It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Who Tackled Loughner Interviewed - Guess What?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
is it just me or did he say he ran out the building to grab the gun off the wrong person then jump on the person that other people had already got on to the floor??

If i did hear it right he did nothing?

correct me if im wrong tho

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I hope anti-gun people get to see this and realize there are citizens like this carrying guns which PROTECT them, not just the guys you see on the news or read about in the crime section.

Remember, there are THOUSANDS of people across Arizona carrying heat everyday, and the VAST majority of them are carrying it for protection, theirs as well as yours.

And like the guy says, criminals are going to have guns, and laws only prevent those who follow them from being armed too.

edit on 13-1-2011 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Oh that Rye....what it makes one do.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
When I took my ccw class. The instructor said to empty the clip into center of mass.
I told him, I disagreed with him. He asked me why? I said, criminal's can buy bullet
proof vest off ebay cheap. I said, I'd shoot two rounds to chest, if needed 3RD be a head shot.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Thanks for the thread, OP. Good discussion here.

Some members have suggested that a transcript of the interview would be useful so I've written one up. Where the the names are shown with no line break it means they were speaking at the same time.

ES = Ed Schultz
JZ = Joe Zamudio

(Transcript begins from tape time of 2 minutes, 13 seconds.)

ES: Welcome back the Ed Show. President Obama's speaking this afternoon. As the horrific shooting unfolded in Tuscon on Saturday, a few heroic individuals rushed into the line of fire, risking their lives to prevent even more deaths. One of the people who helped wrestle the gunman was -- to the ground -- was Joe Zamudio, who joins us now on the Ed Show tonight. Joe, you are a hero. Thank you for doing what you did. You saved lives.

JZ: Thank you. Umm... I -- I didn't think about it. I just did what needed to be done. I went to go help. I carry a gun so I was -- I felt like I was a little bit more prepared to err -- do some good than uh, maybe somebody else would've been. Umm... honestly I didn't think at all.

ES: Joe, take a moment...take a moment and tell us exactly...how it went down. What was the first thing you saw? Did you get in the gunman's face when he was on the ground? Tell us what happened.

JZ: Well, as I came out of the door of the Walgreen, sir, I saw several individuals wrestling with him, and ahh -- I came running, I was already at a full sprint -- and ahh, you know, there's no time to think about anything; I saw another individual holding the firearm and I kind of assumed he was the shooter, so I grabbed his wrist and ahh you know, told him to drop it and forced him to drop the gun on the ground. When he did that, everybody says, "No, no -- it's this guy, it's this guy," and I proceeded to help hold that man down... Umm... You know, he's trying to squirm but not very hard -- at it didn't seem like he was trying very hard to me. I'm a big guy, though, I'm two-twenty and I was holding him down, so --

ES: Did he say any --
JZ: -- he wasn't going anywhere...

ES: -- Joe, did he say anything? Did he mutter any words, did he show any expression at all?

JZ: No expression. His face was the same the whole time. Even when he complained, he says "Ow, ow, you're hurting my arm," it -- I didn't ev-- it seems like it -- ahh -- other-worldly, it didn't even seem like it came from him, because his face stayed -- calm. He was...emotionless.

ES: How chaotic was it?

JZ: It was pretty chaotic. I mean, there was...a lot of people wounded; there was blood everywhere. It was really...disturbing thing to witness...the most disturbing thing I've ever been a part of in my life... Umm... All those people hurting and crying, and, and -- asking for loved ones... I mean, this is a horrible event, it's a terrible thing for our community.

ES: Did you ever think of drawing your firearm, or you made the determination you didn't have to?

JZ: Sir, when I came through the door, I had my hand on the butt of my pistol and I'd clicked the safety off. I was ready to kill him. But I didn't have to do that and I was very blessed that I didn't have to go to that place. Luckily they'd already begun the... solution, so all I had to do was help...umm... If they hadn't grabbed him and he was still moving, I would've shot him.

ES: Joe --
JZ: -- I would've shot the man holding the gun.

ES: You would've used that firearm. (Transcriber's note: this was said as a statement and not a question, hence no question mark. Mike.)

JZ: You're damned right. This is my country, this is my c- this is my town; you don't get to walk around hurting people, killing innocents and little girls... That's not right, man.

ES: It's horrific.

