It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

strange biblical quotes at tucson memorial service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
sorry if this is the wrong forum, I just read the script from the tucson memorial service... needless to say Obama and Napolitano both quoted some quite "irrelevant" biblical veres for this situation.

8:37 pm - Napolitano quotes Isaiah 40: "Comfort, yes, comfort my people." "Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a way for our God." "The glory of the Lord shall be revealed."

8:38pm - Napolitano: "The everlasting God, the lord, the creator of the ends of the earth neither faints nor grows weary."

thats all fine and dandy, but it has nothing to do with the "situation" at hand. the actual verse goes something like this -
...................................................................................................................................................... ............
Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. 2 Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the Lord's hand double for all her sins.
3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. 4 Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: 5 And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.
...................................................................................................................................................... ...........

then Attorney General Holder steps in with some scripture -

8:41pm: AG Holder: "We look not to the things that are seen, but to the things that are unseen." He was quoting 2 Corinthians 4.

Talk about Distortion of scripture, this is the real verse -
...................................................................................................................................................... ...........
1 Therefore, since through God’s mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart. 2 Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, NOR DO WE DISTORT THE WORD OF GOD. ON THE CONTRARY, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God. 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
...................................................................................................................................................... ..........

8:46pm: Now it's President Obama's turn to read from scripture: "There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells. God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day."

THIS IS WHERE IT GETs KIND OF TRIPPY, the full verse goes like this-
Psalms 46-
1God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
2Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.
4There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.
5God is in the amidst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
6 THE HEATHEN RAGED,THE KINGDOMS WERE MOVED,HE UTTERED HIS VOICE AND THE EARTH MELTED.
7The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
8Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
9He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
10Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
11The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.
...................................................................................................................................................... .............

HMMMMM, MAKES ME WONDER OF OBAMA IS THE HEATHEN THAT IS SPOKEN OF IN VERSE 6?

then obama uses scripture for the last time to quote a verse out of Job 30 (which is much to long to post so just google it- its a very trippy chapter)

9:03pm: Obama: "In the words of Job, “when I looked for light, then came darkness.”

Obama: "Bad things happen, and we must guard against simple explanations in the aftermath."

I just think its kind of strange that the secretary of the DHS, the Attorney General, and The President of The United States of America would use these scriptures at an event like this... maybe im just twisting words, but in my honest opinion there was a deeper message being conveyed.

what are your guys' thoughts?

edit on 13-1-2011 by WJjeeper because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-1-2011 by WJjeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WJjeeper

I see nothing wrong with the use of any of the scripture referenced here. It is appropriate and is no different than my pastor using a small piece of the lesson for the day to weave a sermon that expands on the piece of scripture he chose. The purpose of the memorial service was to remember those who were lost, encourage those who were injured, and to offer comfort to their loved ones, family, and friends. I believe that was accomplished in part by the use of the scripture that was included in the service.
edit on 13-1-2011 by dalloway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I couldn't help but picture members of the Third Reich standing there reading bible passages before they go out tomorrow and round up more Jews. There was something lacking in their sincerity but I'm not sure what it was... Oh wait I know - They are psychopathic NAZI's every other day of their lives, yes that must be it.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Honestly I feel the same way. I've come into a whole new world where people communicate through symbolism and quotations from other sources, people, etc.

These quotes seems totally out of place and they don't even fit the situation, the mood or environment they're currently in. If they quoted just one, I can say, "Ok, they just missed the mark by trying to quote a nice line from Scriptures." But all of them together says a few things.

I think a whole new world is being conveyed right in plain site, or within earshot I guess you can say. Coded messages can be found in speeches. Like Elite #1 will "ask a question" by quoting a certain Scripture, then Elite #2 from a different country (or whoever) will "answer" Elite #1 by quoting Scripture in one of their speeches.

I've never taken the time to figure it out fully, but I'm sure it exists.

The most important thing in communication is to hear what ISN'T being said.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I agree with OP that those verses are creepy for a memorial service....and even creepier when reading the entire verse selection in context!

