It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Government Weapon Will Temporarily Blind Crowds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
That's so nice that every new technology is used for weapons against citizens... Yeah the government totally wants to defend your freedom uh?

New Government Weapon Will Temporarily Blind Crowds

Tasers are so yesterday. The latest government gizmo is the "Dazer Lazer". Writes a friend embedded within the government:

We get all sorts of government trade journals delivered here. I found this while leafing through the latest issue of GSN: Government Security News (www.gsnmagazine.com...).

The "Dazer Laser" is an "ocular distraction device" that emits a non-damaging [Oh yeah-RW] laser pattern that temporarily blinds a person. Some of them will work up to 1.5 miles! The videos show quite clearly how they do their dirty work... I can imagine it won't be long before SWAT teams are mounting these to their RV's for crowd and riot control.

All so they pretend that they are not tyrannical because they use ``non-lethal`` weapons against crowds... because eh, shooting in crowds with real bullets would look fascist... but eh, using ``non-lethal`` weapons to do the same job of denying people their constitutional rights look more friendly.

Those non-lethal weapons are just for PR, nothing else.

I bet SOME people are gonna blind for real with this thing.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
S&F For getting this out there but these have been used in prisons for years. Definitely not a new weapon.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Mirrored sunglasses.

and one of the comments at the link.

Having a technical background, I wonder how using a mirror to reflect this pulsing laser would affect the users of this device, or better yet, a whole crowd of people with mirrors. Another $1,000,000 big government gadget defeated by basic physics.

This actually makes it easier for them to tyrannically destroy protests; force begets force, this will prevent anyone from effectively fighting back.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

The chinese had a gun similar to this ages ago but it was for battle and it DID blind soldiers..

This will probably start like the tazers, we'll see some permanent eye damage which they will say is accidental but acceptable in the name of peace..

Between this and the noise cannons do you see an end to peacefull protests.??

s&f

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Leave it to the government to work on things that hurt people. Anyone still think they're not psychopaths?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

Psychopaths? No. If thats the case since all the guns I own were for the most part designed for warfare and by governments that would be saying gun owners are psychopaths to which I would definitely disagree with.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
If it is so safe, why were all the demonstrators wearing sunglasses?

Deebo

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

think george from seinfeld!! what happens if it gets inbetween u and the sunnies and bounces back and forth back and forth

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
my 1 watt infrared laser permanently blinds you and you never see it.

i can play any game they want to play but nastier

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Wow! They Invented An Extremely Bright And Non Lethal!....Light.

Of course if you take a light its Beam is going to be Wide. And Of course its going to "Close in on Target".
They're Better off Just using Two Laser Pointers taped on pencils.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The beauty of this abusive tool is that it FORCES the victim to raise their hands quickly to protect their eyes, giving the cops all the excuse they need to say, "I thought he was raising a weapon, that's why I shot him!"

It also FORCES the victim to turn away and flee from the cops, giving them a reason to say you were "resisting".

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Unfortunately its not going to stop the "bad guy" from shooting his gun or running at you with his knife and taking some blind slices / shots at you.

They should add a tazzer to this device as a secondary function in case the "bad guy" still tries his luck after been temporarily blinded

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Are they testing them on the birds?

Seriously, though, why are some humans compelled to weaponize everything?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I will believe it when I see it.

Remember a few years back there was supposedly new technology in US helicopters that could read a newspaper from so many miles away.

Well, with all that technology why is it the US couldn't see two planes coming straight for the twin towers? why is it they couldn't find sadaam? why is it they still can't find osama bin laden??

More propaganda crap from the military machine.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Bring a big mirror to the protest. Or figure out a way to outfit sunglasses with a reflective lens or filter that disables the effects.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Heres a little something you may be interested in, seems theres another use for this laser.

Laser defends against pirates.

I suppose any non-lethal weapon is a good thing, especially for controlling crowds, not sure they'd do so well against the pirates AK-47s though.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I believe that a mirror defense is not in the least bit viable, (this may be a stretch) imagine if they deployed the active denial system are another such sound wave "weapon" along side the crown control laser and were able to tune the harmonic output to that of the mirrors glass allowing them to do a sweep of all mirrors from a distance shattering them and raining shards of glass down on violent protesters. Does anyone know if such a thing is feasible? My simplistic mind thinks it wouldn't be too hard a task to accomplish and would greatly reduce the effectiveness of mirrors as a countermeasure. Worst case scenario marksman with frangible ammo could take out the mirrors with less risk over over penetration and much would be a fairly less lethal way to dispatch the mirrors from service. As far a reflective sunglasses I'm not sure they would do the trick but I have a few experiments in mind to simply test the theory. Souped up versions of those red laser protective safety glasses might provide some level of protection but I'm not sure I would risk it.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
All so they pretend that they are not tyrannical because they use ``non-lethal`` weapons against crowds... because eh, shooting in crowds with real bullets would look fascist... but eh, using ``non-lethal`` weapons to do the same job of denying people their constitutional rights look more friendly.

Those non-lethal weapons are just for PR, nothing else.
I bet SOME people are gonna blind for real with this thing.

Just to add another perspective to this point. I can't understand why you think non-lethal weapons are just as bad as lethal weapons in the context of riot control.

The point is not the weapon itself, but what it is used for. If any weapon is used against a peaceful demonstration, it is tyrannical. Sometimes, though, there are riots, or mobs seeking to perform ethnic cleansing.

My personal experience as a soldier faced with a violent mob, armed with stones, sticks, molotov cocktails and a few rifles, relate to this. We did not have available non-lethal weapon options, so we had to use live rounds fired over the mob and into the ground, or in extreme cases directed shots. I sure could have used some "dazer laser" or rubber bullets or anything.

My point is that there is a real need for non-lethal weapons. At the same time I also agree that using any weapon against non-violent crows is wrong.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by questcequecest
reply to post by eNumbra

think george from seinfeld!! what happens if it gets inbetween u and the sunnies and bounces back and forth back and forth

Then we rave.

And for anyone who automatically assumes they're not safe because the police are wearing sunglasses; the police are wearing glasses so they don't get disabled themselves during operation.
Same reason cops wear masks when using tear gas.

I'm not assuming they're safe, just pointing out that you observation is off-base.
edit on 1/13/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by raceway40

yeah I have heard of it also being used in prisons, one more reason not to go lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join