It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Do We Really Know About The Detection Of ExtraTerrestrial Life And The Consequences For Society

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
With the recent study released from The Royal Society that concludes the Study: If Aliens Exist, They Probably Want To Destroy Us I would like to open a disucssion of the study material, and also other serious research, discussion and debate.

ATS has an untold number of threads on Alien life. Untold numbers on Disclosure.
Lets try to keep this thread focused on Alien Life and all the reasonable aspects rather than Disclosure.

This effort intended to bring about some serious responses and research, and hopefully collaberation.

In the new study just released titled The Detection Of Extra-Terrestrial Life And The Consequences For Science And Society we find our opener.

Let us suppose that life beyond Earth does exist. In order to detect it, we encounter substantial difficulties when aiming to define its characteristics, and in selecting signatures that are certainly incompatible with an abiogenic origin. Organic molecules with a carbon skeleton that are stable on geological time-scales form ‘chemical fossils’ that constitute an early record of life on Earth. Moreover, measured carbon isotope ratios in sedimentary rocks suggest the presence of microbial life already 3.8 billion years ago ([36]; cf. [17]). It, however, requires biological material to determine whether life is truly ‘alien’, i.e. belonging to a ‘tree of life’ distinct from that of life on Earth

rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org...

There is reason to be wary of such creatures, according to Conway Morris.

"If intelligent aliens exist, they will look just like us, and given our far-from-glorious history, this should give us pause for thought," he writes in the study, which was published today (Jan. 10) in the journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society

Stephen Hawking says if aliens exist, they may come for us.

Reaching out to the stars with our messages of curiosity and peace may only make it easier for an advanced alien mining operation to stake a claim on Earth, said famous physicist Stephen Hawking in his new television series "Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking."
www.space.com...
www.space.com...

And nearly timed in its release

presenting the other side of the coin -

"A California psychologist says human beings may be ready to accept evidence of extra-terrestrial intelligence without widespread panic.

Dr. Albert Harrison of the University of California`s Davis campus said such a discovery `may be far less startling for generations that have been brought up with word processors, electronic calculators, avatars and cellphones as compared with earlier generations,` The Scotsman reported Tuesday.`"

We also have as of late the idea that if Aliens are disclosed as hostile, it may be a staged "false flag" and that in reality they are freindly.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

thesop.org...

www.upi.com...

If Aliens exist, they may likely be Interdimensional. Some consider them to be hyperdimensional.
www.montalk.net...
www.ufodigest.com...

In keeping with the Interdimensional aspect, "Aliens" may not exist at all, which is an integral part of this discussion.
edit on 12-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
In the end, we really don't know jack about anything.

We have no clue what parameters we should go about detecting aliens, nor do we have even the slightest clues what contact would have in store for us.

It will all be a surprise, in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Alien life is a mixed bag I'm thinking.

But lets be honest, what is the driven desire of humanity - It is to be safe, happy, love, fed, warm ect.

Its likely that beings higher up on the chain of development wouldn't have a need for destroying beings who are land locked on their own planet.

The aliens that would want to destroy us, are likely on their own planet - trapped as it were - just like us.

But that doesnt mean they couldn't use non physical means of interacting with us, which could account for the multidimensional phenomena and much of the mainstream experiences of malevolent spirits.

Or hey, maybe there are battle cruisers moving through the universe, destroying planets for fun.

Everything is possible - Lets put it this way - We must be open to whatever comes - Trust nothing but ourselves.

You can bet your arss if an armada comes - The problems in Gaza wont be so pressing.
edit on 12-1-2011 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Right now they are still casing the joint out.They hover,map out terrain,hover over a different area,map out more terrain.They have a big challenge ahead of them to take over earth.We will rise to the occassion.We will not be defeated.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

How challenging could it be?

All you gotta do is create a airborne high-fatality virus. And then put it somewhere that humans will get it.
And then wait a few weeks while they all die.

Advanced Aliens would surely be smart enough to do this.

