It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada censors Dire Strait song over one word

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Brothers In Arms is one of my favourite albums, and I always loved singing "that little faggot" out loud when they played "Money for Nothing" on the radio. Why are we accommodating the hyper-sensitive? What's the program, here? No more freedom of expression?

I WANT MY MTV!!
edit on 13-1-2011 by Darce because: two m's

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This guy sums it up really well and funny as can be with it.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I really have to laugh being Canadian and all. Wasn't it the United States that banned The Rodeo Song ( Garry Lee and Showdown, written by Gaye Delorme ). Great fun!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
ROFL.

Next thing you know, they're gonna ban the song "Our hearts were young and gay", or Katy Perrys "You're so Gay" or the Avenue Q soundtrack song "If you were gay" or Electric Six's "Gay Bar"....
Grow up, people. All of ya with such sensitive skin. If you're confident in WHO and WHAT you are, does it really matter what others say? I recall back in the day when "I'm not going to read that story, it's totally gay" Or "Like I'm buying that shirt. It's soooooo gay." or "I can't go out with Jim tonight. My parents are totally gay." "Doing chores is gay." When gay meant retarded which also meant stupid. "That's such a retarded song". I still say that all the time and don't think twice for it. I hate math cuz it's gay. End of story. Math can't be homosexual, and it sure doesn't have any chromosomes missing so as the other definitions go, Math is retarded and gay and I hate it. nods.

Seriously. People make way too much trouble out of nothing. NOTHING.
I'm going to go now, make my way to the woods, cut down a faggot of wood while smoking a fag and then go back inside, heat up some hot cocoa and have a great evening, singing songs and being bright and gay with my family.

gay = happy in this definition.
fag = UK cigarette.

'nuff said.
And you know I've been on here long enough that I'm not usually an outright jerk. But this has gone a bit too far.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Don't forget the "Flintstones". "We'll have a gay 'ol time" censoring that too.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

Thank you so much for that awesome video. The funny thing is, it makes too much sense to be accepted by alot of people. And I have to agree, I'm offended by boy bands as well. Star for you.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter
reply to post by sarra1833

Don't forget the "Flintstones". "We'll have a gay 'ol time" censoring that too.

Ummm. That phrase in actually in context... (Good ol time)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by PsychNurse

Clearly you have not read the lyrics and understood the meaning in context. CONTEXT MATTERS! This is obviously a song which lampoons bigotry!! In the words of the great Charles Addler: " How do we kill a cockroach if we don't shine a light on it?" The lyrics in this song bring to light the way bigots speak. It made sense 26 years ago and it makes sense now.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone remember the P.M.R.C. hearings? How about the resultant aftermath?

Censorship doesn't work and is always wrong.
edit on 14-1-2011 by traditionaldrummer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

It's still alive and kicking on youtube

follow the link, spoke too soon

edit on 14-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Progressives/Liberals are afraid of anything that might make them feel offended, inferior, inconvenienced. You think this is bad you should have seen what they did to the folks in Russia.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

Your looking for it... that's such a big stretch.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join