It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you serious? This is a political issue now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Jared Lee Loughner is a murderer, pure and simple. He also had a very serious mental disability that was quite visible if you took just 10 minutes to watch some of his YouTube videos which clearly depict a man with very incoherent thoughts. What he has done is reprehensible and abhorrent to all sane individuals.

If we can agree on that why do we need to push this any further? In less than 24 hours after the event Liberals pounced on Sarah Palin for her provocative ‘lock and load’ along with her map with a crosshairs on Giffords. Was what Palin did completely immature and lacking of critical thought? Absolutely and she should apologize for any possible incitement that might have stemmed from her end.

However this does not legitimize what Liberals have done. You cannot immediately lash out at Conservative talking heads and blame this attempted murder of a Congresswoman and the murder of 6 innocent people on those who simply speak in a heated tone over the airwaves.

Same goes for those on the right who wish to politicize this event as well. Your argument is completely ungrounded and is completely distasteful. Both sides should tone down their rhetoric on not only this issue but all the other issues too. Our politics has gotten out of hand and instead of pointing the finger at the other side about what happened in Arizona how about we come together for the families, this Congresswoman, our democracy, and stand united against the crimes of this criminal.

No more of this “Obama’s rhetoric caused this” or “Sarah Palin’s rhetoric caused this”. Our nation is trying to heal and we do not need loud mouths out screaming like this is a kindergarten class. You want to have your rights like adults then you must act like adults.

Everything I have said here also applies to people like Ed Schultz, Bill Maher, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and the rest of the media and politicians who want to stir the pot to the breaking point. What we should have learned from this event is that calmer heads prevail and nonsensical violent and pointless heated rhetoric can leave us with a Congresswoman fighting for her life and 6 innocent people dead.

How about you act like mature, respectful, and honorable adults and leave your petty politics at the door. Our nation does not need it and I pray it does not tolerate it any longer. Enough is enough. We don’t need to take away guns, we don’t need to silence the media, and we don’t need to end criticism of government officials. What we need right now is not only a reevaluation of how we operate our psychological system in this nation but also our moral system.

Not morals in the sense of gays or abortion but moral in the sense of respect, cooperation, moderation, and mutual understanding. That is what America needs not only for this moment in our nation’s history but also from this point forward. We can express our political opinions in the court of public opinion without the vulgarity and senseless finger pointing, self-expression can be done positively and while we may not like our government or politicians we should still have respect for all authority.

When you play a game of per se tennis you don’t scream at your opponent if you lose or get mad and storm off. You walk up to them and shake their hand while congratulating them on a job well done. Did you want that win? Most definitely, but they won. It’s only good sportsmanship to be respectful of both your allies and your opposition.

*****This shall be a clear warning. If you bring your political rhetoric onto this thread it will be immediately alerted and your post may be removed. I shall not tolerate that behavior on this thread. So don’t waste the Moderators time.*****
edit on 1/12/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
what? u just re post the same post what for?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I'm a little confused, which rhetoric should we tone down? You seem to be against the right and the left, do you just want the country to stop bickering? I can agree with that, but part of the process of arriving at truth involves a little bit of bickering.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

I'm a little confused, which rhetoric should we tone down?

All rhetoric should be toned down.

You seem to be against the right and the left, do you just want the country to stop bickering?

I want the nonsensical rhetoric, as you call it bickering, to end yes.

I can agree with that, but part of the process of arriving at truth involves a little bit of bickering.

It does not include bickering it includes debate and respectful argument. It does not require pointing fingers and/or immature behavior which we have been experiencing these past 10 years, especially these last 2 years.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

How did I repost the same post?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Originally posted by filosophia

I'm a little confused, which rhetoric should we tone down?

All rhetoric should be toned down.

You seem to be against the right and the left, do you just want the country to stop bickering?

I want the nonsensical rhetoric, as you call it bickering, to end yes.

I can agree with that, but part of the process of arriving at truth involves a little bit of bickering.

It does not include bickering it includes debate and respectful argument. It does not require pointing fingers and/or immature behavior which we have been experiencing these past 10 years, especially these last 2 years.

