It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plus degrees in December (Polar night ends TWO DAYS early? )

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
(Mods, although this is Breaking News, I needed to translate it and not being positive on its translation, I didn't want to chance mis-quoting anything. So if you need to please move to Breaking News section)

So, what do we have here? The Sun rising two days EARLIER and that is due to global warming (too)?
I am no expert or even a B student when it comes to science but I cannot for the life of me, incorporate let alone understand the Sun's movement on Earth and.................the weather.

Sure I realize we can have optical illusions but come on.....two places on the global (Arctic and Greenland) are experiencing Sun light when it's not supposed to?

And global warming? That cliche has gotten a LOT of bang for its buck! Gore should be proud. But needless to say, that's another area of contention. I thought we are in a mini-ice-age?
So what gives?
Ya think they confused the masses pretty well? I'd rate this a stellar performance by the PTB who want to keep us scratching our heads!

In Greenland, the sun after the polar night of this year has risen by two days early. According to the KNR Radio Greenland showed the central star in Ilulissat, on Tuesday at exactly 12:56:57 Clock. Normally, the sun rises in the West Greenland settlement, however, until 13 First time in January again.

An expert from the University of Vienna suggests that the observation may be due to the recent strong accelerated melting of the Greenland ice sheet. One thing is certain - the constellation of the stars has certainly changed.
The Greenlandic town IlulissatAP / Michael KappelerIlulissat is located in West Greenland and living from fishing and tourism.

Inhabitants of the third-largest city with 4,500 inhabitants of Greenland, made because of the early sun appeared worried. "Here in the place the sun comes up until 13 January. Since one or the other probably does not, "cited a 74-year-old KNR locals in a report on its website.
No change in the Earth's rotation

Scientists rule out any case that the observation could have geophysical or astronomical reasons. "In the constellation of the stars has not changed," said Wolfgang Lenhardt, head of the geophysics department at the Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics (ZAMG) in Vienna. "There would have been an outcry around the world." The data of Earth's axis and Earth's rotation would be monitored continuously and meticulously.
Horizon decreases

translate.google.com...|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8
news.orf.at...

Then we had the report of light shining in High Arctic during their 24-hour period of darkness. And that TOO is being blamed on global warming.

People in the High Arctic say their 24-hour darkness isn't as dark as it used to be, and a weather researcher says it's because of the warming climate.

"We still have a daylight and there's still blue, green, red down there — there's sun sign still," said Zipporah Ootooq Aronsen, who lives in Resolute Bay, Nunavut. "It's not usually like that."

People in Resolute Bay now sometimes see a distant island that in the past was only visible during daylight hours.

Read more: www.cbc.ca...#ixzz1ApjWUhwB

Really now.

edit on 12-1-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2011 by Human_Alien because: grammar and quote

edit on 19/1/2011 by Sauron because: removed eleven unnecessary question marks from title

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Let me ask a question.
Why can't Earth AND the stars be relocating/moving (tilting if you will) at the same time?

Let me put it this way please. We gauge our position here on Earth by the proximity of other stars and planets, right?
So whose to say, the whole entire galaxy isn't moving at the same time?

If Earth tilted, what would be the give-away? The location of the other stars/planets, right? But what if, there's a galactic event (yet known to modern man) where every satellite in a galaxy experiences change all at once?

We obviously haven't figured things out here on Earth so I wouldn't put too much onus and trust in the people in charge of telling us what's going on off - Earth at this juncture.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I think it would be more appropriate to try linking this to climate change instead of global warming (which, IMO, is absolute rubbish).

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
That's a star and flag from me, this is very interesting although I don't have a clue what it means. Surely if the sun has come back two days early this is either due to a discrepancy in the calendar or tilt of the earth. How can it be due to the ice sheet melting? OP please could you edit your post to include one more question mark as I don't think there are enough.
Polar night ends TWO DAYS early???????????? +1
edit on 12-1-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by auxxon

I think it would be more appropriate to try linking this to climate change instead of global warming (which, IMO, is absolute rubbish).

I personally think this should be duplicated and inserted in many topic threads. Besides, I don't know how to switch. I think that's up to a Mod at this point but I did alert them.

What is your position? You think Global warming is rubbish or the article itself (or my expressed opinion)?

Thanks

PS I don't think I added enough question marks

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

my opnion , thy hasnt the entire world noticed this too ?

unless its :

1 a hoax
2 an observational error / error in the tables
3 greenland has moved - relative to other land masses

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
That's a star and flag from me, this is very interesting although I don't have a clue what it means. Surely if the sun has come back two days early this is either due to a discrepancy in the calendar or tilt of the earth. How can it be due to the ice sheet melting? OP please could you edit your post to include one more question mark as I don't think there are enough.
Polar night ends TWO DAYS early???????????? +1

I'm with ya Tarifa. I am trying to play "weedwacker' and spin this around but I don't see how any weather-related phenomenon could POSSIBLY effect the Suns position on Earth.

This is not to say it doesn't give off optical illusions like I mentioned above but.....either the Sun rises or it doesn't. And this goes for the Arctic too. They were supposed to be in 24-hours of darkness but they too, had light-----being blamed on global warming.

This Global gobbledigook warming is beyond played out and has run its course.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

How can it be due to the ice sheet melting?

Apparently the melting ice sheet lowers the horizon, hence the light is visible earlier then expected.