Wow...just like labor pains get harder and closer together while getting steadily more painful...we are in for a bumpy ride in the coming years! Just sayin'.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
thanks for the comments guys, definetly some wierd stuff... i went and worked on my Jeep for a while and came back to my thread and my good book and re-read the passages. strange stuff, being said here.

for those that dont know, the word "SELAH" is hebrew for "stop and listen" or, more precise "let those with eyes see and ears hear". its often confused with "AMEN"

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Good for you.

When I saw that this supposed "Memorial" was just another three-ring-circus, I couldn't watch any more.

If I were a relative of any of those slain, I'd have walked out on his irreverent ass.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Good catch!
Gave me the shivers and I can tell ya there are far many more appropriate and comforting scripture that could have been used - I agree with the OP - what were these people thinking!

Talk about 'right in your face' scary.
I wonder what 'message' they ere trying to get across?

(It wasnt') Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
My thoughts exactly? "Que sera, sera... What will be, will be..." There were truly many hidden messages contained in their carefully, chosen words. I'll give it a go here:

As per the recent incident of Gabrielle --- her eyes opened for the first time as a symbolic announcement to the world that all is well (so to speak), "G-d" may actually be returning back to this planet in a desert (perhaps somewhere in the Middle Eastern areas and "down by the river" (as per a very funny SNL sketch).

TPTB actually believe they are doing "G-d's will" and acting upon his words "unseen" --- which is fine by me nonetheless.

And whatever "bad things" TPTB have been undergoing or will be experiencing in the aftermath, will feel as if they were in "darkness" and were doing what appears to be a "poor Job"; when in fact they are closer to the "light" of the matter.

Oh well. I tried my best re-interpreting the Biblical references in light of the event.

edit on 2011-1-13 by pikypiky because: To add more creative "food for thoughts".

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Struck me as rather odd too...Janet Napolitano just straight up getting up there and reading, and then the man after her doing the same. And what they chose was umm I don't know...just didn't seem too appropriate? I can usually relate but not this time. Anyone else noticing a marked rise of Christian "talk" (for wont of a better word) all over the government and from government officials? Maybe the two readings in a row were a counterbalance to the Native American opening prayer? I'm sure they planned the program...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
What part of the Bible would have been relevant?
edit on 13-1-2011 by quantum_flux because:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Tremendous amount of things being said here, but many will see and hear, but not understand. "for He cometh on clouds of Glory" I pray for all of you that God will give you wisdom to understand. "The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Amen to that! We are family --- one and the same.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Sounds like they are waking up to the world and what needs to be done.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WJjeeper
Obama and Napolitano both quoted some quite "irrelevant" biblical veres for this situation.

That's what happens when egotistical people try to blather about something when they have no idea what it is about.

Honestly, most of the event was strange and/or inappropriate. What's with the rambling indian blessing thing? And the whoops and shouts coming from those attending the memorial service .... inappropriate at best. It was not supposed to be a freak'n college frat party.

A good speech here or there .. good snippets from Obama ... but it was just not done right IMHO. Fort Hood was done right. This ... this was kinda messy.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
It was not supposed to be a freak'n college frat party.

How do you know what it was supposed to be? I've seen funerals with dancing and a band. Food, drinking and fun. Who are you guys to judge these people's funeral?

Maybe the families asked them to read from the bible or maybe the families even gave them specific things to read... I don't see this as weird at all. Every funeral I've been to had bible verses (or parts of them) read... I can't even understand what you all think is strange. Seemed perfectly normal to me.
What exactly is the problem?
edit on 1/13/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantum_flux
What part of the Bible would have been relevant?
edit on 13-1-2011 by quantum_flux because:

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27

Philippians 1:20-23 NIV
I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;

2 Corinthians 5:1 NIV
Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands

i dont know, theres just about a thousand "relevant" biblical verses.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
They know the LORD and his influences are very close.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

did you go back and read Job 30? ALL of psalms 46? maybe you would realize how irrelevant and truly "wierd" these quotes are when you do.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by WJjeeper

I'm frankly a little creeped out by that selection.

top topics

join