It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do not abuse words

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
"Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society." - President John Adams

In every free society individuals, politicians, media personalities, and religious figures have the ability to perform the beautiful action of speaking their mind and expressing their opinions without being subject to punishment. While some words are glorious to hear and others so moving in their deep meaning to individuals but there remains a part of our linguistics that is ‘dark’. In it lies the words of hate, fear, and frustration but they are not alone, standing with them are words that have been deliberately taken out of context and used as a subject of attack.

President John Adams was absolutely correct in his analogy of words and their impact when deliberately taken out of context or used as a form of abuse. All words have a specific definition and they cannot be rewritten however much some may want. This does not keep them from being used as attacks against other individuals, areas, ideas, or organizations.

When words are deliberately used to fuel political polarization masquerading as fact we lose all direction of what is real and what is imaginary. The word, much like the pen, is mightier than the sharpest sword. It can pierce through hearts and minds faster than a bullet and scar something more than the largest physical wound. That is why words must be kept on the chain they have been put on, using them strictly as their definition entails so to not be used as a weapon for any reason.

In politics this is most critical as scrambling definitions of words can lead to extreme division and incitement to hatred among otherwise respectable people. We must not be loose with our words. Recognize what your words mean, think before you speak, and remember that a word is not just a word, it can be the verbal birthday present or the verbal bullet.

If you will not even consider what I said please at least listen to a president, a founding father, and an intellectual genius.
edit on 1/12/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well I never expected this thread to become popular but I never thought it would just die without any replies. Oh well…

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

My doctor gave me some pretty good advice the other day...

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Since you used intelligence and common sense and are not attacking ne spectrum of the political universe garantees that there will be no responses.

Plus a segment of the populous likes to hide behind the 1st Amendment to spew racist crud and think that the doc somehow immunizies them from being called out or held liable for their actions.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SamTGonzalez
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

It's a really good one.

Unfortunately, in the real world, if those who mind is powerful, you could end up in the gutter.

The bible is full of verses regarding the this.

Proverbs 15:1-2 A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, But the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
:
Unfortunately, in the real world, if those who mind is powerful, you could end up in the gutter.

The bible is full of verses regarding the this.

Proverbs 15:1-2 A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, But the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness.

Aw c'mon, who you tryin to kid.

You didn't take the time to look that up in the Bible, you probably just got it from an episode of 3-2-1 Penguins!.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I have an easy out to this one...

Just stay away from politics altogether!!

new topics

top topics

join