It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama speech undercuts federal charge for judge's murder

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Oops, wonder which speech writer is going to get thrown under the bus for that mess up. It was an eloquent speech. Not to bad.

Huh, I wonder if the defense attorney will use the twinkie defense that was used a few years back? With the President of the United States congratulating the Sheriff that has been using Democrat rhetoric since the the murders, I wonder if the defense will use all of the idiocy as a defense? I am sure this will be looked into and suggested by a few.

The link-

Obama speech undercuts federal charge for judge's murder

It may have been inadvertent, but a passage in President Barack Obama's speech to a memorial service it Tucson Wednesday night could undercut a criminal charge federal prosecutors have leveled at suspect Jared Loughner for the death of U.S. District Court Judge John Roll in a shooting rampage Saturday.

"Judge Roll was recommended for the federal bench by John McCain 20 years ago, appointed by President George H.W. Bush, and rose to become Arizona's chief federal judge," Obama told the crowd at the University of Arizona. Roll's "colleagues described him as the hardest-working judge within the Ninth Circuit. He was on his way back from attending mass, as he did every day, when he decided to stop by and say, 'Hi,' to his representative."

Boy, you would think a "Constitutional Scolar" or even just a run of the mill Lawyer would know some of this stuff. Oh well, it is always a good thing for the nation and the President to bring us all together.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Just for clarification. The reason that this matters is that unless it was official business the murder of the Judge could only be charged as a state crime, not a federal crime.

I is a Consitutional Scholar

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Oh you can be sure that many hard left types just love his work. Who are those folks that hang out with Obama that used to blow up cops?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I don't know, but that's not the subject now is it?

This is about the [snip] Loughner, and whether or not Obama's speech changes anything. I really doubt it will, I think personally either way he goes, it's going to be a death penalty case for him.
edit on 1/13/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: political baiting removed

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Most of the 'memorial service' was a mess. Someone here has a thread about the misuse of biblical quotes at the service. And the reaction from those attending .. it was more like a college frat party then a memorial service. The Fort Hood service was done correctly. This one ... except for one speech and a few Obama snippets ... was a mess.

Originally posted by whatukno
The TEA Party Hero Loughner is pretty much boned, even Queen Sarah won't be able to save him.

:shk: Troll alert. Still spewing that crap that the Tea Party folks think he's a hero?
Seriously .. that's damn sick of you.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Er I think it's gona be a clear cut insanity plea and no death pen or prison more likely a secure hospital, so the politico attack on the President is a waste of time and mere propaganda.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I am still convinced he was just doing [snip] Sarah's bidding. Despite what FOX News has learned from the myriad of "Friends" they have found of his. For such a loner this guy seems to have had quite the wide circle of friends.

Still, the only way to know for sure is to hear it from the [snip] mouth.
edit on 1/13/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: political baiting removed

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

Loughner will most likely not be able to mount a diminished capacity defense. Outside of episodes of Law and Order, on television, such defenses are uncommon, very difficult to meet the standards for, and to convince a jury of anyway.

If Loughner was aware that his acts would cause harm or death to others, then diminished capacity is out the window.

Having said that (and I may be mistaken about this) I believe that Arizona has a law in place that would have Loughner face his sentence after receiving a psychiatric bill of health even he did beat the odds and successfully mounts such a defense.

As to my thoughts about the Presidents speech last night...

It was a no win situation really. No matter what he did (or any politician in his shoes, for that matter) there are going to be people who second guess it, armchair quarterback it, and analyze it with prejudice.

Such is the nature of the beast.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
Boy, you would think a "Constitutional Scolar" or even just a run of the mill Lawyer would know some of this stuff. Oh well, it is always a good thing for the nation and the President to bring us all together.

I don't know how you could think that Obama's words could be used in a court of law.
He wasn't at the shooting. Anything he said about why the judge was there is not evidence. Besides, that's a known fact reported on day one. It's already well-known that the judge had been to church previous to his visit to Giffords to say hi.

“On the morning of his death, Judge Roll went to Mass, and at 9:55 a.m., according to Martin, left his house to just 'drop in' on Giffords’ public gathering as a courtesy, to say hello.”

Actually, I'm pretty sure it will be considered business anyway. He could have met her at her hotel if he just wanted to chat. But it's one thing you can criticize Obama about, so carry on. I know how you guys love to do that.

Source

That news was already out there, but if you wish to lay it on Obama, go ahead.
It's not going to make a difference.

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Seriously .. that's damn sick of you.

It's no sicker than you repeatedly referring to the memorial service as a "frat party". You are guilty of what you charge, I'm afraid.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Doesn't really matter. Either way, if found guilty, the guy will probably be executed.

The TEA Party Hero Loughner is pretty much boned, even Queen Sarah won't be able to save him.

Either the feds will seek the death penalty or Arizona will seek the death penalty. He better hope that the Feds convict him, because they have executed far fewer people than Arizona has.

Loughner isn't a hero to the Tea Party or Palin or Patriots or Constitutionalists. I cant stand Palin but she had nothing to do with this nuts actions. Its far left wing nuts like you that have this country so screwed up. Loughner was left wing, but that doesnt matter because he was simply a psycho. There is no blame here on the left or the right. You should grow up and quit trolling.

To the OP. On topic, I'm sure that Loughners lawyer will use this in court, but in the end, it wont matter much, because he will probably still either be put to death or spend his life in a mental ward.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

I don't see that he did anything wrong.
The fact would have come out that he wasn't on official business.
Really Obama's remarks keeps prosecutors honest.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the Lawyers and state decide pretrial.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Interesting, I have a thread about this as my signature, it talks about if Jared Lee was a MKULTRA asset why would he kill a federal judge? It is quite a lot of coincidences, such as a ruling against Illegal immigrants trying to sue an Arizona rancher for 32 million, which John M Roll had judged in 2009. And now, Obama "inadvertently" makes a blunder, well, it seems to be lining up neatly.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Really Obama's remarks keeps prosecutors honest.

Really. This is a very good point. Would the OP want the reason for the judge's presence at the Giffords' rally to be faked just so it would be considered a federal crime instead of a state crime? Let's keep honest here... or we're playing in the same sandbox they are.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yeah I am not really sure I understand the point of all this. I have heard that the judge just happened to stop by ever since Saturday afternoon. It was all over the news that he just happened to be there when he was shot. Obama did not reveal anything I had not already heard all over the MSM for days so is this political trolling or what?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Oh, SORRY, should I have checked with you before posting an article from Politico?

For those that do not want to address what was stated in the article, TYPICAL.

For those that did, well, you are few and far between. Also, just because the media speculates and spread lies does not mean anything. But when the totus goes around giving campaign rallies that cause problems in a possible prosecution, there may be a problem.

But I digress.

One hell of an opener of the election campaign don't you think?
edit on 13-1-2011 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
reply to post by Sinnthia

Oh, SORRY, should I have checked with you before posting an article from Politico?

Huh?

For those that do not want to address what was stated in the article, TYPICAL.

I did address what is in the article. It was all over the news all week that the judge was not supposed to be there and just happened to stop by. Did you miss that?

For those that did, well, you are few and far between. Also, just because the media speculates and spread lies does not mean anything. But when the totus goes around giving campaign rallies that cause problems in a possible prosecution, there may be a problem.

But I digress.

One hell of an opener of the election campaign don't you think?
edit on 13-1-2011 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

One day at a time, EIN. One day at a time. Have you met my friend, Bill?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Normaly we agree, but I gotta say, it was common knowledge before Obama mentioned it. Seems like no big deal to me, and I'm sure the attourney is well versed in how to try and get over, look at his other clients.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join