What you expect them to fight hand to hand? No. lol.

And if they did want to fight hand to hand, guess what? They will have force fields (mass barriers). Most of our weapons will just deflect off and be useless.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
As far as I know the Universe is infinite. There are an infinite number of Alien species and outcomes of contact. There could be benevolent, malevolent, maybe they will go right past us, maybe they are already here. There are too many variables and not enough known facts for me to come to any conclusions. I am sure there are people out there that know way more and if they did it would be nice if they came forward with factual evidence so everyone can be on the same page instead of all over the place. I wish I knew more on the subject but everything is shrouded in so much mystery. Maybe we should just wait and see what happens, maybe it not what you think it's going to be, maybe no one on Earth really knows for fact Alien life exhists and we are on a ghost hunt for truth. Real, factual evidence on Earth may not exhist. Maybe Earth is the origin of all life in the Universe.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

We have no clue what parameters we should go about detecting aliens, nor do we have even the slightest clues what contact would have in store for us.

Granted there are so many different theories out there. Negative “aliens” as the reptilians, grays, mantids, nordics; ets all theories.

But lets establish that we know that in the recent years, there is a push from the higher ups that Aliens do exist.

And they have also let us know that we can expect disclosure. Not that they may ever delilver it - however I do think we will see an attempt however manipulated it may be.

The Catholic Church and The Vatican

Now The Royal Society.

We may not be able to set the same parameters for every theory, however it seems we could have set parameters for each different theory. Thats my thought.

And there are a lot of theories.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
reply to post by brindle

How challenging could it be?

All you gotta do is create a airborne high-fatality virus. And then put it somewhere that humans will get it.
And then wait a few weeks while they all die.

Advanced Aliens would surely be smart enough to do this.

What you expect them to fight hand to hand? No. lol.

And if they did want to fight hand to hand, guess what? They will have force fields (mass barriers). Most of our weapons will just deflect off and be useless.
They already tried the virus thing twice.The great plaque of the 1400s killed half the people in europe.Huge crafts were reported flying overheard dispersing liquids and mists prior to the plaque.It was unsuccessful.The 2nd attempt was the aids virus,again unsuccessful.We will not be defeated .

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I've always thought of it this way:

If we discovered a planet in a far away galaxy, or even at the other end of our own, which was orbiting a star similar to ours. It resided within the goldilocks zone and had an ample supply of liquid water, with a similar proportion of land. Would it be unreasonable to suggest that life would not exist there?

Detecting alien life however would be far more difficult. We can tell what type of elements are on a planet by the energy coming from it. We can't tell if this is artificial or natural, at least to my understanding, unless we send a probe there.

As for the society aspect, it could have the potential for a repeat of the war of the worlds scenario where people committed mass suicides, in the 30's was it? The Roman Catholic church has issued a sort of get out clause with the statement they made last year. As for other religions I can see people leaving them and abandoning god, although not everyone will. I know I'll personally be telling every person who ever said aliens were not real to go **** themselves

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus
reply to post by burntheships

But lets be honest, what is the driven desire of humanity - It is to be safe, happy, love, fed, warm ect.

Its likely that beings higher up on the chain of development wouldn't have a need for destroying beings who are land locked on their own planet.

Maybe its about control of the masses - deception rather than destruction - just a thought.

You can bet your arss if an armada comes - The problems in Gaza wont be so pressing.

Yah, and it could be a weighty weapon when and if its wielded.
edit on 12-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
Huge crafts were reported flying overheard dispersing liquids and mists prior to the plaque.It was unsuccessful.The 2nd attempt was the aids virus,again unsuccessful.We will not be defeated .

If you understand molecular genetics and virology (and I do) it is easy to create a far better biological weapon than AIDS. Your theory is complete bunk.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
Right now they are still casing the joint out.

You may be right, in that sense they could be here but not showing themselves yet.
Or at least laying low.

That would tie into the higher ups doing the control thing with all of the
Dislosure hype. Testing the waters so to speak.

