread is about last nights presidental speech about the event and how it related to the specific events...your being general..why not start bringing up birther arguments and how he may have done some coke at university...its all equally inapproprate for the specifics.

I apologize Captain Angry. I didn't see the Patronizing cape. I didn't realize opinions were an affront here.

MY point being, that he is uncomfortable with issues that pertain to real people.
This is no different.

But please, snark some more.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I apologize Captain Angry. I didn't see the Patronizing cape. I didn't realize opinions were an affront here.

Its actually Admiral Rage...I started as Captain Angry long ago..cape and all. I have gotten promotions since. Do keep up

MY point being, that he is uncomfortable with issues that pertain to real people.
This is no different.

He seems to shine in such events actually. Polls will back me up on that viewpoint, Meh, you can't please everyone. I personally find more in common with a man whom is holding back tears in public verses being a basketcase of emotions, however, both types of people exist. I see someone like Beohner whom cries at the drop of a hat to be very out of touch with someone like me, but I know I am not a representation of every single person in the US. "real people"...what is a real person in your mind..that is completely subjective. I say the higher the IQ, the more real they are...because the faster their brain processes sensations, therefore the more alert to life they are. Someone in a vegetative state is pretty much out of reality, someone bordering on a 200 IQ is more real than any of us, etc...however, thats my subjective viewpoint which is no more or less valid than anyone elses.
Perspective on the subjective is needed for a bit of humility

But please, snark some more.

-snarks-

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
For those of you who may have missed the Obama speech last night and are afraid to post, here's the transcript
Link. . .
www.nowpublic.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Now THAT'S funny!

I know where you stand on the issue now. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
While, I have a poor taste in my mouth for the POTUS and his politics I have to say he was required by virtue of his office to say something.

I admit, initially I didn’t even listen to the speech; I was in the barn and have radio out there but no TV.

It did preempt my local talk show, which I guess was the program mangers decision so I listened for about 60 seconds or so.

Just long enough for the introductory speaker who’s description of himself was I think “Son of a Mexican Mother, and descended from a Yaqui Indian who came to this valley to escape the genocide in Mexico.

He described how he was going to give a traditional invocation, which is where I tuned out….

It was clear to me that the whole thing was going to be a set-up to advance a political agenda – since basically the first speaker is touching on the glory of immigration in America.

That coupled with the “traditional ways” issue with having an Indian Medicine Man give the invocation when likely a fraction of a percent of the population shares that belief and I am quite certain none of the dead or injured do. Isn’t it supposed to be about the victims?

Instead it is making the “Look how inclusive and tolerant we can be, see – we are good people”, message from the spin masters at the DNC and White House. Clearly, they were reaching out the the open borders crowd.

After reading some of the threads – I watched the spectacle on line. I call it a spectacle on purpose because after watching it that’s exactly what it was….

To be fair, (right wingers doing the same) it reminded me a lot of the Pat Tillman funeral that at which Senator McCain and his people not only inserted their religious beliefs (diametrically opposed to that of the deceased BTW who was a devout atheist) and political spin into the event.

No one could have said it better than his brother, who after McCain got done talking about how Pat was now with god got-up there drunk and said Pat didn’t believe in that crap and was “just ****dead”!

The event was not about Pat Tillman at all just a chance to get some face time for the Politicians.

So was the tone set Barry’s fault or his handlers or the audience itself who in their adulation for one of the most charismatic President’s in recent history lost sight of the fact the event wasn’t about him or his gracing them at it but the victims?

As the leader I would say he bears the majority of the responsiblity in part because he had the ability to set the tone.

If he would have after the first set of applause, which clearly was long, and loud and for him rather than the victims, said something like:

“While I appreciate your applause this is not about me – it’s not a political rally let’s respect the solemnity of the event please. “

Perhaps the event would have stayed on tone. Who knows, I say as far as the content of the speech went and his delivery it was what I expected from a POTUS.

