It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David-Besse Nuclear plant -- Possible terror target?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
-Possible Target? Or me being paranoid?

Not sure whats going on here, but over the past 3 days I've seen alot of military traffic pass through the city. I know of a military base on the Lake Erie shore, and we occasionally get a few military trucks pass through the city but none so as much as this week. I've seen several caravans of US Army trucks barrelling down the highway and through my city. Odd.

What is even more odd, is today I saw 4 Red Cross 'Disaster Relief' trucks following behind a small army caravan..

And, even moreso weird, and actually quite frightening, I was on my 24' FourWinns (boat) on the lake with my wife and kids last weekend, and we occasionally visit the nuclear plant (off shore of course) for some sight seeing.. (looks really badass, I'll take my digicam next time!) anyhow, last weekend (July 2nd) we were idling in the water about 200ft from the shore, and dully noted another boat in the area. This boat fired a shot at us! The unmarked boat fired a bullet towards my family, then got on a loud speaker and stated that it was a warning shot and that I was to leave the area! They fired a bullet at me and my family! .. I left full throttle, quite pissed!
I shrugged it off as over paranoid holiday weekend security.. but nonetheless I was quite pissed.

Only thing I can think of, is maybe the gov't has some link regarding a possible attack on the David Besse nuclear power plant? I've been to this same spot several times with my boat.. never before was I asked to leave; or fired upon for that matter. No where in the Lake Erie Coast Guard material does it state that we cannot approach this area. (it does state however that we can't come within 100yards of the military base.)

I'm sure you guys have read about the plant, it was all over the news regarding an acid leak that almost ate through the lid..

www.ems.org...

The Davis-Besse plant is a single unit reactor located east of Toledo in Oak Harbor, Ohio, on the shore of Lake Erie. The site covers 954 acres of which 733 acres is leased to the U.S. government for a National Wildlife Refuge. The site is licensed for dry storage of spent nuclear fuel and had 3 casks as of March 2000.

If you want my personal opinion, this plant is very very prone to an attack. The main road from my city to Toledo is route 6, which comes within 100yards of the huge cooling tower.. would be nothing for someone to drive a truck packed with explosives through the gates into the tower :x

Aerial map: http:// terraserver.microsoft.com/addressimage.aspx?t=1&s=12&alon=-83.14667265&alat=41.50672149&w=1&ref=A%7cOakharbor%2c+Ohio&Lon=-83.0909044166&Lat=41.597251 4054

(delete the space in the last set of numbers 41.597251 4054 not sure why its posting this way)

Anyhow, I've grabbed my digicam and I've been taking it everywhere I go.. when/if I get a chance I'll snap some pics of the caravans. I know about how demanding ATS is for proof

[edit on 9-7-2004 by rwsdakota]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yes it is a possible target, any place is.

I live in Toledo. I have driven past the plant many times.

I remember reading in the paper that any boats that approach the plant would be fired upon. I do not remember at what range, but they made it clear that no one was to "get close" in a boat or otherwise.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
They a re doing a practice run. My mom works security there and she pissed now because she actually has to do something. Since 9/11 all she had to do was make sure the guy in camo and carrying a gun had a id badge. Besides, Davis-Besse is closed, no need to worry about radiation for it is shut down. It would be like hijacking a train with no fuel and no means of making it move.

And dude, of course they shot at you! That is why the national guard is there, to guard Davis Besse! Be lucky they didn't arrest you like they did to a guy who was trolling for fish and got to close. And I wouldn't reccomend taking pictures, it isn't a good idea first of all, second, it isn't all that cool looking. I been there, beyond the fences and stuff with my mom and stuff. It's a few grey buildings and a reactor and cooling tower.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I was under the impression it was already restarted.

Actually, yeah, the huge plums of smoke coming from the towers musta meant something..

www.keepmedia.com...

Ohio nuke plant gets approval to restart
by Gary Stoller | Mar 09 '04

The federal government Monday approved restarting the Davis-Besse nuclear power plant in Ohio, which has been shut down for two years to correct safety problems.
FirstEnergy, the plant's owner-operator, says it began steps to restart the plant's reactor and expects it to begin producing electricity later this week. It should be operating at full capacity within two weeks.

So your mom works there and doesnt know it already started back up? And she's security? Hmm.. I feel even more safe now.

top topics

join