It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 day Linux challenge.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I challenge you to download Ubuntu Linux and use it exclusively for 30 days. Then please post your experience.

I love Linux. It's gotten way easier to use over the years. You can safely surf the web without having to worry about viruses or malware infecting your system. Being able to update your software in one place is nice too, no need to worry about going through and updating each program individually.

It's totally free and open source, you can put it on as many computers as you want. No licenses, no restrictions. You can do what you want with it.

If there is a Windows program that you have to run you can use Wine that uses a compatibility layer so you can run Windows programs in Linux.

You can safely dual boot Linux along side Windows just in case you decide Linux isn't for you. Give it a try and see, maybe you will break free from the Microsoft empire.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I completed this challenge with so many Linux distro.... I love Ubuntu as it is the best distro imo.

However..... Wine sucks for gaming......

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I use my PC mainly for gaming.

I have countless PC titles I like to choose from.

I would face many issues if I went over to Linux and attempted to play many of these games as easily as I can right now.

So for the time being, I will stick with my crappy Windows OS until a better gaming OS is developed.
Thanks for the offer though.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I'd LOVE to do this.

I even got so far as downloading the install files for Ubuntu before discovering it won't run most of the hardware services on my laptop. I'm fairly techno-literate but to begin the learning curve of compiling code just to make the basics of my machine work is more that I am willing to do at this point.

Which is sad. I support open-source wherever else I can.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Haha This is so funny.

Last week I installed Ubuntu as a dual boot. Wanted to try it out, its a very cool very easy program.
But just my INTERNET was slowing down, and I thought maybe its vista. I just switch over to Ubuntu, and i open ATS.. And there is this thread.

Posted via Ubuntu

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Linux is one of my favorite things about computing.

I use it exclusively at home for internet purposes, and for rock solid servers for any of my clients that have the nerve to try something other than Windows Server products.

I find it's live distribution capability invaluable for things like password reset, data recovery, auditing , etc.

I have switched over countless home users that were frustrated with viruses, malware, licensing issues etc. Once they get the hang of it, they don't seem to have any problems.

Gaming? Getting better, but not so hot. Buy a console.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Can't I just not do it and say that I did?

I love the idea of swapping over but my XP system has been running pretty stably for about 4 years now and I can't be bothered.

Collapses into a haze of can't be botherdness

edit on 12-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

One quick point re: safety:

-If you run cross-platform software such as Java, you are susceptible to attacks.

-Run a firewall on your Linux box. Don't punch holes in it unless you understand what you are doing.

-By default, Ubuntu is pretty good about having services turned off. However, there are a couple that I would turn off. I.e. if you are not running a mail client like Evolution or whatever they bundle these days, turn off EXIM4. If you don't have a printer, turn off CUPS.

-Be mindful that open source code means anybody can pore through and find an exploit. On the flip side of the coin, it also means that flaws / bugs / exploits are usually detectd faster by the community. Just because you are running Linux does not make you invincible.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon

One quick point re: safety:

-If you run cross-platform software such as Java, you are susceptible to attacks.

-Run a firewall on your Linux box. Don't punch holes in it unless you understand what you are doing.

-By default, Ubuntu is pretty good about having services turned off. However, there are a couple that I would turn off. I.e. if you are not running a mail client like Evolution or whatever they bundle these days, turn off EXIM4. If you don't have a printer, turn off CUPS.

-Be mindful that open source code means anybody can pore through and find an exploit. On the flip side of the coin, it also means that flaws / bugs / exploits are usually detectd faster by the community. Just because you are running Linux does not make you invincible.

While that's true, linux also has such a small number of users that it's really not worth it at all for anybody to target it.

Edit: Not saying that means you don't have to worry about it, just that it's much less likely that somebody will even come up with a virus for a linux system, let alone that your particular machine will happen to be infected.
edit on 12-1-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I actually took that challenge a bit ago. I downloaded it via the option where I guess it sets on top of windows. By the Ubuntu Desktop Edition Windows installer.

I'll even detail how it went...

Download and Install went smooth. It put a nice little option where I could boot into Windows or Ubuntu. I'll admit, I didn't spend a huge amount of time in Ubuntru - but it seemed nice from what I found (at least thus far).

The good - A few hours in Ubuntu land..
I was impressed with its speed, its looks and how many things either came with it or you could get for free. All in all, it looked to be a good OS. I mainly just kicked the tires for a bit and surfed the web a little, but I liked it. But sadly, this would not last....