However, the decision to use the event to push the “let’s all get along” and “stop the division” might have meant something if he would have copped to some of the statements the OP listed above as poor judgment on his part along with a promise to tone his rhetoric to set the example as well.

Had he done that I would have taken him to be sincere – instead he came off as smug and hypocritical –using the tragedy to gain political advantage…it is just my opinion of course.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron

I honestly think that he is out of his league with this job. It's like putting a three year old in charge of an underwater demolition team. He just doesn't know what to do. It's all about gain, personal and governmental with him. He sees people, regular people as an annoyance, an affront to what he wants to do.

That is a BOLD statement considering which President he replaced.

Who are you talking about again?

Khar

You are free to disagree, but that is my take on Obama. Want to start a bash-Bush thread, feel free.

Business as usual ...

2nd

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Oh that's what this is, a bash-Obama thread?

Ok have fun, bye!

edit on 13-1-2011 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Opinions are what they are. Opinions. If there are those that disagree, you are welcome to do so. I was under the assumption that this site was for the free flow of ideas and not a high school locker room where only the bigger group was "right".
I never take things personally and enjoy the riposte from some.

Obama is a polarizing figure, though. His policies, his actions speak louder than any teleprompted speech could. Those that worship him come to rabid defense. Those that disagree with him, are also equally vitriolic in their attacks. Such is the face of American politics. I don't judge a person based on a sngle speech, a sngle presentation, I tend to look at the "whole".
People (warning, another opinion) look to see how THEY can benefit from any political leader. It may not divide the camps into traditional left/right but it does divide those that can benefit from that leader and those that won't.

So sides have been chosen, lines have been drawn. And as far as opinions go, mine still stands.
Peace.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

"I gave you some...but come on now, who are we fooling...your not looking for insight, you get that from a fringe mindset that fuels misery..your looking for like minded hate monkeys and a troll war.

Enjoy your day "

I am neither a "monkey" nor am I filled with "hate".....if you can't keep your argument free from insults then you are the one lacking intelligence or civility.

Please, enjoy your day : )

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37

"I gave you some...but come on now, who are we fooling...your not looking for insight, you get that from a fringe mindset that fuels misery..your looking for like minded hate monkeys and a troll war.

Enjoy your day "

I am neither a "monkey" nor am I filled with "hate".....if you can't keep your argument free from insults then you are the one lacking intelligence or civility.

Please, enjoy your day : )

The "hate monkey" is just a visual of someone flinging poo at each other..the poo being hate in this case..and they fling it because its perhaps fun.

Granted, it is not a very good visual..my apologys, I meant no insult by it, but can see how it is taken as insulting. Not the first time I have used guised uncivil behavior, won't be the last, thanks for calling me out on that. I will work to improve.

but I do see you deciding to take the worst view on things. See a rainbow and state it is a universal liberal plot to make the world gay type angle verses simply look at a rainbow and enjoy the colors...but I guess with everything, there needs to be someone suggesting we not get enamored with anything unquestioningly.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

You are making some real judgement calls on my motive and character.

I simply pointed out facts, examples of the President's own "hate speech" and "violent" language that he has used in the past.

I have neither made a judgement call on you, only pointing out that the words you yourself use to debate me are also not in the spirit of what the President was calling for last night in his speech.

It is clear you are a supporter of the President, and believe it or not I am too. But my respect and support is to the office of the President first and not to the man who sits in the oval office.

We have had far too many unqualified occupants in years gone by and untill President Obama proves his intentions, listens to the people, and stops using situations like this one to simply score political points...then my respect for him personally will be thin while my respect to the office of the President of the United States remains strong.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What bothered me the most about his speech was when he said "Christina Taylor Green" he actually paused in anticipation of applause. I agree with you there was way too much cheering and clapping for such a somber event. From what I understand Obama has been waiting for a new PR campaign anyway. I see this as a diversion and the MSM and Govt. are gonna suck this one dry.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join