It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 day Linux challenge.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
You can also install it in on a USB drive/stick/thumb drive and use it that way if you're concerned about borking your system.
edit on 12-1-2011 by TinFoilHatMan55 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Then you can keep the other os

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I am a noob.

Everything I want to learn comes 80%from youtube

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Have not tried Ubuntu yet, i might give it a go. Anyone using Fedora? I have had a good experience with it. Anyway i perfer Linux over Windows any day.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I would recommend the 30 day challenge, I have used Ubuntu for well over 3 years now. I Got my boss at Work to trial it over a year ago and the company has used it ever since , and quite a few of the staff now use it on there home computers to . And while I agree with the op that it is a secure system I strongly urge anyone using Linux to install a firewall, And to those who say its only safe because its a minority system and therefore not of interest to virus writers and Hackers, When you Factor in Web severs Linux is not such a minority system and should be a more attractive Target .

any how rant over and well done op

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I installed Ubuntu on an old laptop but have had no success getting it to recognize my Linksys Wireless card. I have done plenty of searches but it seems that what is required may be over my head since I'm used to just executing a driver in Windows.

Edit: Anyone willing to help me get the card working, please U2U me!
edit on 12-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Linux is one of my favorite things about computing.

I use it exclusively at home for internet purposes, and for rock solid servers for any of my clients that have the nerve to try something other than Windows Server products.

I find it's live distribution capability invaluable for things like password reset, data recovery, auditing , etc.

I have switched over countless home users that were frustrated with viruses, malware, licensing issues etc. Once they get the hang of it, they don't seem to have any problems.

Gaming? Getting better, but not so hot. Buy a console.
How do i get Utorrent running in Ubuntu?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehiddentruthseeker
I would recommend the 30 day challenge, I have used Ubuntu for well over 3 years now. I Got my boss at Work to trial it over a year ago and the company has used it ever since , and quite a few of the staff now use it on there home computers to . And while I agree with the op that it is a secure system I strongly urge anyone using Linux to install a firewall, And to those who say its only safe because its a minority system and therefore not of interest to virus writers and Hackers, When you Factor in Web severs Linux is not such a minority system and should be a more attractive Target .

any how rant over and well done op

Whats a good Ubuntu Firewall?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Why dont we use this thread to make Ubuntu smooth and running. With all the usefull ad ons, and how wine works etc. Sort of an helpdesk, by users

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

i would recommend either firestarter or gufw both available in the Ubuntu software centre, gufw is probably the easiest and gufw stands for graphical un-complicated firewall. as a further note i would recommend Linux mint for the less technically minded its based on Ubuntu but has a lot of the media plug ins already installed like flash player and dvd player etc . other than that there is not much difference between the to . I am by no means an Ubuntu expert but i have had years of experience of it on various different computers and am willing to try and help anyone who is having problems

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

sounds a good idea to me . i'm willing to help where i can. not really done much with wine my self i run a few programs with it and i would recommend "play on linux" which is a front end for wine that has lots of popular windows games settings for wine . another way to get windows games to work is to use virtualbox . virtualbox allows you to install a copy of windows on a virtual computer inside linux . i use that to run itunes works a treat

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
I installed Ubuntu on an old laptop but have had no success getting it to recognize my Linksys Wireless card. I have done plenty of searches but it seems that what is required may be over my head since I'm used to just executing a driver in Windows.

Edit: Anyone willing to help me get the card working, please U2U me!
edit on 12-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

if yo can tell me some more about your wireless card i will try and help need things like model number and any thing else you can find out about it. if you have the windows drivers for it you could try ndiswrapper , its quite a good program and makes windows wireless drivers play nice with Linux. a search on your favourite search engine of "ndiswrapper how to Ubuntu" should give you plenty of easy instructions to get this to work

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Can I ask a question about software.

These are the programs I mainly use on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, how well (if at all) would these run with Linux or what would their equivalent be?

FireFox, Photoshop CS4, Dreamweaver, Flash Pro Cs4, Adobe Illustrator CS4, Ulead Video Studio, WampServer (for developing Joomla), Final Draft (script writing) Also twain drivers for my Cannon camera

Anyone know?
edit on 13-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Yup - that 1st video you posted is what I did. As I said, it went fine and the both Ubuntu and Windows worked. I could reboot between them with without a hitch.. I got as far as that vid goes without a problem.

The problem came when Ubuntu did its first big update and I let it install grub. It said grub installed ok and it needed to reboot. But, alas, it fibbed to me. Upon reboot things were far from fine and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth as the boot sector had gotten whacked.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Ubunut comes with it's own torrent client.

Download a .tor file, and click on it. If you don't like the default client, research the name of another you want to try.

Pop a terminal open, and type:

$sudo apt-get install "program name"

w/o the quotation marks.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Really, there is already a firewall installed called IP Tables.

You just have to activate it, and then the GUI interface , i.e. Firestarter (or whatever it is now) , will allow you to configure it.

Ok.Lately It's called UFW - Uncomplicated Firewall

Open a terminal

$sudo ufw enable

If not installed, then

$sudo apt-get install ufw

To disable , it's:

sudo ufw disable

This page will tell you all you want to know:

UFW instructions

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Can I ask a question about software.

These are the programs I mainly use on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, how well (if at all) would these run with Linux or what would their equivalent be?

FireFox, Photoshop CS4, Dreamweaver, Flash Pro Cs4, Adobe Illustrator CS4, Ulead Video Studio, WampServer (for developing Joomla), Final Draft (script writing) Also twain drivers for my Cannon camera

Anyone know?
edit on 13-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

i will look in to these for you but off the top of my head i can tell you the both firefox and google chrome work fine you can run joomla on lampserver instead of wamp server ( I have been running joomla on a lamp server for 2 years with no problems) every camera i have plugged into Ubuntu has just worked without the need to install any further drivers you could try yours using a Ubuntu live cd (Ubuntu will run entirely off a cd without installing to your hard drive , a useful feature to make sure everything is going to work first) I tend to use gimp instead of photoshop its quite a good alternative and has a linux version . CS4 tends to be a bit un predictable from what i hear if your going to try any program in wine then i would suggest installing mscorefonts and adobe fonts you use first also install wine tricks to . not sure about ulead video i know there are several video editors available in the software center . given your requirements it may pay you to try "ubuntu studio" thats geared towards audio video and image editing

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

This link is a pretty good list of software equivalents:

wiki.linuxquestions.org... o_Windows_software

You may not be able to find an analogue to some of the software you described.

That is why having Windows around is still useful.

Choose the best tool for the job.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon

Really, there is already a firewall installed called IP Tables.

You just have to activate it, and then the GUI interface , i.e. Firestarter (or whatever it is now) , will allow you to configure it.

Ok.Lately It's called UFW - Uncomplicated Firewall

Open a terminal

$sudo ufw enable

If not installed, then

$sudo apt-get install ufw

To disable , it's:

sudo ufw disable

This page will tell you all you want to know:

UFW instructions

for new users to ubuntu, Gufw in the software centre provides a graphical user interface for the built in ufw firewall without having to use the terminal

edit on 13-1-2011 by thehiddentruthseeker because: no reason

edit on 13-1-2011 by thehiddentruthseeker because: no reason

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join