Well the nonsensical rhetoric is planned and staged, administered by certain talking heads as a meme that the rest of the population cling to. Arguments and counterpoints, or is what I'm saying too much rhetoric? And all rhetoric must be toned down, you say? How about rhetorical devices? Like the last question I just asked you? Or this one? Does that violate your arbitrary view of rhetoric?

Telling anyone to "tone down the rhetoric" is a way of saying "be silent and obey." Sorry, not gonna do it. Why don't you pick another talking point besides "tone down the rhetoric" which is the official party line at the moment (also a form of rhetoric).

So in conclusion, I believe you saying "tone down the rhetoric" is a form of rhetoric. So why not just let people speak their minds? Stiffling free speech will not solve the problem.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
In the UK, we have talk radio, but it is nothing like you guys in the States. The rules are very strict, especially when it comes to showing any type of political preference. This ensures that you do tend to get a more fair and balanced debate when it comes to Politics in Britain and far less vitriol and rhetoric. You dont need to have shock jock loud mouths to have a mature debate in politics.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
As another commenter said in a different thread, this issue will be a "political football" tossed around from one news media to the next and will be use however people see fit. It is the same with the waterboarding. It went from innocent people being tortured to whether or not water-boarding is actual torture! This issue with Lee has gone from the death of a nine-year old girl and others to whether or not politicians should be armed!!!! American politics and the media will draw out anything.

As for the bickering, it would be nice to come to a conclusive truth but as always people argue until they are exhausted and nothing gets settled. That's how all arguments seem to end these days. No truth, no conclusion - just facts vs facts or facts vs opinion or opinions vs opinions.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I'm still waiting for the proof that this lunatics actions had anything at all to do with politics.

Everybody is claiming CNN did it or fox did it or Palin did it or Olbermann did it. Everyone that is except the shooter.

It just looks like he's been stalking her for three or four years now and decided to pin his moon landing, grammar, mind control delusions on her.

Last year some white trash woman up here ran over a guy on the sidewalk and killed him for being a Yankees fan. In that case we had clear proof and admission that the attack was motivated by team preference yet Jeter didn't go on camera blaming the Red Sox.

So why now with no proof is everyone running around trying to blame people who had nothing to do with anything?

What the hell is wrong with these "politico" types? Politics is nothing more than a vehicle to make incredibly stupid people feel smart. This whole circus is quite proof enough of that.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It is like these liberals say "never let a good tragedy/crisis go to waste". If you don't have a good one either take a not so good one and hype it up, or just create one out of thin air. All this BS is just another power grab. Some mentally deranged person goes off the deep end, and the gun grabbers got to use it or lose it. I am getting sick and tired of the whole thing. They are not getting our guns with out a fight, but they are trying to get all the "low hanging fruit" first. Many of the sheeple will listen. Some of them will surrender their weapons after this and other future incidents; believing it is the "right thing to do". Eventually the tyrants in waiting will come for the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Thank you very much, you said it perfectly. They are using this as a political tool to blame the other side without any proof that it was even political let alone driven by conservative or liberal rhetoric. People need to stop trying to point the finger at others.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
What is going on in the political spectrum is almost like blaming cartoons, rock or rap music, video games, religion, etc when someone snaps and does something horrible.

We've all seen it - a mentally unstable individual snaps and does something horrible. It comes out that it is possible he may have some interest in X. Suddenly all people who don't like X come out of the woodwork to claim that X is the culprit and that X must eliminated, tightly controlled, etc. etc...

That is what is happening here - this time political hacks are just using this as an excuse to attempt to control views they do not like / agree with.

Often times a nut is just a nut.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
What the hell is wrong with these "politico" types? Politics is nothing more than a vehicle to make incredibly stupid people feel smart. This whole circus is quite proof enough of that.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I could not agree with you more. While thinking about the comfort that some people are finding in their hate politics, I realized that the politics here in the US has become nothing more than a new religion. Blindly believing that they know more then the "other" person, their side is more righteous then the "other" side.

top topics

join