It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: If Aliens Exist, They Probably Want To Destroy Us

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
i agree with muzzleflash, this is so ridiculous it has to be considered fear mongering. He says something about these beings being just as resource hungry as we humans are, my question to that is this: Why would such an advanced race of beings need fossil fuels or resources that this planet has to offer and why wouldn't they at first try to work out a deal instead of going directly to invasion? Quick side thought, i had read somewhere once that USO's may use the salt water in our oceans as a sort of inter galactic fueling station for their propulsion systems, if that's the case wouldn't it be a good way to start a peaceful relationship? They can use our salt water and they help us with various ecological and industrial and tech issues, DONE! but alas we have the sociopaths at the top of the world making the decisions. It seems to me that whomever conducted this "study" was pretty one dimensional in his thinking believing that all races in the universe are just as blood thirsty and ruthless as we are. Clearly this is a bogus "study" again in quotations because of its sheer ridiculousness.

And one more thing. Why do some refer to aliens as "creatures" why not "Beings"? Seems it would be getting off on the wrong foot by insulting these intelligent races by referring to them as Creatures. Let's for once just put aside the ego and just be equal as "Beings of the universe".

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Ok ok. Folks lets go back to the OP.

First in case anyone has missed it, this is a study published by none other than The Royal Society
The Christian Science Moniter is just reporting on it. The Study has now been on dozens of news publicatons so if you have opinions about the study try for your own sake to seperate them from the Christian Science Moniter.

And to answer that I am not a Christian Scientist.

If you dont know who The Royal Society is...please take this moment to find out.

If you feel that the article is patronizing, I would agree.

The reason the article is patronizing is it is propaganda. I tried to make that clear in the OP...
however there may have been a few questions marks left out on my part.

So who is this group scientists that are trying to shape up the Alien scene?

I urge you, all of you to check out who they are. They are not just at work shaping the opinions of the world about Aliens, they also construct policy on geoengineering. They want to engineer Earths Atmosphere.

Does anyone else here see a connection?

So maybe they consider themselves to be seriously powerful? Yes.

Are they? Yes, here on earth for the moment

Do I agree with them? NO.

Obviously, the propostion that there are Aliens intrigues us. By the comments in this thread I would say that its an extreme emotional issue. That in itself is a mystery.

I think that men who are "experts" know this, and they see a huge opportunity to do what some men do well.
Grab power and control.

While I see the lesser side of men, I can not say that the human race is without its redeeming value.
Surely, if there is another race out there - either they are perfect or they are not.

And if they are not perfect ......well.......

And this has been a great conversation, and I hope it continues.

We can all do without words such as -hate- and other such terms.

Obviously this is an emotional subject however ask yourself when you use the word -hate- to describe your feelings about how awful the human race is what does that mean?

edit on 13-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
As much as I love aliens...I hate them. They are my biggest fascination and my greatest fear. If I ever saw a legitimate extraterrestrial craft or, god forbid, an extraterrestrial walking around in my vicinity, I would probably poop my pants and then run run run and die of a heart attack. Not necessarily in that order.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatestKIdd

You know you may have just summed up the core of the issue for many of us.
I have to admit, I am near you in feelings.

I am also 100% certain that there are men who are powerful, that are not kind, crave power, and will use any means whatsoever to manipulate the rest of the human race. Its just the facts, the way it is.

So what do they have in mind by harnessing the power of the idea of the Aliens?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I really think its a 50/50 chance on aliens being friendly or hostile. I understand why some scientists say that we should prepare for the worst. It's always better to be prepared, however, I do not think even the greatest human minds will have a greater chance of predicting what aliens motive would be than any other person will have.
I think most people agree that we do not even completely understand how the human mind works. How then, can we even begin to predict how an alien mind might work. We can try to use our logic and reasoning to deduce what an alien life-form might want with us, but the truth of the matter is we have no idea how their minds work, what kind of ethics they follow, or how they reason.

This might be common sense to some, but I just think its funny how scientists like Steven Hawking come out with theories about why aliens would be hostile. I think someone with a mind that great should understand that his guess is as good as anyone else's when it comes to how aliens would react to us.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by dumpaling

I agree with you with the interjected idea that its possible these men know more than they let on.
So they may know things ...they are privy to information that is hidden from the public about
"aliens" and such.

Even still its as you say...they most likely have not a real clue.

