It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Great Speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Many here on ATS know that I'm no fan of Obama and his policies.

That said, I want to publicly say that I thought his speech last night at the AZ memorial was great and exactly what this country needed to hear from the president at this time. I will also say that I though this speech was Obama's finest (that I've heard) since coming on the political scene, and that it was right up there with speeches such as those given by Reagan after the Challenger disaster, Clinton after the OKC bombing, and Bush to Congress after 9/11. Those were all uniting speeches, not dividing, and again, just what the country needed at each time.

I especially liked how he did not shy away from the topic of the vicious things that have been said and basically told everyone to knock it off, to stop blaming anyone but the shooter for what has happened.

Many of us have become quite polarized here on ATS. What better time than now to heed president Obama's words and knock it off?

edit on 1/13/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

It's nice to see we can agree on something...and that you in fact can approve of some of Obama's actions.

Hopefully people will heed his words and we can get back to debating issues without and instead of attacking character.

I have seen many republicans communicate the same sentiment as Obama did about knocking off the vitriol and getting back to governing about the issues. Kudos to them as well.

It's sad that it had to take a tragic event like this to open all of our eyes (yes...I can admit I have done my fair share of non-issue silly rhetoric).

Let's move on and work on the country together...instead of fighting with each other while it declines.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I am reticent to say this, due to our history of discussion. And I am almost beside myself with disbelief that I am typing these words.

But...

Here, here centurion1211. I wholeheartedly agree with everything that you said! S&F.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
S&F

Centurion

I agree that we should drop the polarization. In fact, the day before this tragedy, I created a thread asking for ATSers to stop the nonsense. Our country is in bad shape right now and now is the time to put petty differences aside and come together in an attempt to get it back on track.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Yes his speech was one of a true stateman. Now we can get back politics as opposed to huffing Rhetoric. I hope the country will benefit and the loons relax abit.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I may not be the most active member of ATS, but i can say that i do recall when you joined centurion1211. You and I have never seen eye to eye politically (and hey, that's fine) - but i have to say that it's very big of you to stand up and say this.

A lesser man would have remained silent or found SOMETHING to nitpick.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
His speech was good. I just wish the behavior of the people attending was better. I wonder if they listened. I hope so. Both the left and right, the media and the politicians both, are very guilty of being irresponsible and of spewing their partisan crap regardless of the facts.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The speech was a political ploy, a power play, I'm not going to say it was a great speech. He did not even write it.. The morons in the crowd were clapping like this was some political rally.. Someone in Obama's counsel said *Never let a good crisis go to waste*... This was what they were obviously doing, not letting this crisis go to waste.. Power play and disgusting behavior from Obama.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Great thread!

It's extremely refreshing to see ppl put aside their political ideology, whatever their beliefs, in an attempt to pull us all together in a sense. It's very easy to forget that we're all Americans and we're all ppl first. Before anything else we are ppl in search of a good life. Thank you for the encouragement.

I also enjoyed listening to TPOTUS give us that speech.

edit on 13-1-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Cent, I'll give the Pres that, it was what the country needed to hear. matter of fact, things like that should be said more often.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisterCrowley
The speech was a political ploy, a power play, I'm not going to say it was a great speech. He did not even write it.. The morons in the crowd were clapping like this was some political rally.. Someone in Obama's counsel said *Never let a good crisis go to waste*... This was what they were obviously doing, not letting this crisis go to waste.. Power play and disgusting behavior from Obama.

The speech never said we had to agree with either side's policies. It just said we should ratchet down the rhetoric when discussing them. We should be able to have civil debate and not immediately start making personal attacks on people and their families out of disagreement, or fear that the other side might succeed.

I would ask you to re-read a transcript or watch a replay. If after doing that, you still feel they way you did when you posted the above, so be it. Personally, I find it sad, but not really surprising that there are those on both the left and right that are perhaps "too far gone" to ever be able to engage in civil discourse again.
edit on 1/13/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I didn't watch the speech last night because I thought it would be boring. But your rousing report of it has prompted me to watch it online.

S&F for your honesty and ability to see this without the normal politically inspired rhetoric.
Thanks for this thread. This shows that we can sometimes get past the partisanship and see what's really going on. Inspiring, really. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I was almost afraid to watch based on everything that had been said.

Then I thought the "pep rally" feel at the beginning was not what I'd expect at a memorial and kind of strange.

As I mentioned on another thread, Obama seemed to rise to the moment about half way through and then go with it.

What a real leader has done in the past when we've all needed it.

Hopefully, most of us can decide to quit attacking each other - and people we support - and go back to discussing.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Hopefully, most of us can decide to quit attacking each other - and people we support - and go back to discussing.

I actually miss my discussions with you. We used to have some good ones. Hopefully, we can again.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by centurion1211

I actually miss my discussions with you. We used to have some good ones. Hopefully, we can again.

Thanks ...

I'm sure we can. Only problem for me would be if it appears that only a few people here "get it". Might need to pull a "Douglas MacArthur" in that case - if you get my meaning.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The whole event, including Obamas speech, reeked of North Korean Kim Jong-il-esque state propoganda.

It's no wonder Americans are so arrogant with the amount of media and political 'yay-America' arse-slapping that goes on.

Indoctrination seems rife in America. USA!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I agree. The speech was wonderful, stupendous, uplifting, and awe inspiring, yet we have seen Obama's gift for eloquent speaking before. He has the ability to deliver a speech that is captivating and almost hypnotizing to the crowds, but he speaks with forked tongue. Also, it is important to remember that he did not write this speech, he only delivered it via the much critisized teleprompter that he seems to not be able to function without. This teleprompter will be an issue in the 2008 campaign because Chris Matthews has made it an issue on MSNBC. Can he or can't he deliver a speech without it? Actions speak louder than words and his policies do not reflect his promises. I don't know if people will view him with the same messianic characterization that was observed during the 2008 campaign. He will continue to use "his gift", but people will not be so quick to feel a weird sensation down their legs. He will be a strong candidate if the Republicans choose someone that does not have similar outstanding campaign skills. The Republican's are going to have to produce a miracle worker or hero in order to win and they know it. He/she has probably already been chosen. I will predict one thing about the upcoming election. If you think we are a divided country now, you haven't seen anything yet!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I'd have to agree with your assessment. A very great and moving speech. I was touched and I cried when he was talking about those who died, and again at the end... but my favorite part of the whole speech was

If this tragedy prompts reflection and debate -- as it should -- let’s make sure it’s worthy of those we have lost.
And if, as has been discussed in recent days, their death helps usher in more civility in our public discourse, let us remember it is not because a simple lack of civility caused this tragedy -- it did not -- but rather because only a more civil and honest public discourse can help us face up to the challenges of our nation in a way that would make them proud.

I am ashamed to say that I failed here. Terribly. And now, reading it, I will correct that behavior immediately.

Transcript

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

A day or two ago I wrote a thread along the lines of the out of control polarization and rhetoric. The speech from last night really set in my resolve to never again fall into partisan dogma or bickering.

This entire event has been very, very sobering.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Actually it is the job of the president (now a days) that he hold not power, to make pretty and convincing speeches.

The only reason we in ATS are still talking about the "incident" is because politics are using it for their own advantage and surely against the rest of the nations voters with more stupid laws to thwart homegrown terrorism.

Perhaps our political puppets are actually getting scare for the first time in their miserable corrupted lives.

I am so sick and tired of the propaganda I will like to vomit all over. . .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join