It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian IT Companies to Outsource to the US - Prelude to the Uniform Identity Card for US?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
After shipping so many IT jobs to India I'd think this would be the last thing to happen. But, it is actually being proposed at the moment.

Unfortunately, it seems more a PR move than anything..

India must open more US units to get 'job-creator' tag

The President of US India Business Council has proposed that Indian IT companies open up small branches in the US and hire US workers. Why? Its all about perception....

BANGALORE: India's top IT companies need to open new facilities in the U.S to create more employment opportunities for locals and to change the perception that they are job-takers, a leading US business forum member has said.

Ok - That begs the question, why would Indian IT firms care what people in the US think of them?

Thankfully - Ron Somers , President of US India Business Council is a font of information on this...

'And if I were Wipro, or Infosys, I would do my level best to open up virgin facilities in the United States where you can create jobs so that Americans in Arkansas, in Nebraska, in every constituency where important Senators and Congressmen sit, at least can point to the fact that India is a job-creator and not job-taker', he said.

Somers, who had previously worked as Unocal Corporation's Chief Executive in India, said the impression in the US is that India is 'next China' and "oh, my God, all jobs are going overseas (to India). We have to mitigate that concern".

Well - ok it will help because if people view the Indian companies in a good light then they won't put heat on politicians who in turn, won't put heat on businesses and that will help the businesses make even more $$.

That's dark enough - but is there an even darker side to it than that? The coming of the Uniform Identity Card to the US?

Somers raves about the card...

We can't let that perception take grip", he added. Somers hailed the UID (Uniform Identity Card) project, saying it's going to broaden the tax base and completely rid the rot in the public distribution system.

He said the UID introduction will also help in stemming leakages and pilferage and eventually help the growth to become 'inclusive and democratic".

"It's possibly the greatest democratic experiment underway anywhere on the world at this moment of time", he said.

I like to know exactly what this experiment is. I suspect they are eying the US workers as next guinea pigs in it.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Strange that they want to extend the UID scheme to the USA.
Like there are not enough of these ID systems anyways.

More info on the UID:

UID for Indians to be a boon

I think its a very evil plan in the name of democracy.
Imagine having a database of over 1 billion humans with their DNA information, Eye scans, finger prints etc.

No RFID seen on the horizon for this project yet, or is it not seen by the public?

They are painting a very pretty picture of this project, but not everyone is convinced.
I personally hope this doesn't see the light of day.

Why should the UID be feared

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Double Post
edit on 12-1-2011 by letmeDANz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Usually what happens is companies will find it easier to outsource to the local foreign companies than those overseas. More American job losses. Less reason to get education on new technology when your $100K high tech job is filled by five $20K foreign workers.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
And after that happens, those jobs outsourced to the US from india will be out-outsourced to bangladesh, to save money.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I have another thought; perhaps the Indian companies will now have established and valid US addresses. Americans are striving to "buy American" when ever possible. They will probably set up small distribution centers with large warehouse capacity.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sicksonezer0

Actually yeah, Bangladesh is currently one of the top places to outsource to and believe it or not Africa is seen as possible up-and-coming place to offshore too.

Who knows - maybe eventually business will run out of the 3rd world countries to offshore too - and by then their original home countries will be close to 3rd world so they'll just start the cycle all over again.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
But,how many of these jobs are going to be empty service jobs which do not actually produce anything? That's the real question. I hope people in the media won't get too excited about this seeing as it's unlikely any meaningful production will be done in America due to labor cost,taxes and government regulations.

Any jobs created from this small field offices will likely be on-site and off-site technical support (think call-centers and field technicians). How many of those employees are going to be in-sourced and how many would actually be local is another thing to think about. Not much to 'Woot!' about in my book.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

Well yeah - that's one of the things I'm saying above. Even if the Indian companies do open an office here they it seems they'll be small. Done more as a pr thing to try and show they aren't "job takers" than to actually help.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
reply to post by sicksonezer0

Actually yeah, Bangladesh is currently one of the top places to outsource to and believe it or not Africa is seen as possible up-and-coming place to offshore too. ...

Great. Now I won't know if that Nigerian bank email is real or not.

new topics

top topics

join