Update Land..
I had to run to the dentist and Ubuntu said it had a bunch of updates to install. Fine, do your stuff, my new little friend. When I get back we'll play some more. I went to the dentist and Ubuntu happily chugged away at updating itself.

Bad Grub Does Bad Things
So I get back and Ubuntu says it wants to update Grub. Now I didn't know what the heck Grub is and it didn't tell me that I saw. However, Ubuntu had played so nicely with everything so far I told it, "Sure little buddy - if it'll make you happy. Go ahead and install Grub". It snickered evilly and soon told me to reboot.

Purgatory and Arcane Rituals.
At reboot I get a message about something not found and a prompt that says "Grub Rescue>". That's it.
I hop on net on another PC and do a bit of research. I find on various forums and Wiki's that likely Grub has whacked something (no kidding) but that I *might* be able to get things back to rights.

According to these sources getting things back to rights involved typing in various cryptic commands into the command line in set order and a set time. I think there was also something about having to sacrifice a black rat to Baal on midnight during the new moon and it might aid the process to work better. In any event, except for "ls" none of the commands would even work.. "ls" showed the HD's but no partitions.

Redemption on CD and back to Windows..
I pulled out my Vista CD - booted from that - from there i was able to run something to fix the boot rec. I booted - I got the option to go to Vista or Ubuntu. I picked Vista - It worked!!! I still the get option now to boot into Vista or Ubuntu. I haven't picked Ubuntu since that day. It may work -it may not. I honestly haven't had time or willingness to play with whatever now awaits me if it I pick that option.

The "Frogs that is TDLTR version" - I liked Ubuntu till it trashed my boot sector. I haven't been back to it since then.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon

Gaming? Getting better, but not so hot. Buy a console.

No thanks again.

I am a game modder. PC games are where it's at.

Console games are too limited. Plus I prefer the mouse over a joystick. But I do have joysticks and controllers for specific games that work best with those tools.

link   
While it's made a lot of progress, Ubuntu and linux in general still has a long ways to go towards being user-friendly for those who don't know much about computers.

link   
reply to post by warbird03

Good point.

If I was evil, I would rather write malware geared toward a) the largest target audience, b) the softer targets.

That would be Windows!

Please note that I do not hate Windows. There are certain programs that I rely upon that are only viable in Windows. I'm just damn frustrated with the licensing aspects of it.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

That's the main reason I don't bother trying things like that.

There are always countless problems, and it will take forever to make it work right.

Meanwhile, I could be out surfing the web or playing a game right now.

Life doesn't last forever, I don't have the time to get headaches over screwing with OS software.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

I wouldn't be so worried about a virus, as most distros do not run as root out of the box.

I would be more worried about a browser hijacking.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Zingdad

Could you elaborate on the hardware issues perhaps? I'm gonna try it on my laptop but have no idea what to look out for lol

Thanks

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespannersCollapses into a haze of can't be botherdness

edit on 12-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

Same here, always mean to learn it, maybe one day.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Here is a fabulous tutorial on how to install Mint or Ubuntu using the virtualclonedrive INTO your Windows software center. In this way, you can boot into Windows or Mint WITHOUT actually having to install it onto your harddrive. It functions like a software package and can be uninstalled in the same way you would uninstall any other software package in Windows. I've tried it, it worked without issue, though I've since wiped Win7 from my netbook and so it's no logner needed. Highly recommend this option for those who want to try linux but do NOT want to deal with dual-booting the hard drive. These are the directions for either Ubuntu or Mint, whichever you choose...

easily install ubuntu with windows

install linux Mint on your windows computer

edit on 12-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by March of the Fire Ants

Just run it. See what doesn't work.

Most likely everything will work except certain wifi chipsets (which has gotten tremendously better), and printers made by certain companies.

The reason for this is due to drivers not being released for the OS, and not being made open source.

There are workarounds for most of these issues. For example NDISwrapper to "wrap" a windows wifi driver for Linux consumption.

If you really want to investigate, cross reference the model of yor computer and each device to the Ubuntu supported hardware list.

I remember the good old days of compiling everything - it sucked! I have been amazed at how far the Linux system has come.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

That was hilarious the way you wrote your post. I have done the exact same thing.

Windows does not like being the second listed OS.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join