It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Challenger a terrorist attack? Carl Sagan knew?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This is actually rather chilling. In some rather routine research of Majestic related personnel, I was looking at Carl Sagan's FBI file.

In 1983, he was given a letter predicting a terrorist attack on the shuttle Columbia, describing the EXACT manner in which the explosion would take place. This was the purpose of the FBI file, to record this letter...so of course, the FBI was aware of this.

Here's a link to the file:

Wasn't sure exactly where to put this....space exploration? terrorism? etc.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
this is very interesting, your post I mean, as I could not get it to load, could you post the letter please?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It's in pdf format, so you'd need Adobe Acrobat Reader...

Here's a screenshot of the content of the message...

What's interesting is that it is:

1) before the Challenger disaster (letter was in '83)
2) describes a terrorist plot to blow up a shuttle
3) describes that it will look like a fuel leak
4) was known about by the FBI

This is authentic by the way, as an FBI file obtained through the freedom of information act by researchers.

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by goose
this is very interesting, your post I mean, as I could not get it to load, could you post the letter please?

You would need to find Adobe Acrobat which is a free download/install for your browser.

That pdf is rather interesting.. I wonder why this hasn't popped up in mainstream media.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Got me...like I said, I wasn't even searching for it...just kind of stumbled on it... I'm sure Carl simply notified the authorities when he got the letter, which then of course, as is routine, they created a file, etc. I thought his file might be a little interesting, started reading it, and WHOA!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
great find gazrok, very strange stuff, i never would associated the Challenger with terrorism before, but looking at the letter, makes you wonder what really happened now.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   

i never would associated the Challenger with terrorism before, but looking at the letter, makes you wonder what really happened now.

Exactly what I was thinking... I never really considered the idea that it might be terrorism before, at least not seriously... Yet here it is, in black and white, a terrorist threat on a space shuttle, describing exactly how it would be done, less than 3 years before Challenger blew up...

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The reason the FBI did nothing with this was that agents attempted contacting Dr. Sagan's source. The man who allegedly wrote the letter had died before the letter was written and the address was that of a large apartment complex.

The trail went cold and the FBI dropped the matter. They were unable to determine what kind of typewriter was used to type the letter and had no further clues.

What is peculiar to me though is why this was classified as top secret.

Researcher 01A
www.onealclan.com The Bible Code Website

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well it was 3 years...so I really wasn't trying to harp on the FBI for not doing anything....

The big revelation, for me anyhow, was the possibility of Challenger being a terrorist plot versus an accident.

I'd always thought the latter, but this kind of sheds a new light on the possibility that maybe it was actually a terrorist act. The question then becomes, if it was a terrorist attack, then obviously the government knew or at least suspected it was (who knows what other evidence they had other than this little letter) yet still went with the accident story...

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I dunno. I think he got lucky. His predictions are mostly out of whack, seeing as how Bush didnt get re-elected, Clinton's birthday is 8/19 (Washington's is 2/22), there wasn't a huge crippling earthquake or an invasion of AMerica or nuclear war or anything like that.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by GazrokWhat's interesting is that it is:
1) before the Challenger disaster (letter was in '83)
2) describes a terrorist plot to blow up a shuttle
3) describes that it will look like a fuel leak
4) was known about by the FBI

Well, that'd be a "no match."

It's been conclusively demonstrated that the problem was the "O-rings." I don't know if you've ever been to a launch (I have) and seen the security around the site before and after the launch. The attack and so forth didn't happen.

Engineers had been warning about the temperature and the O rings, and at least one documented his fears about the situation:www.click2disasters.com...

Here's the link on the sequence:
vesuvius.jsc.nasa.gov...

Since I've been to a launch, and go to Kennedy about once every two years, I have a lot of trouble believing a "terrorist attack" scenario. I agree with Spngs... he got lucky.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Well, he called it Columbia, not Challenger...

I find a terrorist attack very unlikely. There is nothing to be gained, and nothing has been gained from a terrorist attack by ANYBODY.

Just doesn't make sense.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I swear-the more I come to ATS, the more I learn.
Nothing surprises me now, nothing. And, wasn't there an airplane a while back that went down near New York, and everyone thought they saw a Missle headed toward it? It was before 9/11. Sorry if I am re-directing your post....

E_T

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
It's been conclusively demonstrated that the problem was the "O-rings." I don't know if you've ever been to a launch (I have) and seen the security around the site before and after the launch. The attack and so forth didn't happen.

Engineers had been warning about the temperature and the O rings, and at least one documented his fears about the situation:www.click2disasters.com...

Yeah, I suggest reading book about
Richard Feynman:
What do You care what other People think? - Further Adventures of a Curious Character

It doesn't give good picture about thinking/ideology of "bigshots".

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   
The Carl Sagan - FBI file comes up blank on my screen. Has it been removed?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   

And, wasn't there an airplane a while back that went down near New York, and everyone thought they saw a Missle headed toward it?

Yea, that was the TWA flight. I'm not sure if they ever found out what happened. But, such aerial accidents could have been inside jobs. There would be a limited number of people who knew what actually happened and the rest would be dead. The limited number being the people who checked out everything. I wonder if anyone has ever checked out if the Challenger photographs could have been fake?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Where does he combine "terrorist" with the space shuttle? Unless I read it wrong, it seems to me that he is listing off several seperate events that aren't related to eachother except for the feul depot/warehouse bit.

What I got out of it was;

Event #1 - Terrorists bomb a warehouse as a diversion for a fuel depot attack.

#2 "If Columbia goes on schedule it's going to blow form a fuel leak. (the word "terrorist" is not included in this particular prediction)

#3 The world is over, earthquakes, WWIII in 2000 with nukes and so on...

Am I missing the connection between terrorist and Columbia here?

An awesome find none the less mind you!

m...

[edit on 7-10-2004 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjamison
The Carl Sagan - FBI file comes up blank on my screen. Has it been removed?

Nope its there I just printed it up. Its pretty cool bunch of information. i work in the medical field and we generate alot of paperwork similar to this. I esp. like the typewritter breakdown to determine the type

new topics

top topics

join