I found this interesting...published at roughly the same date as The Study in the OP -

Modern Earthlings Would Ge Unfazed By An Alien Landing

People had been getting used to the idea of ET since the Seti (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) project first began listening out for alien radio signals 50 years ago, said Dr Harrison. Today, surveys suggested that half the population of the US and Europe believe extra- terrestrials exist, and a "substantial proportion" were convinced alien spacecraft had already visited the Earth.

As long ago as the 1840s a popular New York newspaper reported on the discovery of "batmen" on the Moon. Later it was widely accepted that astronomers had found evidence of canals built by a dying civilisation on Mars.

In the 1960s scientists suspected that quasars and pulsars, galaxies and stars that emit powerful bursts of energy might be intelligently controlled, said Dr Harrison. And in 1996 the American space agency Nasa announced it had found fossil evidence of life on Mars, in the form of a meteorite containing alien bugs.

"Society has been unfazed by batmen on the Moon, the canals of Mars, discoveries of quasars and pulsars, claims that a fossil arrived from Mars, and bogus announcements of Seti detections," Dr Harrison wrote.

In North America and Europe at least, neither the discovery of an alien specimen nor the detection of a "dial tone at a distance" were likely to lead to "widespread psychological disintegration and collapse".

news.scotsman.com...

That would be next to best case scenario for them...

Heh heh best case for them is we welcome them with open arms and surrender everything.
Our species, our resources, the planet.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This OP has the potential for some great discussion...I wish I had a little more mental 'oomph' right now. Actually, it might be over my head anyway. So, I'll keep reading to learn at least.

And I think you might know, burntheships, that I would LOVE to get some Interdimensional Hypothesis discussion going on. I do have one thing to share at the moment, and I apologize to anyone who has had to see it plastered around here a bit by moi. Still and all I think it's relevant in reference to the "You can't handle the truth," hypothesis on why the government would delay disclosure and your quote from 'Modern Earthlings Would Be Unfazed By An Alien Landing' above.

Whatever you think about about Dr. Christopher "Kit" Green--whether he knows anything in regards to this issue or not--I think there are some very interesting points made in the following excerpt from Mirage Men by Mark Pilkington. And I'm also interested in hearing opinions of what Dr. Green might be inferring exactly. I have my own suspicion in that regards.

Dr Christopher 'Kit' Green - "In a country that has a large, educated population there is a large subset of individuals who suffer from what's called paraphrenia. Paraphrenia is a form of mental illness that doesn't interfere with your everyday life. It means that you can have a delusion and not be crazy, a delusion that you can confine and control. Many of us have one corner of the mind that is delusional - I bet you that I do.

'I might, for example, be religious - I'm an Episcopalian, though as such, I am protected from diagnosis, as are all the UFO buffs, because a large social structure of shared beliefs, like a religion, cannot be a delusion. So all those people who believe that they are being beamed at by the government can no longer be diagnosed as crazy - there are just too many of them.

'But, if there is a condition that is threatening to the social structure - like the idea that the aliens are here and they are taking our babies, or that God hates people of a certain creed or colour - and if people who believe in that kind of delusion band together, they can end up encouraging each other to get a lot sicker, or they strap on belts and make themselves human bombs. So we have to know how to deal with these people and how to prevent them from being dangerous to others.

'This applies to the UFO problem. If something really strange in the area of UFOs is true, then what do we do about conveying that information to the public? First we consider what may be the basic facts: maybe there are civilised lifeforms elsewhere in the universe; maybe they visited us in their spaceships a couple of times and then went back home; perhaps they left a vehicle or some technology behind and we've spent a lot of time and money trying to figure out how to use it. And there may be people in the government who believe that this did happen, and believe that the information needs to be public knowledge, because perhaps someone outside of the government will be able to make sense of their technology. But there's another group of people in power who say, "No, it will make them sick to know all this, we can't let the story out, it's too dangerous." '

John and I glanced at each other. My mouth was dry. I felt the temperature drop. Or was it rising? I wasn't sure. Things were getting strange again. Did Kit just tell us that these things happened? Was that a hypothetical scenario he had just presented us with, or one that he believed to be real? Kit continued.