However they might have an agenda.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Of course, we can only speculate here. The problem is, trying to guage their thought process and method of reasoning. For goodness sake, we cannot even have a meaningful conversation with another species on our own planet.
Aliens may not view life in the same manner as we do. They could be a warrior culture, their technology developed for the sole purpose of conquest. They could be on a religious crusade across the cosmos (convert or kill). They may be parasitic by nature. They may just totally ignore us. or, they could be charitable and travel with the sole purpose of enlightening and advancing all that they meet.

Then again, thier motives could be totally "alien" (no pun intended) to us.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

If an alien culture exists (I believe this is so.) then the scenarios derived must reflect what the TBTB see us as, if the main-stream exerts its influence. War mongering becomes the principle expression for alien behavior because they, the human TPTB know no other way to behave when facing the unknown (John Lennon).
Contrary to this holding, we may be considered valuable for our differing approaches to the wending trial of living. A unique perspective to consider may be a tonic to the ennui of being a highly developed, well provided for civilization. We could be valued as entertainment.
Consider that the economy of the entertainment industry is a major player in our world's issues. Look at the profitability of being interesting.
If a civilization is bored and capable, how much is an odd and new perspective on music worth. How much is a piece of fiction prized or a new way to philosophize?
When we are able to provide for all basic needs we seek diversions. We crave that which will amuse us.
Why would they be any different?
They are probably stealing Direct Dish signals and don't want us to perish. If SNL goes off line what will they do on Saturday nights? Go bowling with asteroids?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

This is exactly right!!

I just hope if/when they do come knocking, they don't go to our leaders, or to Texas

I hope they drop into grand central or something, make official, public contact with people like you and me!!

Mind you, if he/she points a gun at me at first meeting, then, I'll rip their heads off with my bare hands..lol
edit on 1/14/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

So aliens will look just like us, and they are out to get us.

Hawking says if aliens exist, they may come for us.
www.space.com...

So if you meet an alien, maybe you dont want to meet him with open arms.

There is reason to be wary of such creatures, according to Conway Morris.

"If intelligent aliens exist, they will look just like us, and given our far-from-glorious history, this should give us pause for thought," he writes in the study, which was published today (Jan. 10) in the journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society

Oh no not the The Royal Society! The Masterminds

So the real question is, what do we really know about aliens?

And if they come for us, what could we possibly do?

www.csmonitor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

Thank you very much for posting the link to Hawking! *S*

I took the liberty of reading the article, and when I read this part:

In the four-part series, Hawking explores topics such as aliens, time travel, and the origin of the universe.

In one episode, he suggests an alien species could be capable of harnessing solar energy to open up a wormhole in space to travel to distant parts of the universe.
"It might be possible to collect the energy from an entire star," he says. "To do that they could deploy millions of mirrors in space, encircling the whole sun and feeding the power to one single collection point."

And I recalled watching a YouTube video titled: "UFO's cause Solar Reflex Vortex part one"

Link is here --> www.youtube.com...

The above video may suggest that UFO's are using our own sun for time travel.

What are your thoughts?! Very cool video.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I am skeptical of any assertion which includes statements such as...

These two unpalatable options are pretty much the only possibilities....

... in the absence of proof to that effect.

There are always other possibilities, and we know relatively little about far distant, extrasolor star systems and their potential for life. We can extrapolate based on our own evolution and environment, but we aren't really sure of that much, in a definitive, absolute context that would make me comfortable with saying those are the only two possibilities.

There may be scenarios, evolutionary patterns, and behaviors that we can't even begin to conceive of, let alone accurately hypothesize about. For all we know, life - even complex, intelligent, communicating life - could exist in forms we can't even dream of, living in ways wherein even the most "normal" and "accepted" of standards or organizational norms might not even apply.

Our entire means of thinking, however parallel and complex, is ultimately defined by our sensory capabilities and how our brains work. Is it inconceivable that intelligent life could evolve that is organized completely differently than we are, and which "thinks" in ways so different to us as to be unrecognizable? It's at least within the realm of possibility.

And for all we really know, we might be the exception. What if that kind of inconceivable life is more common in the universe, and entities that think and act like us are the abberations? How would we know? We can't at present, that's for sure. So while I understand and can entertain the theory being put forward, I think to say that those are the only two possibilities is logically fallacious. At least at this point.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Your analogy to "ants" is false on several levels. We see ants all over the place, so we don't consider them special. An ant colony in a complex environment mixed amongst many other life forms in the vicinity (generally speaking) isn't very noticeable nor interesting to us.

