It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions on Ceremonial Magick?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I was just wondering what people's opinions and experiences of Ceremonial/Ritual/High Magick are?
I have just started reading about it and it seems very interesting.
I have only got as far as keeping a dream diary and ritual diary, starting with Tarot cards and looking at the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram.
It doesn't seem bad in any way, and one of the rules of any magick is supposed to be that whatever you do comes back threefold, including Black Magick - so it would not be in my interest to do anything bad anyway!
I have read further into the book to get a better idea of what I should be hoping to achieve and it does seem to be all very enlightening, and helpful in exploring your inner self and your place in the universe.

What does everyone else think?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Well, I never really liked how structured so called "high magics" are.
It doesnt really appeal to me, I guess.

Im more of an ecclectic/traditional/folk magic kinda person.
But if Ceremonial works for you, use it!

If you need any info on it, I have read quite a bit about, so feel free to ask.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I am going to ask you point blank: Are your motives and thoughts good and holy? If not then the practitioners of magic and sorcery and spells are not welcome in my land.

Magic and sorcery involved the manipulations of the lessor spritual energies. It involves the direction of demonic agencies, spirits, and energies that are not the best thing to have running around among human beings.

Those who wish to pursue these arts today are most likely looking for personal power, a means to influence and gain, or worse. The wisdom of ancient arts and knowledge of power is not for the uninitiated and the profane.

When the profane practice arts of magic, it is the demons that come to them, and they are used by the demons to harm themselves and mankind in general. It is contrary to the enlightened government of this land to allow or encourage the practising of demonic or magic arts. Those who say that "magic" is not from these powers is grossly ignorant.

Modern users of ceremonial magic I would distrust highly, like all modern people without virtue. The will of these kind of people is the same kind of will that is found in the bussinesses and offices, because these people are the same kind that are found there. If they cannot demonstrate integrity in their civil and personal lives, how then can they expect to acquire the mysteries and powers of the universe, or hope to direct the powers to form anything but misery and suffering for man?

There are many secrets schools, surely more than I have ever heard of, and Truly they are secret and hidden. Perhaps they have sincere practitioners and real spells and rituals. But what kind of people are these? Only the most pure can direct the powers, only the most just can wield the greater powers, and only the most wise can act without danger and darkness as a result.

I believe that most of the ceremonial magic and secret society type of magic is being used to increase the wealth of this cynical and unholy generation, and it is used against the population to create a nation more conducive to consumption and ingnorance. That is also the aim of the demons, who are the root of these powers.

Persons who consort with demons are traitors of humanity, and criminals, and liable to destruction by the righteous, driven from civilized regions and cast out of the land. Modern America is full of wrath and demons today because of the gross indulgence of the people towards uncleanness and ignorance, and the impotence of the leadership in the enforcement of REAL good.

The powers of the mind are nothing to be trifled with, yet modern people consider everything fair game to them. Having no understanding of the powers and forces of the universe leads entire peoples into destruction.

It's not religion that I am basing my statements on, it is knowledge, and the understanding of the outcome of good and evil.

So you magic users - you curious kids - watch out, because you have no idea of what you are going after.

Arky

[Edited on 9-7-2004 by Arkaleus]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Magic and sorcery involved the manipulations of the lessor spritual energies. It involves the direction of demonic agencies, spirits, and energies that are not the best thing to have running around among human beings.

Modern users of ceremonial magic I would distrust highly,

this is a blatent application of cagatha. great steaming piles of bovine feces.

Magick or magic as you will is neither good or bad, black or white. it is the intent
of the practitioner that is black or white or sometimes even grey. aspects of
ceremonial magick are and have been used in mainstream christianity since the beginning.

one thing i can agree with Ark on is ceremonial magick is very strong and
powerful and should not be played with. if you are going to use it be very cautious. something our HP told us many years ago is a good thing to keep
in mind at all times. " A spell once spoken can not be broken."

as cheezy as it was the movie The Craft had some words of wisdom in it.
like when sarah wanted to undo the "love spell" and was told "you cant
undo it you have to let it run its course like a storm, you cant stop it because you changed your mind."

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I have a copy of Aleister Crowley's Magick in Theory and Practice and his concept of "magick" was surprising in light of hysterical claims I'd read about The Great Beast from Christians.

I like Robert Anton Wilson's concept of "magick" myself. No rituals and it's a helluva lot of fun to use.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Ceremonial magic(k) provides a framework to safely learn how to manipulate energies to a specific purpose. All the candles, incense, robes, etc. serve to rivet the conscious self so that the subconscious can be released to do its work. Theoretically, once the procedure has become integrated, the magician can dispense with the props and ceremony and work directly with the energies involved. This is dependent on the type of magic being performed, however.