'So, what do we do? There are studies on both sides of the problem. Some show that people will go crazy and jump of bridges when they're presented with this information. Others, however, say that if you don't want them to go crazy, what you do is systematically desensitize their fears.

'If you are a psychiatrist with a patient you can do that in a very methodical way. If you are a sociologist working with a group of students at a university you can do this in a very structured and experimental way. But if you are a government with a population it's a lot more complicated. Sure, there are those who are just going to shrug and say, "I always knew the aliens were real, it's no big deal." But you also know that some of them are nuttier than a fruitcake and could cause a lot of trouble. So we have to ask ourselves how we can tell people what they deserve to know and, maybe, what they need to know?

'The way to do it is to construct a framework whereby they can parse out the things that they've heard that are not true, and you whittle it down to a manageable story. A story like this: "There were three spaceships that came here over thirty years, and we've got one of them. We can't figure out how it works, we've crashed it because there's a lot of physics that we've still got to learn. We do have something that's like a magnethydrodynamic toroid, and it really did get a craft of the ground, but it smelled bad and it killed a couple of pilots. And we're really sorry about that, but we did it because we've got this machine that came from another planet, and we need to know how it works." '

Oh god, he just did it again. I tried to slow my breathing to prevent the giddiness from becoming a full-on panic attack.

Kit carried on, oblivious to my inner struggle. I was glad not to be inside one of his MRI machines.

'How do you tell people that story? If it's true?' he added, almost parenthetically.

"If you were to give them the core story right off the bat, they'd get sick, so you do it slowly over ten or twenty years.You put out a bunch of movies, a bunch of books, a bunch of stories, a bunch of Internet memes about reptilian aliens eating our children, about all the crazy stuff that we've seen recently in Serpo. Then one day you say, "Hey, all that stuff is nonsense, relax, it's not that bad, you don't have to worry, the reality is this..." - and then you give them the real story."

Source: 'Mirage Men' by Mark Pilkington - Constable 2010.
www.amazon.com...

edit on 12-1-2011 by The GUT because: clarification

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

I dont think your in over your head - and thats a great addition early on.

Christopher Green, and yes The Government is involved.
And its not quite so obvious.

It seems The Government has been involved in hoaxing, which would lead us to think they
have a lot to hide, and cover and mislead with disinfo.
www.topsecretwriters.com...

Here is an interview with Green.
paranormal.lovetoknow.com...

I am of the opinion that if Aliens exist it is in an Interdimensional state as opposed to the extraterrestrial hypothesis -ETH.

en.wikipedia.org...

In many ways I am still learning and still a skeptic my self.

Looking forward to some great discussions!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

There is reason to be wary of such creatures, according to Conway Morris.

"If intelligent aliens exist, they will look just like us, and given our far-from-glorious history, this should give us pause for thought," he writes in the study, which was published today (Jan. 10) in the journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society
Does everyone agree that's a completely absurd statement?

I say we won't know what aliens look like until we know what they look like. I've read the hopelessly anthropocentric theories that say they will look just like us, and while I don't think we should rule out the possibility, it seems far more likely that they won't look like us to me. Someone once said, the universe isn't only stranger than we imagine, it's stranger than we CAN imagine, and I expect the same may be true about alien life forms.

I'm not exempt from having anthropocentric biases and tendencies when I speculate about alien life, but even though I don't think they will necessarily look like us, I do suspect the entire range of human behaviors from very good to very evil may also be present among alien species elsewhere in the universe. Or maybe they don't even have a concept of good versus evil and just want to follow the basic evolutionary strategy:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0c7f70b48d00.jpg[/atsimg]

Maybe if they come to earth they're just looking for a new food source? I would like to think otherwise, but you can't rule out the possibility. So some of them may be benevolent, but I agree with Hawking, let's not actively invite them to come here yet, we may not like the result if they aren't as benevolent as we'd hoped. The Mayans who initially welcomed the Spanish Conquistadors (who were "aliens" to the Mayans) certainly lived to regret it.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Funny I had a whole thread devoted too this a couple days ago??

