It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thunderstorms hurl anti-matter into space!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Yes, I know the title makes it sound like this is going to be another weird rant, but NASA's FERMI gamma ray satellite has detected evidence that gamma ray flashes caused by the acceleration of electrons in thunderstorms actually hurl streams of electrons and their anti-particle, positrons, into space!

Scientists think the antimatter particles were formed in a terrestrial gamma-ray flash (TGF), a brief burst produced inside thunderstorms and shown to be associated with lightning. It is estimated that about 500 TGFs occur daily worldwide, but most go undetected.

"These signals are the first direct evidence that thunderstorms make antimatter particle beams," said Michael Briggs, a member of Fermi's Gamma-ray Burst Monitor (GBM) team at the University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH). He presented the findings Monday, during a news briefing at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Seattle.

Space Daily

Just when you thought it was safe to go out in a violent thunderstorm, NASA tells us that in addition to the risk of being hit by lightning, you're being exposed to 511 KeV jolts of gamma radiation!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Star and Flag, good thread, crazy premise. I can't add much to the discussion, as my hobbies don't rely on the Jet Propulsion Lab or anything. Cool thread, well done.

new topics

join