It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuomo 'shocked' by raises for 28 top NY troopers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Cuomo 'shocked' by raises for 28 top NY troopers

Gov. Andrew Cuomo says he was "shocked" to learn 28 top officers in the state police got raises of more than $20,000 last month as some 900 state workers were facing layoffs.

The new governor says he'll review the increases, which were requested by the police agency after a union agreement bumped some majors to $170,756 salaries, topping executive staff pay.

The executive raises, first reported by WNYT television in Albany following a Freedom of Information Law request, boost staff inspectors to $173,756 yearly and the first deputy superintendent to $182,756.

Cuomo's office says Wednesday that Joseph D'Amico, who's nominated to become superintendent, would take a salary of $136,000 in the new job and forgo his pension from the New York City police department.

www.whec.com...

This is the entire story, from my local news.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
So Im interested what "conservatives" and/or "republicans" feel about this one. Usually the right is extremely pro-police, and extremely anti-union, but here we have the police union working for, and achieving huge raises for basically the CEOs of the police force, taking money away from the state, another pet peeve of the right. How bitterly ironic. In this economy, these police officers felt they needed $400,000 per year more from the state, as many people are losing their jobs.

Im sure the usual suspects will be here instantly to explain it all away.

edit on 13-1-2011 by aching_knuckles because: added figures

edit on 13-1-2011 by aching_knuckles because: speeling

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
S+F for you.

I would certainly label myself conservative. I've always felt that government jobs, whether they be federal, state, local or police/fire and the bloated benefits that go along with them are just unsustainable. You work 20 years and then collect benefits and a pension for at least 20 years if not more? Get a minor injury and retire on disability at 50 or 60% pay? Complain when you have to pay a small portion towards your benefits? Try those things in the private sector and see how far you get. Quite a few companies base their salary increases on COLA or some index of inflation. Why can't governments do the same? The days of labor unions and collective bargaining agreements extorting 5 or 6% or more in raises per year are economically unfeasible in todays world. Look at how well that did for the manufacturing sector...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hell, it's New York, they can pay their peeps as much as they want. Let me see, Illinois yesterday passed a 66% income tax increase. They also have increased the corporate taxes to the highest in the nation. Hmmmm, seems the states like California, Illinois and New York keep making it into the news on outrageous salaries, pensions, taxes, unemployment, blah, blah, blah.

I think the people of these states DESERVE everything they get.

Just wondering though, with Canada lowering it's corporate tax rates and other countries following suit, I wonder how many on the Democrat or Liberal side of the argument are calling for higher taxes on those EVIL corporations?

I bet it would help business grow and grow and grow and grow.......................in other countries!

new topics

top topics

join