EDIT: Frustration is not with OP as I have told him...
frustration is with a lack of interest with NOW both threads...
I mean if it isnt of Chinese Lanterns and isnt full of pictures then it doesnt deserve the attention of the full community??
edit on 12-1-2011 by antibren because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by antibren

Antibren,

Its great to have met you, I look forward to our discussions.
Oh and I might have forgot to mention that I am a red blooded female.

I say that now, but it seems especially appropriate for this thread.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
We are the only beings created in this Universe. Demons/fallen angels however can of course choose to perhaps inhabit a neighbouring star system etc until the final battle is played out - Satan is deceptive enough and tricky to make that happen. They will come of course and try and fool as many as they can, they are doing this now as you can see by the many many abduction cases, and I am certain they will make some big entrance, but they will not be accepted for they are by christians - people who believe Jesus is king of kings, and lord of lords - who died on the cross to give us the chance at eternal life.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth01

Very interested in that theory. I was wondering have you come across some trusted sources
that you use to guide your thinking in the matter?

Edit to add that I agree with your post in its heart, I am questioning the Alien idea.
And also at the same time I have questions.

If your up to a very polite and courteous discussion, I would welcome it.
I dont know that much yet, and am still confused by the connection between Aliens,
and spacecraft.

Does that make any sense to anyone?

edit on 13-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Thanks burntheships, your actually the first welcoming person to me in ATS with my belief. Check this site out burntheships - www.alienresistance.org...

200 cases plus document the halt of alien abduction. It might not seem like a lot considering all the cases of abduction which exist, but this is abduction posed on people before they were Christian to current. I came to believe what I believe from my own personal experience.

When I was young, 8 years old, I had an encounter myself. The typical alien standing by your bed looking down at you. It frightened me for so long, for so many years - because I didn't know what is was other than being an alien. I couldn't believe it was an alien because of my faith in Jesus, and that God created humanity (only), the world (only) and just how special we are as humans. Then one day I was holy-spirit filled, and came across a video of a pastor ministering about alien deception phenomena. I forgot the guys name, but everything he said was what I needed to hear. If it walks like a demon, talks like a demon - it is a demon. These are the words I remember. Then I came across ce-4, well the cases I read were so similar to mine, but these cases were much worse too. People who were not christian and had been abductees, going through these horrible horrific things 'aliens' put them through, and then one day coming to God and stopping their abductions completely. It is so powerful because more and more people who are coming to Jesus and happened to have abduction experiences are stopping them, they are not frightened anymore and for good reason. God's law cannot be messed with. As humans we are not perfect but with Jesus dying on the cross for us the truth of alien disclosure has come to pass. We can denounce satan/demons in Jesus name, i.e. a spirit-filled Christian calls upon him, he comes immediately and basically they know they are not allowed to be anywhere near you. Like I said before, if it walks like a demon it talks like a demon - it's a demon. Why would something be so afraid of Jesus.

In actual fact, Satan has proved the existence of the Lord with his stupid deception because they are so afraid of our mate Jesus on our side. So anyway, this is my testimony and I will add to this just because someone uses Jesus name in an abduction, it is not whole proof. You need to have a relationship with him, that means truly love him and know he died on the cross, he is our king, our creator. I believe if i was not a Christian, I would have been a typical abductee. For those who do not know it, we are in a spiritual war. Satan hates me because he knows how powerful I am knowing his whole alien agenda is complete fluff, and I want to help as many people out there as possible knowing the truth as well and stopping their horrific experiences by 'greys' etc. The truth is a powerful thing, everyone knows that, but sometimes it is hard to accept.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join