It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montana law to make Federal law enforcement ask; "Mother may I".

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is an awesome idea for the States to take back control from the evil, all pervasive Federal Government; Montana proposes a law to make it illegal for any Federal law enforcement agency to work in the state without first getting approval from the local sheriff.

The best part is; if the Feds come in without the Sheriff's approval, they can be charged with crimes for operating outside the law!

Lawmaker's new proposal would hit feds with charges

Tells IRS, DEA, BATFE agents to get authorization for arrests from sheriffs

A new legislative proposal would declare that the state's local county sheriffs are the pre-eminent law enforcement authority in their jurisdictions, and federal agents such as those working for the Internal Revenue Service, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Drug Enforcement Administration, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and others, would be required to get permission from them before they could take any action.

The proposal, Senate Bill 114, is called "An act regulating arrests, searches, and seizures by federal employees; providing that federal employees must obtain the county sheriff's permission to arrest, search, and seize; providing exceptions; providing for prosecution of federal employees violating this act; rejecting federal laws purporting to give federal employees the authority of a county sheriff in this state; and providing an immediate effective date."

Inside that mouthful of provisions is a requirement that federal agents work through and get permission from sheriffs before taking any action to arrest anyone, seize any object or search anywhere. And it includes a promise of consequences if that is not followed:

"An arrest, search, or seizure or attempted arrest, search, or seizure in violation of [section 2] is unlawful, and the persons involved must be prosecuted by the county attorney for kidnapping if an arrest or attempted arrest occurred, for trespass if a search or attempted search occurred, for theft if a seizure or attempted seizure occurred, and for any applicable homicide offense if loss of life occurred. The persons involved must also be charged with any other applicable criminal offense in Title 45," the bill explains.

WND

The Federal Government is already set to challenge this law in court, if it passes, and its set up to go to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals where its sure to get shot down by that group of judicial activists but, hopefully, they stick this one out and fight all the way to the Supreme Court.

edit on 1/12/11 by FortAnthem because: :bnghd:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Could be the best idea anyone has had since they thought up the internet.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I wonder; if the DEA did a drug raid without the sheriff's permission, could they be charged with theft AND drug possession?

The possibilities for this law are endless. I hope it passes and stands up in court.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I have to say, this is one of those threads that just brings a big ol' smile to my face. I just truly like this idea. Now then, no idea is perfect, just as all federal intervention in law enforcement is neither intrinsically evil or oppressive, and I'm certain that if this were to be put into effect there would be abuses. That just seems to be the nature of the beast. Still, I think that the potentiality for abuses at the state and local level, in my humble opinion, seem to outweight the apparent rampant abuses currently in practice at the federal level.

Thanks for the post, and make sure to keep our community updated! Peace...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Brilliant idea!

It should also have a "please state your business and intention" requirement
prior to Feds entering the state.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
sounds great but good luck making this work
every sate should adopt this

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I'm an anarchist, but that's still awesome hahah.

love it.

You know, the locals have an extremely strong case. It wouldn't surprise me if the court was forced to rule in their favor no matter how much those tyrant pigs on the 9th circuit want to vote otherwise.

The 9th will have to do some constitutional backflips to give the feds the right to over-ride the Sheriffs.

edit on 12-1-2011 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
This law would put the local sheriff in a incredibly powerful position. He would be the one deciding what is to be investigated and is open to interfere with investigations. If this law goes through makes sure you are paying off the sheriff to keep your illegal activities on the hush.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
This law would put the local sheriff in a incredibly powerful position. He would be the one deciding what is to be investigated and is open to interfere with investigations. If this law goes through makes sure you are paying off the sheriff to keep your illegal activities on the hush.

Unlike federal agents, or even local police officers, the Sheriff is a duly elected official. Federal agents, and police officers are employees of administrative agencies, and are far to comfortably buffered from Constitutional restraints. Sheriff's are not. Sheriff's are answerable directly to the people. This means the mayor, or even the Governor of a state has no authority over a Sheriff. This means that Sheriff's all ready have a powerful position, and that power is to protect the people in ways other politicians merely pay lip service to.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I have said this in other posts. Your sheriff has more power then the president
of USA. The President, has to have the OK from the sheriff, to come into
his county.
The people vote the sheriff to represent them. He is to protect his counties
people. That our constitutional laws are not broken. The only ones that I know
of that can arrest you with out the sheriff present are the US Marshall's. They
are under the state laws in which you live.
Their could be new laws, that I do not know about.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

The role of a sheriff is important being a respected and valued member of the community. My concern is how this law will monopolise the actions of law enforcement within a state. The implications will introduce conflicts of interest that can and do arise when any role is monopolised.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
This is taking states’ rights to an all new level… and I love it!

I can’t wait for the Obama administration and the other federal bureaucrats to have a heart attack over this issue. If it survives the courts ambush then we can expect these laws to pop up in every state across the nation, whether or not it passes.

This is one way for the states to exercise their rights under the 10th amendment.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I am happy, that your happy with this posters thread.
We read a lot of negative things here about America.
That fact is, It is still the greatest nation on earth. The fact
every law that was written or amended to the Constitution,
has a back door. Guess, where it goes, back to the Constitution.
If you are ever convicted of a crime, make sure you go trial by
jury. Why, because they represent the American people voice.
Some cases the jury, make a mistake on guilty verdict. If innocent
keep appealing the verdict.
The more laws the Fed's dream up. The more us citizens of America
need to study the law. You fight fire with fire, I was told as a child.
And the fire has no place to go.
Advice for the younger generation, learn the law and live by it!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It seems to me, this is nothing new. As a few others have already pointed out, Sheriffs always had the power to stop the feds in their county, just many/most choose not to get in the way of federal operations. This is just another attempt at asserting that power over the fed. gov't., much like the 10th amendment bills some states have introduced.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Originally posted by kwakakev

Unlike federal agents, or even local police officers, the Sheriff is a duly elected official. Federal agents, and police officers are employees of administrative agencies, and are far to comfortably buffered from Constitutional restraints. Sheriff's are not. Sheriff's are answerable directly to the people. This means the mayor, or even the Governor of a state has no authority over a Sheriff. This means that Sheriff's all ready have a powerful position, and that power is to protect the people in ways other politicians merely pay lip service to.

John Paul as usual, you have a complete understanding of this. That is absolutely true. The Sheriff is elected by the people, he is not an employee of the corporation known as CORP. U.S. The Sheriff and the Notary are the real power in any county.
I personally think it's great that the States are taking back their power at long last. This illegal Federal seizure scam has gone way too far.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Wouldn't this "jive" with state fusion centers that house FBI,Local sherif,State police, and DHS? Or would data collection/sharing not really be affected?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Ya know, I was having a really bad morning today! But now, I'm in a pretty darn good mood! I hope they are the leading example much like AZ., with their immigrations laws enacted, Montana, leads the way in the State's rights to take over their respective jurisdictions. I think all states should declare sovereign nation.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

This illegal Federal seizure scam has gone way too far.

Is this what it is all about? I have heard some stories that the cops are now the biggest crooks just taking what they want, another problem due to the conflicts introduced by monopolization. With no checks and balances things go to hell pretty quick.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I love monta we are a self sustainig state, and we dont take anyones garbage not even the feds or the government, Go Montana...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

That is a great idea! Best piece of news I've read all day, thanks!

Hope it comes to fruition!

Khar

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join