Ceremony (& ritual) serves many purposes. It sets a certain mood that separates the esoteric from the mundane. It can tap into a certain area of the collective unconsciousness both inner and outer ("as above, so below"). It provides structure for working with groups, thereby reinforcing a group consciousness and focussing the collective energies to the immediate goal. It can be celebratory. It can also be an expression of respect when dealing with certain energies or processes, such as with Kabbalistic magic. It also provides a safety net, as most magical operations have failsafes and guards in case of accidental misdirection or screwups.

As a solitary Witch, I don't use ritual & ceremonial magic often, though sometimes I include it out of nostalgia or for celebratory purposes. But I will say that when I've worked in Circle with other Witches and magical types, there's nothing to match the rush of a successful ritual.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I agree Hecate. To me the main point of a ritual is focus, which allows the mind to gain some measure of a "higher" state of awareness.

To use an example from sports, a lot of athletes have "superstitions" about their perfromances. For example: They'll get dressed the same way before every game, they have to touch a certain object before taking the field/court, they won't step on certain lines on the field/court, etc. To me these are just a form of magickal ritual carried out to help them attain focus on their task at hand.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
have any here ever seen or been a participant in a circle where they have
"drawn down" a cone of power? awesome to see.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Whats with the extra K on the Magic?

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
As to the "k", Spirit Online provides a brief explanation of its usage. Wiccans and Witches tend to view the "k" as an affectation more often than not, though this depends on the individual's exposure to Crowley's works and how much ceremonial magic is incorporated into their personal practice.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
it is also something along the lines of color and colour, there is also the thing
about differentiating between hollywoods magic and the practice and belief in
magick. there are several other explinations all of which probably have some
basis in fact.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I read your posts, you flirt with the universe!

None of you have expressed any firm purpose, or intent, or guideline of your creed. Any use of magic is reasonably like the direction of any other force or tool.

If you, being the vessel or seat of your being, do not have much of a foundation, or much of a creed, then I would be afraid to let in the forces and the powers, because they would likely rule you.

Even if it just be a little deviation from the light, that's all that's required. Serve your own will is the mantra of these preists, and serve their own will is what they do.

What spells have you worked? Are you keepers of secrets? Are your desires afraid of the light? That is the first bar you must pass to progress anywhere in the light. If not, then you are dwelling in muck and darkness, and your magic draws upon the same forces.

That is why I distrust magic users and all forms of sorcery and craft - it is often just a dalliance and a snare for young people to get distracted from their original innocence and intentions.

Ark

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biggie
I agree Hecate. To me the main point of a ritual is focus, which allows the mind to gain some measure of a "higher" state of awareness.

To use an example from sports, a lot of athletes have "superstitions" about their perfromances. For example: They'll get dressed the same way before every game, they have to touch a certain object before taking the field/court, they won't step on certain lines on the field/court, etc. To me these are just a form of magickal ritual carried out to help them attain focus on their task at hand.

I agree completely with both of you. Another example would be when you apply for a job. You type up a resume(write a spell), you make sure you have all you pertinent identifying information, such as driver's license, social security, purse,/wallet, keys, etc.(prepare your magickal tools); you find the perfect outfit, for the job of which you are applying,(pick a robe); You prepare yourself, the night before, practicing in your mind at least possible questions your potential employer may ask(go over basic ritual structure). You shower, put on makeup/shave, brush your teeth, etc.(no different) You empower yourself with encouraging words, trying to build up nerve, then it's showtime!
Ritual structure is not very different than that. You never go into one, unprepared and half-cocked. That would be disastrous, and you'll negate the outcome by doing so. Your heart and mind, must be in accordance to your goal, to accomplish it in magick, or in reality. I have always taught my students in the Arts and Mysteries, to follow the applicable structure of ritual in their daily lives. Whether it be getting their car fixed, to grocery shopping.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I have always taught my students in the Arts and Mysteries, to follow the applicable structure of ritual in their daily lives. Whether it be getting their car fixed, to grocery shopping.

Yes! In this way, the aspirant/acolyte learns to become aware -- both of what s/he is actually doing at all times, as well as the fact that ritual, magic and the sacred can be experienced in everyday life instead of being limited to temple, Circle, etc. There is just as much magic and ritual in cooking a good meal for my family (including a blessing and thanks to the creatures who gave life to sustain us) as anything I do in Circle. I believe that if you can't bring magic & the sacred into everyday life, then you have much to learn.

new topics

top topics

join