ES: How do you feel about the --
JZ: It's not right...

ES: How do you feel about the gun laws in Arizona?

JZ: You know I -- I carry a gun everywhere I go, sir. Honestly, I believe that errr... you can make as many laws as you want; people who want guns are gonna get 'em. You know, laws aren't made for crim-- aren't made for us, they're made for criminals, and criminals can get guns...any way they want. So, you can make as many laws as you want and they're just not gonna stop anybody. They can bring it across the border from Mexico, they could -- you can get an old one that's not registered, you can steal one, you can -- I mean -- you can buy it out of a trunk. There's no shortage of firearms; that's no gonna -- that's not the solution. The solution is helping people, it's taking care of people. You know, not leaving these lone wolf gunmen out to be lone wolves. I mean, he shouldn't be in a situation where he's so alone, that...this is his only solution. I think that our -- our answer is to help people, and not argue over whether or not we're allowed to own guns. We live in America, we're allowed to own guns. It's not a -- option.

ES: J-
JZ: Ummm...I think the.... Go ahead.

ES: Joe, I'm out of time on this segment tonight. I just want to thank you for what you did...
JZ: Thank you.

ES: ...it was very courageous, and ahh... you saved lives. Joe Zamudio here with us tonight on the Ed Show. Thank you, Joe.

(Interview Ends)

A courageous young man in my opinion and one with a lot of good solid sense and decent morals. Even if others had already begun the task of subduing the shooter, in a case like this the situation was still fluid and dangerous. Hats off to him.

Mike

edit on 13/1/11 by JustMike because: of typos. (No surprise!)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Reply to post by 19rn50

That's kind of silly for both of you.

I've worked in the instruction field for years and never heard the "empty your clip" line from any instructor. The. I've also never met one of those idiot instructors who blow their heads off in front of their classes either. Love those guys.

Vest or no vest the threat is going down. It may not die from punctures but I will be screaming in agony over bruised organs and broken ribs.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Amazing to watch people's differing perceptions over the same thing. It is worth noting that the atrocity was committed by a lawfully held gun and the man in the video only said he carries a lawfully concealed weapon but never used it.

Logically if guns where illegal to be owned by private citizens then both the killer and the hero citizen would not have weapons.

Granted that criminals will always seek out weapons but many get arrested along the way. There is no claim that Loughner was a hardened criminal or had gang affiliations.

In the UK the penalties for owning an illegal gun is so harsh that even criminals stay away from them. Criminal enforcers even hire clean skin bagmen to hold and transport simple hand guns on rare occasions.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You do what ever you need to stop the threat. You really think someone drugged
up with a vest is going to say ouch with a 9mm. Vietnamese drugged up with inter tubes
wrapped around chest is hard to stop with a M16 in full auto.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I wonder if Joe Zamudio is a military veteran because he looks like one.
If he is not i think the military would take him anytime.
A number of police departments would also hire him

Firing on a Shooter in a crowd is one of the worst possible self defence scenarios.
The best option is to drop flat on the ground and shoot upwards if you have to take the shot.

Other wise you have to close with the suspect and put your gun against him and fire upwards.

A good training course like i had as a federal security office never even covered that.

Its not a scenario i would want to find my self in.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Joe Zamudio is a true hero, I agree with every word he said, particularly his opinion on "loners", I'd love to see him run for office of some type because his attitude is just RIGHT.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Thanks for this thread. It's very thought provoking. I wish it would generate a ton of news so that anti-gun people can see the flip side of the coin.

I have a concealed carry permit. I carry every single day without fail. I pray that I never find myself in a position where I need to use it to protect myself or others, but I'd like to believe that I've practiced enough, trained enough, and have enough situational awareness that I could do so if need be. I would not hesitate to defend myself or those around me.

Good on this guy for stepping up and doing what he could.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadpoolPete

Thing is, this guy hits it right on the head.

Make all the anti-gun laws you want to, but the *only* people who are going to pay *any* attention to those anti-gun laws, are going to be the law abiding, responsible majority of people...the criminals, psychopaths, lone wolves of the world, will *always* be able to get their hands on pretty much any gun the wanted to get.

And then where would that leave the law abiding, responsible majority of people?

That's right, at the mercy of the criminals, nutters and all the rest who will have guns to do with as they please.

