It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

71% opposes debt ceiling increase: Reuters/Ipsos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Public strongly opposes debt ceiling increase: Reuters/Ipsos

The U.S. public overwhelmingly opposes raising the country's debt limit even though failure to do so could hurt America's international standing and push up borrowing costs, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Wednesday.

Some 71 percent of those surveyed oppose increasing the borrowing authority, the focus of a brewing political battle over federal spending. Only 18 percent support an increase

Like it matters what the country wants. 95%+ of the population were against the bank bailout... what happened? They passed it anyway.

Interesting :

WHAT TO CUT?

Only 24 percent say the country can afford to cut back on education spending, a likely Republican target, and 21 percent support cuts to law enforcement.

With the Pentagon fighting wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, 51 percent supported cutbacks to military spending.

Less than half, 45 percent, support an expected Republican effort to pare environmental enforcement.

Some 53 percent support cutting the budgets of financial regulators like the Securities and Exchange Commission, in spite of the widespread consensus that a lax regulatory atmosphere contributed to the devastating financial crisis of 2007-2009.

And 47 percent support cutbacks to national parks, which were shuttered for several weeks during the budget battles of 1995 and 1996.

Basically people don't want to cut anything... It's gonna be a world of hurt when you are forced to massively cut in all those programs.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Unless TPTB wants the chaos. It's a possible scenario. Replace the US Federal Reserve with the global one, it's a stepping stone for global governance. The house could fail the resolution just like what happened September 2008.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Who here among us wants to see the debt ceiling raised based on a strictly philosophical standpoint? Let’s see the hands. And who among us thinks the debt ceiling has to be raised out of necessity? Let’s see the hands.

My point is that none of us here want to see the debt ceiling raised on a philosophical or opinionated standpoint but the realist in us recognizes what has to be done unless we want to enter an economic crisis far more devastating than our current one.

Americans need to suck it up as we have been taken a free ride off the government, i.e. taxpayer dollars for far too long. States are facing crisis right now not because they are bad states or bad people but rather they have bad management. Same goes with the federal government. Too many taxes, regulations, bureaucracies, and instability for any sane business person to invest in starting or expanding their business at this present time.

We need to start making painful cuts and immediately, whether they are popular or not the point of having a Representative Democracy is to voice the public opinion but also moderate it. Part of this moderating process is to make many people angry but do what is necessary for our long term economic health.

I was watching Morning Joe today and they had New Jersey Governor Chris Christie on talking about how the Democrats in 2009 wanted to raise taxes and regulations but now they are scrambling to cut government and work with the Republicans. Maybe they have come to their senses that having a government too big is just as bad for the citizens as having a government too small.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I am one of those who recognize the pain in not raising the debt ceiling and still believe we should not do it. It is time to cut government spending. There are lot's of places to cut.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I wish people would realize that the gov isn’t as stupid as they think. They KNOW what is going to happen either way. If we raise the ceiling we destroy the currency further and faster-country collapses. If we don’t we have an internal collapse due to all the programs and dependants.
There is no way out of this, prepare while you can.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I don't see what you're complaining about.

Nothing wrong with this picture, is there?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8e66d7cc2be0.png[/atsimg]

top topics

join