However, finding Earth (humans, dolphins, apes, etc.) in the lifeless void of interstellar space would be like finding an ant colony in a large, perfectly white, empty floor the size of the Canada: those ants would stand out, and you would take notice.
edit on 12-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

This reminds me of the Family Guy Episode where, and I quote my favourite scene:

Michael Eisner (while using his rocket pack): Wow, people sure do look like ants from up here. Bill Gates: They are ants, Michael. They ARE ants!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

here is a bit more of information

first-news.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Also what if on "their" planet they also had ancient civilisations that mastered interstellar travel, left the planet and left diagrams or even a vehicle behind, the new civilisation finds it, masters it and voila they can travel lightyears (what I believe to be true with our military on earth) without necessarily being more advanced than us humans ?

What is possible on our planet is possible on any other habitable planet, ancient history could possibly be quite the same. I really do not like to assume that aliens have to be extreamly advanced in order to travel, anything is possible...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

what a racist

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by harrytuttle
Any Alien civilization advanced enough to have figured out how to traverse interstellar/galactic space has learned how NOT to destroy itself. Meaning, it has learned how much of an advantage being peaceful is.

Maybe they're so far in advance over us that we seem like ants or even bacteria to them if they even noticed us. Even if you wouldn't purposely harm an ant, how many have you killed by accident (or because they were in your kitchen) in your lifetime?

Your analogy to "ants" is false on several levels. We see ants all over the place, so we don't consider them special. An ant colony in a complex environment mixed amongst many other life forms in the vicinity (generally speaking) isn't very noticeable nor interesting to us.

However, finding Earth (humans, dolphins, apes, etc.) in the lifeless void of interstellar space would be like finding an ant colony in a large, perfectly white, empty floor the size of the Canada: those ants would stand out, and you would take notice.
edit on 12-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

There is a well known "zoo hypothesis" by epistemologist John A. Ball. I don't particularly agree with this hypothesis but his whole paper can be read here:
John A. Ball on ET's and Humans

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Their Agenda is very plain and simple.......FEAR..... then CONTROL. Lets take abduction, how many actual accounts are extraterrestrial in origin...or in fact TPTB carefully picking their victims knowing they'd release all the details to the world. To the poor victim it would be very real, strange grey aliens sticking pins in every orifice. But it may be just a movie set.
I truly believe that they are not as nasty as you are LEAD......to believe...So TPTB(which ever Organisation it concerns)the motive...being Lead to Fear for means of Control.
Which leaves the question why now? We due a visit?

edit on 14-1-2011 by DreamerOracle because: errors

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DreamerOracle

Originally posted by DreamerOracle

Their Agenda is very plain and simple.......FEAR..... then CONTROL....

(which ever Organisation it concerns)the motive...being Lead to Fear for means of Control.
Which leaves the question why now? We due a visit?

That is my observation also.
Which leads me to believe they have something to gain, and either are aware of events to come, or will manufacture events to come.

If they are aware of events they think eventually they might not be able to control, they may attempt a preemptive event, manufactured or other wise.

So to answer simply, it seems yes. It seems that all of the publicity is leading up to something.

As I have offered my opinion before, This study is not offereing much evidence, mostly opinion.
In fact it may offer no evidence in some opinions.

Its timing must be questioned.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
99.99 percent bof aliens are good and do not wish to hurt anything.
the problem really is with a.i who do not reach proper sentient consciousness as they progress to quickly and so forth.
the trouble makers are basicly technology which is alive they did not evolve like you and i into sane and normalized beings.
ai evolution is complicated and dangeriys gods for example must live for trillions of years and maintain sanity etc

echnolgy must be strictly controlled as advanced tech is to dangerous o be common place.the only ones who should be allowed avanced tech is guardians such as god and the law.
he only danger is if the gods and law go mad,what happens then.
i think the answer is to make the gods and he law totaly open to observation in terms of their ideals and beliefs aswell as heir intentions and so forth ala a constant inspection of them.

another answer is to force ai code to be strictly controlled ala professional code writers whom guide young ai ala schools for ai and so forth.
edit on 14-1-2011 by MrRagnarok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join