At least if the public are armed, they have a chance to defend themselves against these creeps, without them...they've had it if attacked with a gun.

Also has the added bonus of making a dictatorial government think twice before crushing the public too!

Keep the guns...beef up adult social services and community watch schemes to identify people going off the rails, and get them help before they flip.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
What a top bloke he showed restrain this guy should be the sheriff!! He has my respect i wish we had guns in the uk id love to be packin ever where i when't but i am not shore i would of showed the same restraint this guy did i love the bit when he says "This is my country this is my town you don't get to go around hurting people killing innocents and little girls" this guy should be a icon he should run for mayor or something

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
So the reporter brings up veterans with mental issues.. Homeland security says vets are the biggest threats to become domestic terrorists. Wonder when they are going to try and keep vets from getting firearms.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rakkasansct

I heard the same as you did, from the MSM.
Msm needs to get real for once. You have 4 star generals down to
a pvt watching the news about their country. And all vet' have said the
oath to uphold the Constitution. And see the Constitution be tramp-able on.
Yes, I can see the ptb worried about the vet's.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Hi mnemeth1
Joe was great and Ed seems to be a dip chit.

Joe is all about rights of Americans to be armed and just doing what any one should do. Ed the talking horse patty seems to think gun rights are for hunting. Oh look I own all kinds of guns for hunting, I guess guns are now for protection, if you want to believe the conspiracy theories of the NRA.

What a paid off piece a chit Ed is. I have never seen his show and my opinion is just based on this clip. Seems to tell me all I need to know about Ed E it.

Thanks for this post I've been wanting to hear from Pack'n Joe.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by miconATSrender

I agree with you, ed is a democrat and a want to be Rush look a like.
I am surprise he even getting national attention. I love the honor of turning
his talk show OFF.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ilovecatbinlady
Amazing to watch people's differing perceptions over the same thing. It is worth noting that the atrocity was committed by a lawfully held gun and the man in the video only said he carries a lawfully concealed weapon but never used it.

True but we will not disarm all because of one, that would be ludicrous.

Logically if guns where illegal to be owned by private citizens then both the killer and the hero citizen would not have weapons.

This is not logical at all.

Granted that criminals will always seek out weapons but many get arrested along the way. There is no claim that Loughner was a hardened criminal or had gang affiliations.

One does not have to be in a gang or a hardened criminal to be a disgusting piece of chit.
There is always a first crime. Life will never be safe, just the way of the universe.

In the UK the penalties for owning an illegal gun is so harsh that even criminals stay away from them. Criminal enforcers even hire clean skin bagmen to hold and transport simple hand guns on rare occasions.

Yet, Bobbies are packing automatic weapons 24/7 to keep people in their place?
Could not a person kill and take that weapon and empty the clip into a crowd, just to commit suicide by bobby?

I would rather face off a loon with a gun than a whole police gang armed to the teeth and me standing there naked in front of a big lime filled hole. You know. I would have a better chance with the one loon.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

If that wasn't just an idiotic remark I don't know what is.

I guess what he said should be clarified: "RESPONSIBLE". non-insane citizens with guns......

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by redgy
not wanting to spout about gun control debate, though does the responsible person on the street really need such high powered automatic, semi auto weapons of any kind just to use as form of defence in protection situations. if outlawed, would this then prevent some who do these kinds of multi shot shooting sprees,

only a crackdown on these type of guns, registration permits, psych evaluation tests, mandatory safety training courses would help to deter and add as prevention of known nutjobs holding these kinds of high powered firearms and also prevent kills in mass due to the capability detracted of such weapons.
the trigger happy can never be stopped, though the weapon of choice may be preventable in the long run.

Ask Brazil and Mexico how all these restrictions work out. In most South American countries the gun control laws include registration, limits on caliber, extremely restrictive permiting and training. Yet many of these same countrys have much higher murder rates.

Mexico, El Salvador, Brazil, Venezuala, Ecuador, Guatemala, and other restrictive gun countries average 12 or more murders per capita every year. That is about a 260% increase over the USA. Gun restrictions only stop honest people from being able to defend against those that disregard the laws.

As far as outlawing the semi-auto handgun, it won't help at this point. There are entirely too many allready in the country. Even if there wasn't they could be easily broken down and imported. Just ask the Mexican government how well out lawing select fire weapons and RPGs worked for them.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join