It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is masturbation a sin?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

What does eating shrimp got to do with Christianity?...

Nothing at all. Just a troll.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Out of interest, do you believe masturbation is a sin?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Out of interest, do you believe masturbation is a sin?

I already answered that at the beginning of the thread.

"The verse in Genesis isn't about masturbation, it's about not giving a son to a dead brother's wife. if someone could masturbate without thinking of women then it wouldn't be sin. But I can't foresee someone doing the act without lusting in their heart for someone else."

edit on 13-1-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

So you do believe its a sin?

Could you tell me what is wrong with lusting over people?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I am in no way religious, and that is a choice of mine.

Happy with my choice, I can masturbate guilt free because of it!

I really do think though, that anyone who thinks it is a sin, I feel sorry for you. You are missing out on all it has to offer. Which is not only a cheap thrill by the way.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

So you do believe its a sin?

Depends. Are we saying the act is the sin? No, I don't think ejaculating is a sin. It even happens when one is sleeping. Is the thought process while the act is being committed a sin? Yes, lusting for someone you're not married to is a sin. So it all depends on what you're saying. If someone could masturbate and think of steaks, monster trucks, or power tools then no, it would not be a sin. But virtually every time someone masturbates they are lusting for someone.

Could you tell me what is wrong with lusting over people?

Lust

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by theRhenn

What does eating shrimp got to do with Christianity?...

Nothing at all. Just a troll.

Not a troll, but someone who read the bible...which you apparently haven't as thoroughly as I have

Leviticus 11:1-47

And the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying to them, “Speak to the people of Israel, saying, These are the living things that you may eat among all the animals that are on the earth. Whatever parts the hoof and is cloven-footed and chews the cud, among the animals, you may eat. Nevertheless, among those that chew the cud or part the hoof, you shall not eat these: The camel, because it chews the cud but does not part the hoof, is unclean to you. And the rock badger, because it chews the cud but does not part the hoof, is unclean to you. ...

Deuteronomy 14:1-29

“You are the sons of the Lord your God. You shall not cut yourselves or make any baldness on your foreheads for the dead. For you are a people holy to the Lord your God, and the Lord has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth. “You shall not eat any abomination. These are the animals you may eat: the ox, the sheep, the goat, the deer, the gazelle, the roebuck, the wild goat, the ibex, the antelope, and the mountain sheep. ..

Romans 14:1-23

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. ...

Leviticus 11:9

“These you may eat, of all that are in the waters. Everything in the waters that has fins and scales, whether in the seas or in the rivers, you may eat.

Leviticus 11:11

You shall regard them as detestable; you shall not eat any of their flesh, and you shall detest their carcasses.

But as we know, that god creature can be a bit schizophrenic and contradict himself in the same book

Genesis 9:3

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

So given that god clearly isn't sure and therefore said you can...but cannot....but maybe can....or maybe not eat shellfish, it's very clear that Peter seems confused

Acts 10:14

But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.”

And before you say "that's the old testament and only Jews follow it"...well, given that Christians actively use it to explain how the world came to be, I contest your argument. Cherry-picking the parts you like, and abandoning others you don't like, even though you consider the entire thing the "word of god" makes you at best a very dishonest Christian. Don't worry though, the whole thing's a work of fiction anyway, so feel free to cherry pick whatever you like...kinda like the guys playing Dungeons and Dragons picking their favorite game books.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

If people could masturbate and think of steaks, monster trucks, or power tools then no, it would not be a sin.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Depends. Are we saying the act is the sin? No, I don't think ejaculating is a sin. It even happens when one is sleeping. Is the thought process while the act is being committed a sin? Yes, lusting for someone you're not married to is a sin. So it all depends on what you're saying. If someone could masturbate and think of steaks, monster trucks, or power tools then no, it would not be a sin. But virtually every time someone masturbates they are lusting for someone.

I'd glad you mentioned the second part and I was about to bring it up i.e. the act of masturbating over something other than a person. Looks like you beat me to that one...

However:

The dictionary definition of lust is "1) intense or unrestrained sexual craving, or 2) an overwhelming desire or craving."

I do not agree with in the slightest. If I masturbate whilst thinking of someone it means that I'm fantasizing of partaking in a sexual act with that person:

fantasizing present participle of fan·ta·size (Verb) 1. Indulge in daydreaming about something desired. 2. Imagine (something that one wants to happen)

It's not an overwhelming desire or craving in any shape or form; i) that would imply I had no control other it & ii) if it was that intense of a desire then should I'd simply go out and do it.

Big, big difference...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
How good is this,we have been talking about masturbation for nearly 6 pages now!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by lektrofellon

If people could masturbate and think of steaks, monster trucks, or power tools then no, it would not be a sin.

Mhhhhhhhhhh, monster trucks...brb

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

It depends on how you do it. You had to ask?

To think there are so few worthy topics to research, it's now come to this.

Just stop the research, you'll go blind!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

LOL!!!! Did you even read the first sentence in the first verse you posted?

"And the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying to them, “Speak to the people of Israel, "

That's precisely why I said eating shrimp is wrong for the JEWS.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Is it a sin to masturbate while thinking of someone else's monster truck? Does the monster truck have leather seats? What kind of mileage? Is it a "hemi"? Is it a "dirty" monster truck? Or was it freshly washed and waxed? Not that I'm into that, just truck curious. Well, there was that one time back in college........

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hemisphere

Is it a sin to masturbate while thinking of someone else's monster truck? Does the monster truck have leather seats? What kind of mileage? Is it a "hemi"? Is it a "dirty" monster truck? Or was it freshly washed and waxed? Not that I'm into that, just truck curious. Well, there was that one time back in college........

Sir, back away away from the KY jelly.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere

I tried the monster truck thing, didn't do the trick for me...I'm more into tall, slim automobiles like limos.

But wait, are you saying I now have to buy a monster truck so I can fantasize about it??

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

agree, mostly. what is sin... hurting someone? that is the sin , hurting yourself or others. replace the word sin for harm

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Doesn't change the fact that Christians regularly refer to the old testament anyway. Just go read the creationist forum section and count how many times they quote the old testament

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

it's not a sin.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Doesn't change the fact that Christians regularly refer to the old testament anyway. Just go read the creationist forum section and count how many times they quote the old testament

Moot point. The creation of the universe is irrelevant to the covenant with Jacob/"Israel", and the Mosaic Law. The OT is quite useful to Christians for history, prophecy, et cetra. But no Christian still operates under the first covenant, which the dietary laws fall under for the Jews. Christ nailed the first covenant to His cross symbolically. We, Christians operate under the covenant of grace, not the law.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join