It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Review of the bible - by Amazon user.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Found this while "stumbling" (Stumbleupon)

You may find this rather amusing if you've studied the bible or know of it's details:-

This book should never be left where it could fall into the hands of children. Recurrent themes of bloody violence, murder, racism, incest and rape are dealt with extremely irresponsibly. Horrific events are presented as justified by circumstances and as solutions to petty wrongs.

Worse than the depictions in the book are actual historic examples of such depictions being used to justify the worst kind of degradation and humiliation that humans have ever been forced to endure. These acts are not just inspired by this book, but characters in the book urge its readers to follow its example. Worst of all, however, is that, despite this book's obvious lack of coherent logic or sense, it inexplicably possesses a following of people that somehow find comfort in its horror.

No doubt about it, the horrific images, and lack of intelligent discussion of those images, contained in this book makes it entirely unsuitable for children, or sensible adults.

It is very doubtful that a book that meanders so terribly, and contradicts itself so often, is truly inspired by a deity. What you will read in here can be found in other mythologies. There is nothing truly unique about it.

Upon close scrutiny, we discover that the content of Bible is a compilation of historically and archaeologically unsupportable Myths such as Noah's ark, Abraham, Joseph, David, Solomon, etc.

Source
edit on 12/1/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

I hope that person gets a star

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Theonlywoody

Indeed - it's a shame you can't review a review!

lol.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The bible is the true word of God. Amen.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
For or against the Bible, I think it's pointless.

Just throwing out vague accusations and labeling everything which you disagree with as "evil" is what this person has done.

That is exactly what the "bible thumpers" tend to do isn't it?

So what makes this guy different than a fanatical religious zealot? Nothing!!!

They are both 100% convinced their point of view is correct no matter what.
For or Against the Bible. It doesn't matter to me.
You are all just throwing around assumptions and opinions as fact.

If you are tired of the book, ignore it!
Talking bad about it, is still talking about it.
No advertisement is a bad advertisement!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

FAIL!
edit on 12/1/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Check out all the comments at the bottom to this "review" all masked as '[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway.]" Clicky clicky and laugh with me!

You sound so damn british, but the key word is 'damn'[ed]. The fact is that until you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, the Bible will always remain gibberish to you. God has to Call you to Him... perhaps He is calling you, but He did give his children free will, and so you may still be rebelling against Him. I'll pray that you open your heart to God... when you do, then (and only then) will the Word of God become understandable to you. Otherwise, not. That's the way it is.

EDIT: HAHA! This is for "Holy Bible: New American Standard Bible (NASB) (Kindle Edition)" LOVE IT! Kindles... ha...
edit on 12-1-2011 by igigi because: .

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish
The bible is the [true] word of [God. A]men.

I'd agree if you delete what's between the square brackets.

edit on 12/1/2011 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

So what makes this guy different than a fanatical religious zealot? Nothing!!!

He doesn't pretend he knows something he could possibly not, he's honest and up-front about what is actually in the bible. Like many, he realises the immoral preachings.

This man may not be an Atheist, but Atheism has no goals or dogma, it has nothing to preach. Individual people may have reasons to dislike the bible whether they believe in a personal God or not.

They are both 100% convinced their point of view is correct no matter what.

Not all Atheists.

There is such a thing as Agnostic Atheist, which admits man is not in a place to know the source of creation therefore they will wait until EVIDENCE emerges that verifies a God before renouncing their Atheism.

Based on current knowledge and understanding there are 3 possible outcomes to the big question:-

1) There is no God.

2) There is a God

3) There is a God, and Christianity has the truth, and more specifically Catholicism.

Personally, as we don't currently know, i don't buy number 3 and i think it's wrong to ask for respect, and whats worse is to claim it as truth.

I think organised religion is inherently irrational and it's not something we should be indoctrinating our children with. I'd rather let them make up their own mind.

This is what most atheists are against. Agnostic and Gnostic Atheists alike.

We don't know whether God exists, but some men know that it exists, and what specific morals qualify you for an afterlife, i say it's nonsense and i care not if you are offended.
edit on 12/1/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

I'd agree if you delete what's between the square brackets

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

The thing is though, the bible does contain acts such as incest, genocide, rape, murder.... so you can see were he's coming from.

It even has a passage of a man calling on god to kill some kids because they called him bald. God then sends down a bear and kills them all FFS

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by igigi

Thanks friend, i overlooked that section, i'm just having a chuckle at the "Unhelpful psots" too.

