It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is going on here?? A pep rally? Branding the Tucson massacre: “Together We Thrive”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Professionally designed Logo, free T-shirts with the printed logo, printed literature and press passes all with the logo. Really??? a !@#$% LOGO!!!! A logo in the aftermath of a crazed shooting by a lunatic. They have gone too far!! Cheering! Whoops! and hollering at this event hosted by your megalomaniac president.

President Obama used to preach that there was no “Red America” and no “Blue America,” just one America.

But tonight at the memorial for the Tucson massacre victims, it will be a sea of blue as the White House unveils the “Together We Thrive” logo and slogan.

Yes, the Tucson massacre is being branded:

Boy, they must have been working overtime to put all of this together so thoughtfully and on time. Makes you wonder if this material has been sitting in a warehouse just waiting for the next crisis. Can't waste a crisis you know.

All the University of Arizona buses in Tucson have been flashing the slogan on their digital signs.

Attendees at the memorial tonight report that they are being handed out the blue and white t-shirts as they enter the venue.

This was supposed to be an event that was totally planned by the University of Arizona. But, as the author of this article puts it

Given the Obama White House’s meticulous attention to stage prop details, however, I would say the odds of involvement by Axelrod/Plouffe & Co. are high.

Every move Obama makes is highly calculated and thought out. Pretty sad that this tragedy has been used for political grandstanding as Obama begins to ramp up is 2012 campaign.

Glad to see this sudden unity in Arizona. But, what about all of the cities who launched a boycott of Arizona over its immigration legislation. Yes, there was actually reported booing of Arizona Governor Brewer at this event that was supposed to be unifying.

Give me a break and maybe just once we CAN actually let a crisis actually go to waste. Respect and remember those who died and those who were injured. Thank those that rose to the occasion to help the wounded and to protect the innocent. Check the politics at the door!!!

michellemalkin.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

this is getting sick. like others have said; it's turning into a freaking circus.
and the star of the show here is JLL who is finally getting the attention he craved his whole life! good job america

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

A person familiar with the event confirmed the university put the event together, and was responsible for t-shirts, tickets, fliers, etc.

Source

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Well,,, I reckon its time to invade an couple countries

The memorial was more like a pep rally, I was waiting for pom poms

edit on 13-1-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

And even in your source, Michelle Malkin concedes:

As noted above, the University of Arizona announced the Together We Thrive event — and a few readers write in to say that the campus initiated the logo/campaign.

Now how is this about Obama branding the event for his campaign again???

reply to post by Janky Red

Maybe the families asked for a pep rally-type atmosphere instead of the conventional funeral dirge.

edit on 1/13/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Pep rally was my first thought when I heard the cheering while surfing the channels last night.

It sickened me, so I didn't stay on any of the channels that were carrying that load of crap.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I wouldn't put it past any politician to have been behind the scenes somewhere in that pep rally, calling some shots in the pre-production. I am not saying that it is so, it just wouldn't surprise me.

"Never let a crisis go to waste."

I gave you a star, there is no evidence that Obama was behind the rally.

He might take advantage of it though.

edit on 13-1-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

A person familiar with the event confirmed the university put the event together, and was responsible for t-shirts, tickets, fliers, etc.

Source

Thanks BH! I mentioned that fact and commented on it in the OP but I don't believe it. I believe that this event was constructed on a much higher level when you consider the logistics involved.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Thanks BH! I mentioned that fact and commented on it in the OP but I don't believe it. I believe that this event was constructed on a much higher level when you consider the logistics involved.

I would have to disagree that a university could not pull off the logistics of branding this event. They handle things like this all the time, i.e. school sporting events.

That said, I keep waiting on someone to post one of the tshirts on ebay.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Move over "Hope and Change", "Together We Thrive" is the new Obama campaign slogan! I am not so naive to believe that the college planned all of this without the WH stamp of approval prior to memorial. It just doesn't work that way.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I believe that this event was constructed on a much higher level when you consider the logistics involved.

The U of A is a huge organization and are very much able to pull this off. I know this university. They are extremely capable of setting up this event at a moment's notice... But don't let the facts get in the way of a good Obama-bash.

This event was put on by the University and the president attended as a guest speaker. If you have a problem believing that, is it indeed, your problem. This was very much a U of A presentation.

voices.washingtonpost.com...

www.uanews.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is from the University Website dated Monday January 10. The shooting occurred on Sat Jan. 8.

Together We Thrive

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama have accepted the University of Arizona's invitation to visit Tucson in response to the tragic shooting that occurred on Saturday.
By University Communications January 10, 2011

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama have accepted the University of Arizona's invitation to visit Tucson in response to the tragic shooting that occurred on Saturday.

President Obama will speak at a memorial event at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 12 to support and remember victims of the mass shooting in Tucson, and to lift the spirits of those who have been personally affected by this tragedy.

"Together We Thrive: Tucson and America," will take place at McKale Center and is free and open to the campus and greater Tucson community.

In addition to President Obama, UA President Robert N. Shelton, state and federal officials and members of the Associated Students of the UA will give brief remarks. The event will include a Native American blessing, a moment of silence, a poetry reading and the presentation of a chain featuring messages from members of the public.

