It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's get real ATS: Putting the AZ shooting into perspective.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Six dead, fourteen wounded. A tragedy no doubt.

But if this had happened in an inner city slum as a result of gang violence.

Or had been the product of messed up bank robbery.

Would we know or care nationally? The main reason we know is that it happened to have involved public/political figures. Yes, if the event hadn't occurred with high profile figures it still would have gotten news coverage on the local and state level, it might have even been a blurb on the national news. But people are the victims of violent crimes everyday. Where is their presidential moment of silence? Where is the national condolences for grieving families of everyday senseless violence? Are homemakers and department store employees or children who don't happen to be standing next to political figures any less deserving of our sympathies, any less human or entitled to life?

Would new congressional laws be proposed/enacted? And the law about not being able to be armed within 1000 feet of a congressperson is the type of ridiculous thing that's driving me batsh** about this whole thing. A congressperson is more entitled to life/protection then a 9 year old girl? Somehow by being elected to office you become mystically more sacred?

Yes it's a tragedy, it's horrible. And if it had been gang violence, or a robbery gone south, we wouldn't be crawling inside a sicko's head looking for motivations (and I'm guilty of that just as much as anyone else), we'd accept the fact that he's a criminal, feel sorry for those who suffered and move on. We wouldn't have a nation polarized about rhetoric, or gun control. We wouldn't have calls for new legislation against freedom of speech or the right to own guns.

I just think we need to take a moment and get a little perspective.

Respectfully,
T

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

I agree as 350+ Australians die each day approx ... each and every one of them a tragedy.

QLD Flood victims or AZ shooting victims are no more or less tragic.

Personal Disclosure: Official Titles are a very poor substitute for a bullet proof jacket!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Taliesien333

I see where you're coming from, but I wonder if you can identify any recent mass shootings in the US that have been largely ignored?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

because it's class warfare and unfortunately you me and every other non-politician are of low class apparently. Whats really said is he got an extra charge for shooting the politician and not for killing kid. And the girl's parents well her father told the media that they don't want their daughter's death to restrict rights and freedoms and the Libs about lost their mind and even insinuated that the little girls parents should have never had the right to be parents do to their thoughts on the subject. And even creepier is the fact that the shooter shot a judge that helped against the net neutrality bill it's almost like he was a martyr for his cause and the media/net neutrality people are pissing on his grave instead of running the fact that he died for our freedom to use the Internet without restrictions.
edit on 12-1-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I was just watching BATMAN: DARK KNIGHT not more than a few hours ago, and I was struck by something rather profound that The Joker said (The Joker is very profound and philosophical character). He's talking with Two-Face in the hospital about planners and schemers (the police, the politician, the mobsters, etc.). He says that if he announces tomorrow that a gang-banger is going to die, or that a truckload of soldiers is going to get blown up, that no one panicks, because it's all according to plan. But, if he says that one poor old little mare is going to get shot, then everyone loses their mind. I just wanted to mention this because, well, I think it's apropo to your argument...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I understand and agree with what you are saying. An unnecessary death is tragic and all people are equal.

With that said the attempted assassination of a political leader is an attack on all of us...to our way of life...our freedom. It's a big deal, one that should always get a lot of attention.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I understand and agree with what you are saying. An unnecessary death is tragic and all people are equal.

With that said the attempted assassination of a political leader is an attack on all of us...to our way of life...our freedom. It's a big deal, one that should always get a lot of attention.

That would indeed be the case if there was any proof that what he attempted was a politically motivated assassination. But does the murder of someone who happens to be a political leader for nonpolitical reasons constitute an attack on all of us or our way of life or is it just a murder, the same as if a person with a grudge against a walmart cartpusher murdered them?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

My heart goes out to the familes and loved ones of the victims. In particular those of the 9 year old girl.

It sickens me that politicians are spinning this into new gun control legislation. How many gun control bills were passed after JFK was gunned down? Or Bobby Kennedy? We should all be grateful all this mad man had was a handgun and not a UHaul truck full of explosives. This guy was going to make this kind of a statement, this kind of horrendous act, regaurdless of the law. I do not believe limiting magazine size on weapons is the answer here. It only takes one shot.

I don't believe the 2nd Amendment is perfect. You can't have everyone in downtown Los Angeles walking around with MP5's or AK-47s. But don't chip away at the Constitution with petty laws, re-amend it. The problem is how did this insane man get a gun. I think a in depth test that weeds out the mentally ill would help. Once a law abiding citizen had passed this test he should be free to buy the weapons he desires on the spot. I don't believe people on welfare or other non contributing members of society should have guns.

Just my thoughts.

top topics

join