From the translated page:

Thomas Posch from the Institute for Astronomy, University of Vienna completed astronomical reasons for the premature end of the polar night also made. He suggests that the observation is due to a change in the local horizon. An accelerated by the melting of the Greenland ice sheet of lower horizon appears as "by far the most obvious" explanation.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

my opnion , thy hasnt the entire world noticed this too ?

unless its :

1 a hoax
2 an observational error / error in the tables
3 greenland has moved - relative to other land masses

People have been saying the Sun's position is off only it's not being announced on the Official "We'll Tell You What's What' website

I thought about Greenland possibly moving. That would be horrific but that would at least help explain it. But what about the Arctic then?

I haven't studied the Sun's position every day for the past 50 years to know where it's supposed to be so it could be an entire 25-degrees off and I wouldn't know it.
It rises before I get up and sets around 6PM right now in Florida. But I don't know exactly where it should be in our skies. Do you? I am not making fun at you, I'm just asking does the average person REALLY pay attention? I doubt it.

Now the argument will be, why isn't anyone saying so?
And to that I'll ask, 'like who"??
NASA?

I am not saying the Earth has officially tilted but putting aside all these unofficial reports we have the ancient prophecies subscribing to a physical pole shift too which we need not dismiss so quickly at these very confusing times here on Earth.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by auxxon

I personally think this should be duplicated and inserted in many topic threads. Besides, I don't know how to switch. I think that's up to a Mod at this point but I did alert them.

What is your position? You think Global warming is rubbish or the article itself (or my expressed opinion)?

Thanks

PS I don't think I added enough question marks

lol....no, I don't think the article is rubbish, just the term 'Global Warming', and all it's associated propaganda. Climate Change, on the other hand, I think is more relevant as not everywhere is getting 'warmer', but weather patterns all over the world seem to be changing (some places getting warmer, some wetter, some colder). It's affecting everyone. Just take a look at the recent flooding in Oz, and the 'freak' cold weather across Europe as examples.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne

Apparently the melting ice sheet lowers the horizon, hence the light is visible earlier then expected.

Not questioning you but...... two days? How high/low does one have to be on terra firma (or in this case terra-freeze) to notice a change in the Sun's position?

What about sailors? Their position are constantly changing with the tides. Does that mean their days/nights are off too?

This sounds like a plausible excuse but why are we to believe them anymore than the 'other' people claiming the poles are moving (hence: Earth is tilting)? After all, the people giving this explanation (of the land melting) are only guessing as much as anyone else is right now. Only, these people have access to the media where as the others don't.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

We are good. I just posted the info about the horizon lowering per the article.

My opinion? If the ice sheet has melted (big if) that much to make the sun appear to raise 2 days early, I would hope that someone noticed that. The melting part, that would be a huge difference! I think there is something going on with our little planet. What it is, I don't know.

Thank you for this thread, never would have known about it otherwise.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne

How can it be due to the ice sheet melting?

From the translated page:

Thomas Posch from the Institute for Astronomy, University of Vienna completed astronomical reasons for the premature end of the polar night also made. He suggests that the observation is due to a change in the local horizon. An accelerated by the melting of the Greenland ice sheet of lower horizon appears as "by far the most obvious" explanation.

If that is right I wonder how much ice has gone to enable the sun to be seen two days early

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
nm
edit on 12/1/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I think there is a problem with the translation.

The sun can't rise 2 days earlier, since it's already been rising every morning anyway.

Here's a link to sunrise/sunset times for Greenland, as you can see the sun has been rising at about 10 am all month:

Link

Perhaps it was meant to be 2 minutes earlier, which would make sense due to the mild weather Greenland had last year and has melted the ice, lowering the horizon.

www.icenews.is...

They are in darkness for most of the winter and the return of the sun has come two days early, That's how I understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong certainly wouldn't be the first time.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

They are in darkness for most of the winter and the return of the sun has come two days early, That's how I understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong certainly wouldn't be the first time.

That is how I understand it also. I saw a news piece on this a few years ago focusing on the day they celebrate the return of the sun. From a website I found:

In Northern Norway it ts custom to celebrate the return of the sun after the polar night. School children get a day off on the "sun day" in several cities and places. There are even a pastry baked for this occation called the sun bun.
Source

So I think the point of concern is that the "sun day" happened two days early. ???

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
nm
edit on 12/1/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I noticed a few months ago, that in the UK the moon seams to be traveling across the sky faster? It appears earlier in the day and as gone out of site by around 9pm where I live.

This wasnt the case about a year ago as I was laid in bed with my gf one night and we were looking at the full moon out of our window and that was around midnight ish. There is no way the moon will be visible at midnight now with the speed in which it seams to move across the sky.

Maybe this is natural? And iv never noticed before, but I did find it strange.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is a post that i hope a lot of you will see:

We do not know what the earth goes through from time to time so we can't say "OOOH the moon is moving faster across the sky !!! zomg this is so unnatural" ... if this was a cycle like every 20 000 years there is no way we would know about it because the last time it happened nobody thought to write or draw about it.

Same goes for the weather and the sun rising in Greenland.

Yeah here in my country it should be like -5 degrees out or even less but heck ... its +16 ... thats strange but we can't say its unnatural.

Hope this points the reader of this post to the right direction.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Seems you're correct, I got the wrong city.

www.timeanddate.com...

The sun is 2 days early.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join