I quite liked this one;

You sound so damn british, but the key word is 'damn'[ed].

Such a wit.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Haha, that guy is awesome for posting that, finally, an accurate review of the bible, it's only taken 400 years...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Are these words from a loving being?

“I will corrupt your seed and
spread dung upon your faces!”
Mala 2:3

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4
direct quote from YAHWEH

“The Lord is a man of War!”
Exodus 15:3

"...They shall fall by the sword:
their infants shall be dashed in
pieces, and their women with child
(pregnant) shall be ripped up!"
direct quote from YHWH -- Hosea 13:16

"Their children shall be dashed
to pieces before their eyes!
There houses spoiled, and their
wives raped...Dash the young men
to pieces...have no pity on the
fruit of the womb, the children
shall not be spared"
-- Isa 13:16-18

“Happy shall he be, that taketh
and dasheth thy little ones against
the stones.” --Psalms 137:9

“Then it shall be, that whatsoever
cometh forth of the doors of my
house to meet me, when I return...shall
surely be the Lord's, and I will
offer it up for a burnt offering.”
--Judges 11:31

Leviticus 26:29 “And ye shall
eat the flesh of your sons, and
the flesh of your daughters shall
ye eat.”

“And thou shalt eat the fruit of
thine own body, the flesh of thy
sons and of thy daughters, which
the Lord thy God hath given thee,...”
-- Deuteronomy 28:53

"This woman said to me, 'Give your
son, that we may eat him today, and
we will eat my son tomorrow.' So we
boiled my son, and ate him. And on
the next day I said to her, 'Give
your son, that we may eat him'; but
she has hidden her son." When the
king heard the words of the woman
he rent his clothes. . . and said,
"This trouble is from the Lord! . . . "
--2 Kings 6:28-30

Wow gives me a warm fuzzy feeling........................no wait thats nausea

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
That's why the Church off-balances the "crazy vengeful God" of the Old Testament with the cool, clean, popped-collar God/Jesus of the New Testament!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Best review ever

I love when you ask Christians about how life came to be, they quote genesis in the old testament...yet when you criticize God's racist and evil actions in the old testament, they say "we follow the new testament".

I guess cherry-picking whatever parts you like is perfectly fine if it allows you to ignore all the rape, violence, eugenics, and slavery condoned by God.
edit on 13-1-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

The Bible is a collection of stories and myths from many different cultures and civilizations over several thousand years. "God" (job description, not a proper title) did not write ANY BOOKS whatsoever! So stop saying that he did. And to say "Amen," is to give credence to Amun Re, the Egyptian Sun God. You should say, "Hail to thee who art Re, God of the Sun, who rides across the Heavens in his chariot each day to bring life to us." Re, or Ra, wasn't really a god, but the Egyptians certainly thought he was.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

the bible in my opinion is the word of god and also the word of the lord god. i want to post more on this subject but it might be best i remain cautious since im so new to this site. i have a wealth of knowledge to share with everyone here. some things are already known by most and other things will bring enlightenment to those who dont have a complete understanding of the book. respond to me if your interested in hearing more.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by edenstruth

Didn't your God condone the genocide of the Amalekites?

Why didn't God command humans NOT to enslave each other?, In fact, why did your God actively condone the slavery of people?

Why are the punishments so severe especially for sometimes minor "sins"? Does god not believe in redemption? (of course you'll say he does and cherry pick the bible)

Why should i believe the bible? Have you got any other "evidence"?

If your religion is the "TRUE" religion or best description of God and his wishes, then are non-believers of that bible going to burn for eternity?

Bear in mind, if anyone could answer my concerns or questions in regards to religion then i wouldn't be an Atheist. No man can know of wisdom beyond himself, not even me. It's not my place to say whether God exists or not, but neither is it religions, it's fraud and deception.

Maybe your superior knowledge of the bible can reign supreme and satisfy the above ponderings.

If you believe the bible is the word of God then you believe homosexuals should be stoned for their sexual activities, you believe that genocide, slavery and human sacrificies are not morally detestable. I feel sad for you that you would believe this nonense - I really am.
edit on 13/1/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

sorry to burst your bubble but im not religious. im a realist. i feel i have an uderstanding of the bible that goes deeper than religion. my understanding of man is derived from the book of genenis, my last name being eden. i understand why theres a missing link. and why we are here. bible thumpers want to suppress this idealism. all the iniquities in our world are man creations. the concept of (god) a high power doesnt cause evilness in man. his own fears and desires do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join