The start of classes has been delayed until Thursday.

All I can say is wow!! They must have been busy coordinating all the talent on Sunday!! The day after the shooting. The political machine is at work.

uanews.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Any gathering of politicos is a propaganda event.

It doesn't matter if agitprop was handed out at the event or not.

The very fact that politicians are going on a media blitz over this event is in itself propaganda agitating for more State power.

When you have a ceremony loaded with politicians that is covered extensively by the press, it amounts to nothing more than free airtime for politicos to show how benevolent and caring they are.

If one of my family was murdered in this event, I would be outraged that the God King or any other politician was hosting an event in "honor" of my lost loved one.

I would be furious to no end.

In fact, I would probably be so furious that I would try to disrupt the event, and even face arrest for my disruptive actions.

It is not right that politicians should be grand-standing over dead people.

edit on 13-1-2011 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Not a republican or a democrat, but I was sickened by the way this occasion was treated. This was a tragic event, not a homecoming game! I can see a University pulling this together, but I can't understand why. I can totally see Obama's handlers exploiting the setup. (And, yes, I would be saying the same if it were a republican president in this situation.)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
www.americanthinker.com...

“This was more like an Arsenio Hall show than a memorial service,” Doug Lucas, writing for American Thinker, complains today. “Catcalls, standing ovations, whistling and the whoop, whoop, whoop of the crowd dominated the night. What should have been a somber occasion for reflection turned into another Obama pep rally. It was as if these students had their guy up on stage and by God they weren’t about to let a national tragedy get in the way of them having a good time and cheering on their messiah.”

I fully agree with Lucas's assessment of the political circus act.

Considering politicians are classless mafia gangsters that use violence to rob people of their wealth and destroy their life savings through inflation, it should come as no surprise that they are willing to exploit any tragedy for political gain.

edit on 13-1-2011 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The U of A is a huge organization and are very much able to pull this off. I know this university. They are extremely capable of setting up this event at a moment's notice... But don't let the facts get in the way of a good Obama-bash.

I wouldn't say yea or nay because I don't know. BUT I can understand those who believe O's handlers would be involved. And I sincerely believe that Obama himself would not let a photo op go to waste. After all, his Hope and Changiness has never staged anything heavy handedly before...

Oh, except for moving planes for photo-ops:
thecable.foreignpolicy.com...

Oh, and handing out lab coats. Not tshirts you understand, doctors deserve better:
www.nypost.com...

Or referring to United States Military members as "a pretty good photo op":
www.bizzyblog.com...

And his staff has never talked about exploiting a crisis:
allthenewsthatfits.wordpress.com...

You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.”

And of course, no one in the Democratic Party would think about exploiting this tragedy:
nation.foxnews.com...

One veteran Democratic operative, who blames overheated rhetoric for the shooting, said President Barack Obama should carefully but forcefully do what his predecessor did. "They need to deftly pin this on the tea partiers," said the Democrat. "Just like the Clinton White House deftly pinned the Oklahoma City bombing on the militia and anti-government people." Read more: nation.foxnews.com...

But, go ahead and disregard past performance when deciding to bash people for questioning if it's happening again.

And, again, for the record, if the Republicans were acting this way I'd be screaming just as loud. I can't stand either party!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I know you like to hone in on the information contained in my OP's without ever commenting on the actual event or content detailed in the OP. So, I will ask you directly. Do you support this memorial service/pep rally? The T-shirts? the undeniable branding of this massacre by the U of A or by the Obama camp? Was it all in poor taste? Was it in poor taste to boo the AZ governor at this event? This memorial service was like no other that is for certain.

Just curious as to your stance other than that of undeniably defending Obama at all costs.

Flashback to 2007 Virginia Tech shooting: 5 minutes of honesty and sincerity. Obama spoke and stumped for 30 minutes at the U of A.

President Bush tended to a grieving community in Blacksburg, Va., on Tuesday, telling students, faculty, staff and victims' families at Virginia Tech, the site of the country's largest fatal shooting spree, that the rest of the nation is praying for them.

"This is a day of mourning for the Virginia Tech community and it is a day of sadness for our entire nation. We come to express our sympathy in this time of anguish. I hope you know that people all over this country are thinking about you and asking God to provide comfort for all who have been affected," the president said, addressing the community where 32 people were gunned down in two separate attacks by a lone gunman who then took his own life.

"Yesterday began like any other day. Students woke up and grabbed their backpacks and headed for class. And soon the day took a dark turn. ... By the end of the morning it was the worst day of violence on a college campus in American history, and for many of you it was the worst day of your lives."

"I know many of you feel awfully far away from the people you lean on in difficult times but as a father, I can tell you that a parent's love is never far. ... I ask you to reach out to those who ache their sons and daughters will never come home," Bush said.

"May God bless you and keep you and keep the souls of the lost and may his love touch all of those who suffer and grieve," he concluded.

Bush and first lady Laura Bush went to Blacksburg, a town four hours south of Washington, D.C., to express "as representatives of the entire nation," the sorrow shared across the U.S. The president spoke for roughly five minutes.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

and this;www.remembrance.vt.edu... I see no cheering or free logo t-shirts here do you?? Hmmm. I wonder why???

top topics

join